Vaistech Quick Question...

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-06, 05:37 PM
IS3FIDDY
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vaistech Quick Question...

Guys,

I've got almost everything connected, and now have to connect the Vaistech connectors to the ML unit.

I've searched and searched and can't confirm which connector to plug into. The manual appears to assume it's P1, but it doesn't look the same size (haven't pulled it out yet). Is this the right one? If not, which one is it? I've recycled the below pic from Tim817's thread to point it out for me. Thanks in advance.

Oh, and if the connector is the P1 connector, then how does this affect the Nav Hack?

Thanks,

Ed
Attached Thumbnails Vaistech Quick Question...-step71.jpg  
Old 07-01-06, 05:55 PM
IS3FIDDY
Driver

Ok I didn't want to do it like this, but I figured it out via trial and error...it's the bottom plug...only one that fits.

Anyway, I answered my 2nd question too.

Thanks,

Ed
Old 07-02-06, 06:44 AM
rys
Pole Position

Just to answer the question for anyone that may be searching, the connector isn't pictured here, it's connected to the radio unit at the very bottom of the stack. It should be the third connector in (from the passenger side to the driver's side).

-Brian
Old 07-02-06, 08:26 AM
cleblanc
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SuperLexy
Guys,

Oh, and if the connector is the P1 connector, then how does this affect the Nav Hack?

Thanks,

Ed
Has anyone installed the VAIS unit and also done the nav hack at the same time? How is this done? I have an ES350 and I'm assuming the procedure is the same as the IS model since they both have 5th gen Nav. I am planning on having my VAIS unit professionally installed but need to tell the installer what to do.
Old 07-02-06, 08:39 AM
IS3FIDDY
Driver

Originally Posted by cleblanc
Has anyone installed the VAIS unit and also done the nav hack at the same time? How is this done? I have an ES350 and I'm assuming the procedure is the same as the IS model since they both have 5th gen Nav. I am planning on having my VAIS unit professionally installed but need to tell the installer what to do.
Check out my posting from 10pm-ish last night...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=224916

Also, check this posting from a long time ago...probably the most definitive posting on the subject.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...highlight=vais

HTH,

Ed
Old 07-02-06, 06:16 PM
Fire Chief
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cleblanc
Thanks to all the posters whom have helped to pave the way! I have now completed the install and the Nav Hack and both work fantastic!

I did have trouble finding the iPod harness plug on the radio as to do the Nac Hack 1st, I left the HU upright and could not see the radio plugs hiding under the black shelf of the radio, under the black wireing loom all tied up. All the Nav hack photos do NOT show the bottom of the stack where these plugs live. So, I built up a shelf on the passenger seat with a towel, a board to span the seat without digging into the leather, and finally a foam block and towel, so the brackets could safely dig into something soft. Then pulled out the HU further and laid it on its side. Carefully uncut the bottom loom and there are the plugs! For those who have not yet made the journey, here are three pictures. First is loom uncut, all plugs in, Second (out-of-focus, sorry) is the plug you want, only partially in. Third, is the Vastech Y-cable plugged into the HU and factory harness, BEFORE re-wrapping some of the Y-Cable loom to tidy it up, before reinstall.
http://web.mac.com/stugary/iWeb/Gary...e/Vastech.html

I mounted my unit behind the carpet under the glove box, so I can access it eaiser. When doing so, the earlier post about routing the cables, over and behind the HU bracket is CRITICAL for the ash tray to clear and work. I mounted the iPod in the armrest bin, but behind the cup holder mount, so we still have the cup holder. Again, thanks for the post on how to do that!

I tried MD mode, none of the advanced text screens showed. I then used CD mode, same result. On My ML, the CD-MP3 mode gave me all the text and folder lists, works great!

The "I-agree" bypass screen setting was off as the unit shipped from Vas Tech, so I had to enable this per the manual. All in all, I am thrilled to have a great degree of iPod control, even while driving, plus being able to FINALLY listen to DVD Video music disks when driving!
Old 07-02-06, 07:23 PM
IS3FIDDY
Driver

Originally Posted by Fire Chief
Thanks to all the posters whom have helped to pave the way! I have now completed the install and the Nav Hack and both work fantastic!

I did have trouble finding the iPod harness plug on the radio as to do the Nac Hack 1st, I left the HU upright and could not see the radio plugs hiding under the black shelf of the radio, under the black wireing loom all tied up. All the Nav hack photos do NOT show the bottom of the stack where these plugs live. So, I built up a shelf on the passenger seat with a towel, a board to span the seat without digging into the leather, and finally a foam block and towel, so the brackets could safely dig into something soft. Then pulled out the HU further and laid it on its side. Carefully uncut the bottom loom and there are the plugs! For those who have not yet made the journey, here are three pictures. First is loom uncut, all plugs in, Second (out-of-focus, sorry) is the plug you want, only partially in. Third, is the Vastech Y-cable plugged into the HU and factory harness, BEFORE re-wrapping some of the Y-Cable loom to tidy it up, before reinstall.
http://web.mac.com/stugary/iWeb/Gary...e/Vastech.html

I mounted my unit behind the carpet under the glove box, so I can access it eaiser. When doing so, the earlier post about routing the cables, over and behind the HU bracket is CRITICAL for the ash tray to clear and work. I mounted the iPod in the armrest bin, but behind the cup holder mount, so we still have the cup holder. Again, thanks for the post on how to do that!

I tried MD mode, none of the advanced text screens showed. I then used CD mode, same result. On My ML, the CD-MP3 mode gave me all the text and folder lists, works great!

The "I-agree" bypass screen setting was off as the unit shipped from Vas Tech, so I had to enable this per the manual. All in all, I am thrilled to have a great degree of iPod control, even while driving, plus being able to FINALLY listen to DVD Video music disks when driving!
Hey Fire Chief...looks like we both took on a Holiday Weekend Project...and succeeded!!

One question I have for you, though...do you have an IS? If so, how did you get the the unit to work in CD-MP3 mode? When I did this, the CD/DVD changer would not have any volume. I had to change it back to CD mode to get my CD/DVD to work again...

I'm wondering...if you were able to make this work...has everyone else, as well?

Thanks,

Ed
Old 07-02-06, 08:22 PM
Fire Chief
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SuperLexy
Hey Fire Chief...looks like we both took on a Holiday Weekend Project...and succeeded!!

One question I have for you, though...do you have an IS? If so, how did you get the the unit to work in CD-MP3 mode? When I did this, the CD/DVD changer would not have any volume. I had to change it back to CD mode to get my CD/DVD to work again...

I'm wondering...if you were able to make this work...has everyone else, as well?

Thanks,

Ed
Yes, IS 350 with ML. I don't think all HU's are the same, as others have reported that MD worked, mine did not. Maybe your iPod volume and EQ settings are not correct, check the manual, they want EQ off and something else on. Plus you can try the VasTech volume set procedure. Good Luck!