IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Am I the only one having problems?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-06, 08:51 AM
btwai
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I the only one having problems?

My IS350 is one month old, 3k mi. Silver with sports package.

My biggest problem is the ride. My passengers and I have found the ride to be very bumpy and rough. I used to have a 99 Accord, and I feel like that ride was smoother. Am I expecting too much? Is it the sports package suspension?

Problem #2: When I drive with the sunshade open on the street, I can hear the sunroof window squeek every time.

Problem #3: I've already had paint chipped off my front bumper (about a one centimeter), probably from a rock on the highway. Should this have happened so easily?

I appreciate the feedback .
Old 07-02-06, 09:00 AM
meteoro
Pole Position

Originally Posted by btwai

My biggest problem is the ride. My passengers and I have found the ride to be very bumpy and rough. I used to have a 99 Accord, and I feel like that ride was smoother. Am I expecting too much? Is it the sports package suspension?
The ride will be stiffer than your 99 Accord for sure. Now as far as smoother, hmmm not sure about that. I drove the a sport package shod IS, and it was very forgiving and taut.

Problem #2: When I drive with the sunshade open on the street, I can hear the sunroof window squeek every time.
Squeak...first time I hear of that. I have heard of some rattles in some cases, but it has been taken care by the dealer.

Problem #3: I've already had paint chipped off my front bumper (about a one centimeter), probably from a rock on the highway. Should this have happened so easily?

The paint on all new Lexus' is very soft, it does not contain lead, its environmentally friendly. Best bet is to get a clear bra.
Old 07-02-06, 10:06 AM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Tell your dealer about the sunroof squeak - they'll repair the problem.

The paint issue is common with all modern cars. Compliance with recent laws requires use of softer paint...I suggest buying some touch up paint and not tailgating...not much else you can do other than a clear flim over the front.

Re: the ride...did you test drive the car before purchasing? This car has 18" wheels with low profile tires to begin with, and you opted for the sports package which has SPORT TUNED SUSPENSION. That means it corners better, but rides rougher. Consider trading your wheels with someone w/17 inch wheels from an IS250...I think you'll easily find willing candidates, and that should improve your ride quality. In any case, if you're very concerned with a smooth ride, do not buy a sport suspension upgrade next time!
Old 07-02-06, 02:00 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by meteoro
The paint on all new Lexus' is very soft, it does not contain lead, its environmentally friendly. Best bet is to get a clear bra.
ALL new vehicle manufacturers paint is soft. Just the way it is to please the tree huggers.
Old 07-02-06, 04:16 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Also check your tire pressure. It should be a few psi lower than the max psi. Overinflated tires will make it a more bumpy ride...
Old 07-02-06, 05:01 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Also check your tire pressure. It should be a few psi lower than the max psi. Overinflated tires will make it a more bumpy ride...
Don't even look at the max psi on the tires. Use the recommended inflation pressure from the owners manual. (Might also be on a sticker on the door jamb)
Old 07-02-06, 05:11 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

your tires are already overinflated if you are a few psi under max
Old 07-02-06, 05:27 PM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

I know what you mean about the ride quality......

My 330i was a far better ride than the 350 is. And lot's of folks have had the sqeaky sunroof....me included.
Old 07-03-06, 10:27 AM
l1tech
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 18's were at 42 psi from the dealer I dropped them all to 34 psi and the ride changed considerably for the better, however I wasn't unhappy with it to begin with. Never, and I mean never, inflate your tires to what the tire sidewall says, go by your owners manual.
Old 07-03-06, 10:39 AM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear you're unhappy with your car but I agree that when you got the sports pkg, you should expect the ride to be a bit firmer/more taut than a non-sport pkgd car. To me, the car rides great. Much, much better compared to my '03 Accord. Totally smooth and not bumpy at all.

As for squeaks and rattles, there're a few when the temp is really hot (as how it's been here in So Cal) but I think it's just the plastic comforming under intense heat.
Old 07-03-06, 10:56 AM
hashs99
Driver

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=214573

view my post #2. This needs to be done every so often. It works though!
Old 07-03-06, 12:31 PM
viet658
Driver

This car doesn't handle freeway expansion joints that well. I have a IS350 with Luxury Package and it feels like a truck over expansion joints. I came from a BMW 330CI with Sports Package and the suspension on the BMW handle expansion joints much better.