IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

I'm installing my Vais this w/e. Should I do the hack too?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-06, 09:36 AM
BShears
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm installing my Vais this w/e. Should I do the hack too?

I'll be putting my Vais iPod controller in my 1-week old IS this weekend and I'm wondering if I should do the hack too. My primary motivator for doing the hack is so I can see the song information (artist, album, title) while in motion. Adding destinations on the fly or having the dvd playing - I could take it or leave it (I guess my kids would like the dvds).

What do you guys think? Anyone install the Vais and not the hack and regret it?

Anyone wish they never did the hack?

I have two days to decide.
Old 07-06-06, 09:41 AM
yellowssm
Lead Lap

Of course since you are already back there why not. It is SOOO easy. good luck
Old 07-06-06, 01:09 PM
BShears
Rookie

Yeah but are the "nav issues" I'm seeing a result of the hack or is it loose wires or user error?
Old 07-06-06, 01:37 PM
IS3FIDDY
Driver

Uhhh...lemme think about this one...would I want to see audio track info, be able to dial phone numbers, and watch DVD's all while driving? Nah, I guess that's not worth cutting and twisting 3 wires...

...can you tell I'm laying on the sarcasm kinda thick??

OF COURSE YOU SHOULD!!

This is the best mod you can do for your electronic system...it rocks.

and yes, everything you've been reading that is a problem is based on user error. I have had "0" problems since I did it last weekend (knock on wood). LOVE IT.
Old 07-06-06, 01:45 PM
rys
Pole Position

I haven't had any problems at all either. I think many times there are side effects that are incorrectly attributed to the NAV hack, but it is a result of user error.

I did the hack perfect. There was the initial instructions in the NAV hack thread (which, I will admit are complete), but I also cross referenced against the techinfo.lexus.com website to make extra sure (also to understand exactly what it was that I was doing). My hack is installed 100% correctly, and I have had no problems. No jumpy navigation, no missing voice turn commands, no problems with the check engine light, or not being able to turn off the vehicle.

It's completely worth it to do the hack while you are in there, it is up to you whether you make use of the features once you are done.

-Brian
Old 07-06-06, 02:09 PM
BShears
Rookie

SuperLexy

You have a great post on your experience doing the hack. I'm leaning towards doing the hack too and I expect, I'll take a long time too. Like you, the only thing that worries me is the vents. I'm going to cover my seats with a think plastic tarp and build up a little table on the passenger seat so when I pull the nav I can have a place to put it. I'm also thinking about using a little solder to be sure I have a good connection (don't want to have to go back in). Finally, I'm thinking of putting the Vais unit in a place I can get to it without having to take anything apart. Vais may have future software upgrades and I'm sure I won't be as careful taking things apart the second time around (if I put the Vais unit where Pocky did near the shifter).

Cool comments everyone!
Old 07-06-06, 02:18 PM
rys
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BShears
SuperLexy

You have a great post on your experience doing the hack. I'm leaning towards doing the hack too and I expect, I'll take a long time too. Like you, the only thing that worries me is the vents. I'm going to cover my seats with a think plastic tarp and build up a little table on the passenger seat so when I pull the nav I can have a place to put it. I'm also thinking about using a little solder to be sure I have a good connection (don't want to have to go back in). Finally, I'm thinking of putting the Vais unit in a place I can get to it without having to take anything apart. Vais may have future software upgrades and I'm sure I won't be as careful taking things apart the second time around (if I put the Vais unit where Pocky did near the shifter).

Cool comments everyone!
Here's a hint, put down a blanket if you can. Also, when removing the NAV unit be very very careful not to let the front of the unit scrape on the exposed threads of the shifter handle. It wil scratch the unit very badly.

I put my VAIS unit right next to the shifter like Pocky. Tip: If you have trouble putting it down low, try pulling back on the carpet, mine got stuck on the carpet the first time, and didn't fully seat down.

I routed the iPod cable into the glove box using hard 12ga Electrical wire. That probably took the most time.

-Brian
Old 07-06-06, 02:21 PM
IS3FIDDY
Driver

Originally Posted by BShears
SuperLexy

Cool comments everyone!
Hey, I'm here to SERVE!

