IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

What can I do if I regret my color choice?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-06, 11:24 PM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
I regret my color choice as well. DAMN POHANKA LEXUS.

I choose GFM over CW, because I thought that GFM would be more rare... at the time, it was. Then Pohanka ordered 10GFM cars. I see them all the time now. Friggin heck.

I should Have bought CW.
How about WE trade? I originally wanted GFM but the salesman here in CA told me I'd have to wait an additional 3 months for a GFM with sport pkg. The wait was too long for me as it was so I opted for CW. Here in CA, GFM is really rare whereas everyone and their grandma has CW.

But overall, I'm still really happy with CW. I think it's so classy lookin' and incredibly easy to keep clean. No worries about swirl marks here! I also think that the worse thing to have is buyer's remorse. I'm just happy that I have a 350. I think there're worse things out there than to be depressed over your car's color.
Old 07-04-06, 06:46 AM
bmoney12
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
I regret my color choice as well. DAMN POHANKA LEXUS.

I choose GFM over CW, because I thought that GFM would be more rare... at the time, it was. Then Pohanka ordered 10GFM cars. I see them all the time now. Friggin heck.

I should Have bought CW.
I hear ya...I went to pohanka wanting white with sterling leather and ended up leaving with black on black! It looked too good pass up and they were playing the 350 with sport pkg is rare card. I took the bait. I can't complain too much cause it still looks damn good.
Old 07-04-06, 07:20 AM
Belmont
Pole Position

I went with SGM and while I love some of the other colors, I think the car looks incredible in this color. Here in NJ I rarely, rarely see another 2IS, so my car is extremely unique in these parts.

If I had to choose a second option, I'd probably go with CW.

That being said, I would strongly recommend against getting the car painted, for several reasons.

- Resale value will suffer. It's going to be hard for most people to believe you painted a brand new car just because you didn't like the color. If it were me buying, I'd walk in a heartbeat for fear of the car being in an accident or something equally as miserable.
- It's going to be very expensive to get a paint job to match the factory look and feel. If I had to throw out a number, you're looking at a minimum of $6k - $10k depending on the shop. A good paint job is not cheap.
Old 07-04-06, 07:26 AM
TLe2006
Lexus Champion

You should paint the color that is not offer by Lexus so then people might think you customized your car. You can paint that Team Lexus blue color and that's one sweet paint color!
Old 07-04-06, 07:50 AM
Style2k6
Pole Position

Another advantage to painting is that the paint will not be so fragile as I have been reading .
As mentioned you can get a color that no one else has. I'm sure a paint job would be cheaper than
trading.
Old 07-04-06, 08:24 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Belmont
That being said, I would strongly recommend against getting the car painted, for several reasons.

- Resale value will suffer. It's going to be hard for most people to believe you painted a brand new car just because you didn't like the color. If it were me buying, I'd walk in a heartbeat for fear of the car being in an accident or something equally as miserable.
- It's going to be very expensive to get a paint job to match the factory look and feel. If I had to throw out a number, you're looking at a minimum of $6k - $10k depending on the shop. A good paint job is not cheap.
I totally agree with Belmont on this point. I've never sold a car, either to a dealer or privately, that I wasn't asked if all the paint was original.

In my opinion, even a good body shop paint job is not as good as the one it got at the factory. Body shops don't have the same high temperature ovens to bake on the finish.
Old 07-04-06, 10:06 AM
waynetech2
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexs400
whatever color the car happens to be, when youre sitting inside and driving (which is what you bought the car to do), they'll both look the same inside ! be happy with what you have. in life one needs to be content with what they have otherwise it translates into being unhappy and miserable at all times . after 3 years u can always switch to a diferent color, for now why not enjoy what you bought ?
^^ for real..the 2is is not a chevy cobalt where u have 5 of every color just sittin on the lot..at least in the eastern region..if u keep wanting other people's car u'll never get to enjoy your own..thats what u bought the car for right? so enjoy ..please dont blame the dealer, they just tell u what they got, and you decide..as Bush would say "ur thu decider"

