IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Color-matched engine cover

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-06, 11:03 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by flyfl1pguy
IF you dont mind me asking which body shop did yo u go to ?
PM me if you want his contact info... He does quality work, and at very good prices.

Pocky, I just tried you back.

Javier
Old 07-05-06, 05:41 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by javylsu
Thanks for the kind words, everyone. I had some of the same concerns about heat possibly damaging the engine cover until I realized that the engine cover is ALREADY painted silver in stock form. Also, my painter didn't paint the underneath, just the top surface, so I shouldn't have any heat-related issues there. What I AM concerned with, though, is the dust and grime from the engine getting into the paint. I just put it on there today to take pictures - I'm driving around now without it, because it's sitting in my apartment (I want the paint to seal and dry REALLY well) I might get another stock cover for daily use, and save this one for meets and such, because I REALLY like the way this came out. I'll find out tomorrow how much the dealership wants for another cover.
Pretty interesting idea, and it looks nice. What type of finish did your painter use? They also sell high temp paints for high heat applications, did you use this type? I'd like to see how it stands up to maintanence and a year or two of being in the engine bay.
Old 07-05-06, 06:07 AM
phatboyc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is gorgeous! I don't think it would look as good with SMG or Black since it is the contrast with the black plastic that brings out the color.
As for the heat affecting the paint, I wouldn't worry one bit if your painter is using quality paint. Our paint is made to resist cooking under the sun, and with all the foam under the cover it doesn't get that much hotter.
Old 07-05-06, 06:34 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by phatboyc
That is gorgeous! I don't think it would look as good with SMG or Black since it is the contrast with the black plastic that brings out the color.
As for the heat affecting the paint, I wouldn't worry one bit if your painter is using quality paint. Our paint is made to resist cooking under the sun, and with all the foam under the cover it doesn't get that much hotter.
the paint sounded like it was matched therefore its the same as the body paint, I dont know if body paint can handle near 200 degrees, far from the temperature experienced by a beating sun
Old 07-05-06, 08:24 AM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is automotive paint.

It will and can withstand the heat from the engine bay no problem. Done this on my old car, the engine cover stayed the same after 4 years, until I sold it.
Old 07-05-06, 09:18 AM
is4me2
Lead Lap

Cool

Looks great Javier. Pocky, are you getting it done too????

I suppose you will need to wax it too ......maybe get a clear bra for it
Old 07-05-06, 09:18 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

The paint I used wasn't some AutoZone Krylon paint, it's Toytota/Lexus factory Glacier Frost Mica, paint code 074. Shinobi does have a point though... it's gonna be a b%#*! to keep it clean. But, just like everything else - you gotta pay to play! If the cover was anywhere NEAR flat, I would get a clear-bra for it in a New York minute!

Pocky and I were talking last night about which color this would look best on - I still think that a Matador Red engine cover with (obviously) a matching body would look KILLER. Black would be bland (except for the chrome emblems that would REALLY stand out) and blue onyx would be so dark it would look too much like black - not worth it in my opinion.

What I'd like to finish this off with is to apply a 'black pearl' type finish to my emblems - does anyone have any ideas as to how I could do this? I think the "L" lexus logo can be removed, but the "V6" is not an emblem and is actually part of the cover. Is there a paint or varnish that I could do this with?

Javier

Last edited by javyLSU; 07-05-06 at 01:41 PM.
Old 07-05-06, 09:23 AM
pocky
mooncake master

Javier, we never finished on the subject.

There are sources, it's just hard to find a place that is willing to do Black Chrome, let alone...affordable for pieces of plastic.

I know LMS, has a third party suppiler that does it. Not sure if they charge alot. Might wanna give them a ring. If you found out, call me.

is4me2, Yes, I'm getting it done, plus another item. Sorry I haven't replied to your PM's. I just came back from vacation.
Old 07-05-06, 09:27 AM
Griffey222
Rookie

Interesting...Pretty cool. Of course, if you drive around with the hood up. Ha, JK...Looks sweet!

That pinstripe must go however!
Old 07-05-06, 09:28 AM
pocky
mooncake master

I think the angle is just bad on the photos for the pinstripes. It looks pretty nice in person.
Old 07-05-06, 09:52 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

hmm, that looks pretty cool. I assume that you taped off the V6 and Lexus emblems? Or are they removable? I can't imagine that the whole job would cost very much, since there is no body or assembly work to be done. Just prime it, spray it, buff it, and reinstall.

I think it would look even better with the criss-cross/honeycomb section left as black. Maybe we can find a bodyshop that'll put together a group buy for these. We send in the cover and the color we want it painted, they return the completed product, ready for reinstall.

I wouldn't be concerned with the paint not being able to stand up to the heat. The underside of the hood is painted with the same paint, and it has no troubles.
Old 07-05-06, 10:01 AM
pocky
mooncake master

Originally Posted by ff_
hmm, that looks pretty cool. I assume that you taped off the V6 and Lexus emblems? Or are they removable? I can't imagine that the whole job would cost very much, since there is no body or assembly work to be done. Just prime it, spray it, buff it, and reinstall.

I think it would look even better with the criss-cross/honeycomb section left as black. Maybe we can find a bodyshop that'll put together a group buy for these. We send in the cover and the color we want it painted, they return the completed product, ready for reinstall.

I wouldn't be concerned with the paint not being able to stand up to the heat. The underside of the hood is painted with the same paint, and it has no troubles.
The V6 & L Emblem was taped off. Cost, depends on the guy who is spraying it for you.

LoL, Another groupbuy thing? Just find your own local body shop man. I really don't think this needs a groupbuy. Besides, this is against ClubLexus rules, as I and many have learned from previous fiascos. Unless a 'said' body shop is a CL Vendor.
Old 07-05-06, 10:23 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Originally Posted by ff_
I think it would look even better with the criss-cross/honeycomb section left as black...
Keep in mind that it's not black already - you would have to paint it black. That means two different paints, potentially (and probably) increasing cost of the paint job, whether you do it yourself or you have a professional do it.

Javier
Old 07-05-06, 01:03 PM
Heltah
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would be more worried about the paint when putting the cover on or pulling it off. The cover can bend quite a bit.
Old 07-05-06, 01:38 PM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Heltah
I would be more worried about the paint when putting the cover on or pulling it off. The cover can bend quite a bit.
True that. You'd want to make sure that the painter uses the flex additive.