My IS350 Arrived at port!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-06, 04:53 PM
Patient215
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My IS350 Arrived at port!

Hi!

I've been a daily visitor to Clublexus for about 4 months now.
I have been eagerly researching and gathering as much info as possible on the new IS350.

Basically right now i'm driving a 2000 Toyota Tundra, I love it, but i am sooo ready for a change.
I know i want something sporty, but i also want to be pampered.

I am young, and slightly frightened about spending so much cash on a car. However i have fallen in love with the lexus.

I am fortunate to know the fleet manager of a So. Cal. dealership and have the opportunity to purchase an IS350 for $500 over invoice.
My Car arrives at port in 2 days - IS350 SGM, Nav.

My only real concern is about the Vdim system.
I hear the 2007 will have a kill switch, but honestly i dont know if i'd ever use it.
I am not a driving enthusiast....yet,.... And wouldn't trust myself to really PUSH the car.
But i also dont want to be restricted.
However as i get more comfortable driving the machine i fear i will regret not having the option to let it loose to it's maximum.

Is the Vdim really THAT intrusive? or will someone like me who will be watching for cops like a hawk, and only letting it loose when i am 100% confident i have complete control of the situation be just fine with it's power and handling.

I have test driven many,...but never REALLY driven one.

Any advice, suggestions, reasurment would be greatly appreciated. I know most of you, Now it's my turn to contribute.

Thank in advance.
Old 07-05-06, 05:00 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Patient215
Hi!

I've been a daily visitor to Clublexus for about 4 months now.
I have been eagerly researching and gathering as much info as possible on the new IS350.

Basically right now i'm driving a 2000 Toyota Tundra, I love it, but i am sooo ready for a change.
I know i want something sporty, but i also want to be pampered.

I am young, and slightly frightened about spending so much cash on a car. However i have fallen in love with the lexus.

I am fortunate to know the fleet manager of a So. Cal. dealership and have the opportunity to purchase an IS350 for $500 over invoice.
My Car arrives at port in 2 days - IS350 SGM, Nav.

My only real concern is about the Vdim system.
I hear the 2007 will have a kill switch, but honestly i dont know if i'd ever use it.
I am not a driving enthusiast....yet,.... And wouldn't trust myself to really PUSH the car.
But i also dont want to be restricted.
However as i get more comfortable driving the machine i fear i will regret not having the option to let it loose to it's maximum.

Is the Vdim really THAT intrusive? or will someone like me who will be watching for cops like a hawk, and only letting it loose when i am 100% confident i have complete control of the situation be just fine with it's power and handling.

I have test driven many,...but never REALLY driven one.

Any advice, suggestions, reasurment would be greatly appreciated. I know most of you, Now it's my turn to contribute.

Thank in advance.
Hey congrats on your purchase.

As for your question:

The truthful answer is no. Unless you plan to flog your car around corners or purposely trying to get your car to drift or slide sideways, it is not intrusive as most people may say. There is the trick to temporarily "Disable" VSC & TRAC (not to be mistaken with VDIM OFF, since there is no such thing) simultaneously using the pedal dance/cheat code (which is listed on our FAQ) if you really want to do a burnout or induce a drift situation. Most people mistake VDIM with just plain old TRAC and VSC. VDIM is a system which controls a combination of TRAC, VSC, ABS and your power steering all in one. VDIM is designed to keep you from causing your car to lose control. True you cannot defy physics but the safety feature is there at the up to the limit emergency situations when needed.

Once you really get to know your car well along with its handling dynamics, you will know the difference between the times when VSC or TRAC kicks in....or when VDIM comes into full swing. Don't let the traction light fool you if you see it blink and your engine power retards. That's just TRAC keeping the wheels from spinning and cause you to lose traction.

Good Luck!
Old 07-05-06, 05:15 PM
Patient215
Driver School Candidate

This is what i assumed. Good news.
I would like to get more opinions however, as these things are fairly "case by case"

A few more questions that come to mind are,...

- What do you guys think of "Smokey Granite Mica"
- Does it hold up? (i've read about soft paint etc.)

- What % tint would you reccomend (legal)
- Where in So. Cal did yo get tint done?

- I dont need the ML, i wont be spending enough time in the car to really utilize it, However i'm an audio head. Does the Stock system hold up? Or would you recommend some after market upgrades ie. Amp/Sub
...13 speakers seems like more than enough.
Old 07-06-06, 10:38 AM
Patient215
Driver School Candidate

Bump for comments
Old 07-06-06, 06:35 PM
LaRock
Rookie

SGM is a really nice color. I haven't had any issues with the paint... washed it once with no issues and had clear bra put on it.

35% looks really nice on SGM.

There's been a couple of post earlier today regarding location of tinting on So.Cal.

There has been a few posts regarding ML vs Stock and I think even a review of ML by a member. I didn't notice that much of a difference between stock and ML... however, I'm not an audio head and I didn't get a chance to listen to one then listen to the other back to back... it was more like a 3 month difference.
Old 07-06-06, 10:38 PM
IXLRS
Rookie

I'm lovin my SMG sport 350. I've got 35% madico Onyx tint. Soooo perrdy...