IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2IS Auto Couture wheel dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-06 | 06:34 AM
Alex350
Lexus Test Driver

Question 2IS Auto Couture wheel dilemma

OK, so I finally decided to buy the 20" Auto Couture Latives. But now, I'm trying to decide whether to buy them in chrome or in brushed aluminum I think they look good in both ways and I'm a sucker for chrome wheels, so most likely I'll end up getting them in chrome... but those brushed aluminum wheels look sweet too!!! Arrggghhh!!! decisions!!!

I did one of my ghetto chops with both wheels so you can provide your opinions on them. Please keep in mind that I couldn't find a decent picture of a chrome wheel to chop for the rear, so I chopped two front wheels to the pic with the chrome wheels. I hope to place my order for these wheels this week!!!
Attached Thumbnails 2IS Auto Couture wheel dilemma-auto-couture.jpg  

Last edited by Alex350; 07-04-06 at 06:40 AM.
Old 07-04-06 | 06:46 AM
Flipsonic
Instructor

IMO, an all chrome wheel for this car is too much bling. Almost everyone has chrome wheels. A chrome or polished lip with brushed aluminum face is perfect, especially if you have tungsten pearl. It adds a level of sophistication. But each of us has his own taste. Also, consider how often you will be cleaning them. It looks that it will take some time to clean those wheels because of the spokes. If you are as **** about clean wheels as I am, then it doesn't matter. I wipe mine off every other day. Brake dust on a set of new expensive wheels is a b****. It's like having a rare pair of Air Jordans and scuffing them up. Goodluck.

Last edited by Flipsonic; 07-04-06 at 06:58 AM.
Old 07-04-06 | 07:12 AM
Belmont
Pole Position

20" on an IS?

To each his own I guess, but if your goal was to bling it out you would have been better off with a GS. 20" wheels aren't going to do much for you in the way of handling and performance, which is arguably the target market of this vehicle.

But, if you must, I'd definitely go with brushed aluminum.
Old 07-04-06 | 07:57 AM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

belmont makes about as good of a point as anyone could
Old 07-04-06 | 08:36 AM
mwaull
Lexus Test Driver

what about polished aluminum??? I would go with that . . . chrome is just too much, but i think brushed aluminum is too plain. thats just me though
Old 07-04-06 | 10:38 AM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

i think polished aluminum comes off as i couldn't afford chrome lol

talk about a double edged sword!
Old 07-04-06 | 04:30 PM
Soda
Pole Position

the chrome on that wheel doesn't look overkill, I like the chrome..
Old 07-04-06 | 05:17 PM
Dj Rando
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Belmont
20" on an IS?

To each his own I guess, but if your goal was to bling it out you would have been better off with a GS. 20" wheels aren't going to do much for you in the way of handling and performance, which is arguably the target market of this vehicle.

But, if you must, I'd definitely go with brushed aluminum.
Last time I checked, the 20's I have on my car do nothing to the performance, and everything for the looks. I get looked at by more people than I do when I am driving my bosses Porche. Its all about the 20's. 19's don't do much to the look of the rims. Especially since they are only an inch from stock.

LONG LIVE 20's ON 2IS
Old 07-04-06 | 07:31 PM
Lupin5
Driver

Originally Posted by Dj Rando
Last time I checked, the 20's I have on my car do nothing to the performance, and everything for the looks. I get looked at by more people than I do when I am driving my bosses Porche. Its all about the 20's. 19's don't do much to the look of the rims. Especially since they are only an inch from stock.

LONG LIVE 20's ON 2IS

Believe me having 20's do effect the performance. Especially if they weight a lot. You might not notice or even care on the street but take your car to the track, be it strip or road course and with stock wheels vs your 20's, you'll see the difference. Most people who put rims on dont really care about what they lose in performance anyway, unless they get rims that are forged. Your rims look good though.
Old 07-05-06 | 05:36 PM
Belmont
Pole Position

LONG LIVE 20's ON 2IS

Last time you checked? Did you actually do any performance testing and compile any data to back up your claim? I find it very hard to believe that those big *** wheels have zero effect on your performance.

I also find it funny that you put an exhaust system and intake on your car.

Make up your mind!
Old 07-06-06 | 12:05 PM
Solomoan
Pole Position

Default Unless you got a 250

In which case my 19's are 2 inches over stock. Wish I had a wider profile, as the edges of my Falken's are getting beaten up on 245's.

LONG LIVE 20's ON 2IS
Old 07-06-06 | 01:16 PM
caseyb83
Driver

Ok, so heres my spill at it, if you live in southern cali, why wouldn't you buy chrome 20s? Are you honestly gonna be racing around curvy roads with a porsche or ferrari, heck nah, you are gonna be pimpin your lex on the streets. Now if you lived in the mountains, i could understand where the handling would matter if you were on the twisty mountain roads and late all the time. but for real, everyone has a different taste but i think the wheels are tight. just watch out for potholes on low pros, wheel dents suck!
Old 07-19-06 | 11:37 PM
Alex350
Lexus Test Driver

After some time searching for a good deal on these wheels, I finally ended up going direct with the manufacturer of the forged version of the wheels, www.wheelexperts.com.

Auto Couture also provides cheaper cast versions of the same wheel designs, direct from Japan, for those of you considering the wheels but not wanting to pay much $$$ for them. If interested in those, contact Steve Ganz at Carson Toyota/Lexus and he can get them for you.

Anyway, the ghetto-man inside of me (for those of you that say chrome is ghetto ) was calling and I ended up going with the chrome finish. Now, I have to wait approximately 30+ days to get the wheels.... I can't wait!!!
Old 07-20-06 | 12:51 AM
t0e
Lexus Champion

It will look dam good, on white. IMO
Old 07-20-06 | 06:19 AM
Alex350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by t0e
It will look dam good, on white. IMO
Thanks t0e, I agree! I will try to post pics when I get the wheels....

Quick Reply: 2IS Auto Couture wheel dilemma