Trust me, the vents are eaaasy. Just buy one of those 90-degree picks (they're actually soldering iron tools, I believe). I got mine at Home Depot for like $4. Use the 90-degree pick to click down all 4 vent clips. Then place it in the outer left vent clip with the point facing up. Give it a couple of short yanks and the left side of the vent should come out about 3mm or so. Then, go to the far right side vent clip and do the same. That side will also come out about 3mm and then you can you use your fingers at that point. SUPER easy. In fact, taking apart the inside is all easy...

I was thinking of a solder for the wires, but I was thinking that, if I ever sold the vehicle, I might want to put it back together without any soldering lumps. So, I just cut the wires, stripped them about 1 inch down, twisted them together and then taped them up really well with electrical tape. It's really your comfort level with it all...for me, I figure, if the connection gets loose I can just go the soldering route, too... I am really comfortable with taking my IS apart (and doing so without any scrapes or scratching, no less!).

I put the VAIS under the carpet to the front-left of the passenger well. It almost seems like there is a little space cut out there for such a device. The carpeting just closes around it. I can get to it easily again if I want...the shifter mount location is a good idea, too. It's really easy to get to and I woulda done it like that had I decided to do a center console mount for my iPod. I like the glove box install because I can lock up my iPod if I want... Again, to each his own here...

Let us know how it goes and if you have any questions or concerns...
Old 07-06-06, 02:25 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes he's right I am having minor issues but they are user issues caused by going into the unit the second time around installing Vais. The first time around I too did the work correctly and had no trouble at all. If you can do this in one turn, go for it.

and it's worth mentioning you'll want to be super careful. i didn't everything i could including blankets and pillows and covering everything and for the most part, i came out fine except i wasn't viligent for many 1/2 hour and ended up with a mar on the dashboard when the blanket moved on me. your best bet is to do this as quickly as possible to minimize exposure and if you can have a second person to hold the unit, that would be perfect.

don't worry about the vents. they're tough but tough in a challenging way not as in impossible.
Old 07-06-06, 02:27 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SuperLexy
Hey, I'm here to SERVE!

Trust me, the vents are eaaasy. Just buy one of those 90-degree picks (they're actually soldering iron tools, I believe). I got mine at Home Depot for like $4. Use the 90-degree pick to click down all 4 vent clips. Then place it in the outer left vent clip with the point facing up. Give it a couple of short yanks and the left side of the vent should come out about 3mm or so. Then, go to the far right side vent clip and do the same. That side will also come out about 3mm and then you can you use your fingers at that point. SUPER easy. In fact, taking apart the inside is all easy...

I was thinking of a solder for the wires, but I was thinking that, if I ever sold the vehicle, I might want to put it back together without any soldering lumps. So, I just cut the wires, stripped them about 1 inch down, twisted them together and then taped them up really well with electrical tape. It's really your comfort level with it all...for me, I figure, if the connection gets loose I can just go the soldering route, too... I am really comfortable with taking my IS apart (and doing so without any scrapes or scratching, no less!).

I put the VAIS under the carpet to the front-left of the passenger well. It almost seems like there is a little space cut out there for such a device. The carpeting just closes around it. I can get to it easily again if I want...the shifter mount location is a good idea, too. It's really easy to get to and I woulda done it like that had I decided to do a center console mount for my iPod. I like the glove box install because I can lock up my iPod if I want... Again, to each his own here...

Let us know how it goes and if you have any questions or concerns...
so i'm going to have to go back in a third time to do some patch work, do you have a part # or a picture of this pick? for some reason, i'm not understanding what a 90 degree pick is.
Old 07-06-06, 02:31 PM
rys
Pole Position

I didn't have a 90 degree pick, but there is a Harbor Freight near by, so I picked up a set of extra thin, long, jewelers screw drivers, then i took a pair of plyers, a hammer, and a torch to them and bent the end into a hook.

That's what I use to remove my vents.

-Brian
Old 07-06-06, 02:55 PM
IS3FIDDY
Driver

Originally Posted by kensteele
so i'm going to have to go back in a third time to do some patch work, do you have a part # or a picture of this pick? for some reason, i'm not understanding what a 90 degree pick is.
kensteele, I found one and posted it in the main page for anyone else wanting to do this mod...it's here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...93#post1993193

HTH,

Ed