,, btw..bmoney12 and tqlla3k who were your salespeople at pohanka?
Old 07-04-06, 07:54 PM
LoVeMy06IS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mwaull
Haha i knew this would happen to me . . . i wanted black sooooo bad but knew it would be a pain in the *** to keep clean, but man when it is clean YOU CANT BEAT IT! I opted for the black . . . but i still love the white and tungsten pearl
I spent a whole hour deciding on the color of my IS.. I seriously circled the lot about 46 times before I went for the black on black.. If I would have got any other color I would have regreted it.. I agree tho.. when its clean.. it's CLEEEEEEEEEAN!!!
Old 07-04-06, 08:03 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

lol. i love my CW. just to rub it in. I think it's the prefect color for me. All the previous cars I've owned are either Crystal white or just plain white. I love it. My next car will also be white.
Old 07-04-06, 08:10 PM
asmithod
Driver School Candidate

thanks all for the replies.

so, i went to the dealer today because they have a sgm 350 on the lot. so i decided to crunch the #'s to see if its worth the color change. for your amusement, here's the #'s they gave me:

MY TRADE IN (CW) with Sport, Nav, etc:
-i owe on my car $39,500. it has 5k miles on it
-they offered me $36,500 for it. i laughed

NEW CAR (SGM) with Lux, Nav, etc:
-i wanted to try to get to $45,000 'out the door'
-they offered $47,000 'otd' + the $39,500 I asked for to pay off my trade. This was IF i paid 4k down

I just couldnt see paying all that $$ for color change.....
Old 07-04-06, 08:21 PM
asmithod
Driver School Candidate

my prob is i think cw is a girl's color for a car. can someone let me know what they love about cw so much so i can get myself siked up here.

ps-i love the car, drive, etc, and i def wont get rid of it just for color, so i know this is ridiculous, but someone help me out here and give me a reason to love a white car!
Old 07-04-06, 08:36 PM
TLe2006
Lexus Champion

Look clean most of the time, hard to see scratches or door dings. When you add a body kit, it'll look the best.
Old 07-04-06, 09:05 PM
sab504
Pit Crew

Why do you need someone to convince you to love a color that you bought? You should decide for yourself. For me, I didn't let anybody change my mind in making the color decision, CW was just the right choice for me because it was so HAWT!!
Old 07-04-06, 10:00 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the reason there are so many damn tungsten IS's is because whoever decides how many cars are made with what color thought that silver was still the most popular color. granted, silver was back in 2002-2004, but now i think the color of choice is black/graphite/grey. so now theres a bunch of silver cars being sold cuz people are settling. but once they get a lot of orders for GFM they will switch. by that time the color of choice will change again, maybe green? they are always slow to change....arg...
Old 07-05-06, 07:33 AM
sailing217
Pole Position

Just picked up my black IS 250 MT.
Drove it home 300 miles very carefully.
Washed it for the first time and not happy.
The dealership waxed it for me before I picked it up. Good wax job except there were 2 small, maybe bugs or water spots, that a novice tried to get off the car before waxing. Of course they thought scrubbing with pressure and friction would work. Needless to say, if you look at the paint with the light hitting just right, it looks like they tried to get it off with an abrasive.

Not happy since it's fourth of July, 90 degrees and humid and I'm breaking out the polish and wax to do it right. 2.5 hours later, and the hood and bumper are done and ready for the Clear Bra tomorrow morning (happening now). All my swirls are taken care of. Reminds me why I shouldn't have gotten black. Beautiful when clean, but I'll be commuting 40k miles a year in the car.

Should have gotten Tungsten Pearl or Red, but for me it's the interior that I spend the most part of the car admiring (cashmere - also not very easy to keep clean but manageable). Live and Learn. No way would I take a $4-7k hit, I'd paint it in a few years, like Black Cherry Metallic if I didn't drive so much. Wait for the coupe or convertible, then trade and get the color you want.