IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

stock nav or custom? What do I do? !!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-06, 09:50 AM
jt4you
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stock nav or custom? What do I do? !!

Hey, I actually dont have a lexus, but I will get the IS350 soon. I was wondering if I should get the stock nav system or get this pioneer head unit AVH-P6800DVD with the dvd navigation add on.. the link for the head unit is here: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/p...etailsComponent
My main question is how hard would it be to install the double din head unit in a IS 350 with the base stock system? will it fit at all? or would there be extra space because I dont want it to look sloppy. I'm trying to save money by getting a good custom nav because I can get those pioneer parts cheap and so I can watch dvd's while I drive . I know there's a hack but I dont want to risk messing up a brand new car. Give me any advice! Thanks
Old 07-06-06, 09:53 AM
mlee21
Lexus Test Driver

check out this thread.. on page 2. somone was able to cleanly put in a single din headunit. i havent seen a double yet, but if your able to do it cleanly.. then go for it.. but imo i think oem looks best.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...rmarket+system
Old 07-06-06, 12:05 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by jt4you
. I know there's a hack but I dont want to risk messing up a brand new car. Give me any advice! Thanks
You are alot more likely to mess up your brand new car by fabricating a custom mount and custom trim pieces for an aftermarket nav, than by the simple and well-documented process of performing the nav hack.

The stock nav works great, and also interfaces with bluetooth and voice recognition. Say "I'm hungry" and then say "show category list" to bring up a list of restaurants. Once you've picked one, press the phone icon to call on your bluetooth phone and make a reservation. Then hit enter to get turn-by-turn directions.
Old 07-06-06, 12:13 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Please get a stock navi. looks much more lexus like.
Old 07-06-06, 12:24 PM
SolaraToIS
Lead Lap

Definitely go with stock Nav.
Also the after-market is more attractive to thieves.
Old 07-07-06, 09:34 AM
sirCharles
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want to pay the excessive premium and not deal with question, then go with stock nav.
I agree that modifying for headunit/nav/dvd/ combo is not wise. Vehicle is too new and it is a Lexus. The stock system is nice, but you must know what you want and know what your options are. Lexus is making a killing off that Nav system...To me is is similar to asking if you think it is better to pay out the *** for MLevison or got with cheaper better sounding aftermarket. Resale probably works better for ML, but what are you really trying to do? Everyone is in different situation.

If you want navigation and bluetooth, then I would say the best option is what i did...Purchase the Garmin Nuvi 360. It is small, lightweight and the best part is that you can take to your girlfriends older car or anywhere. Personally, there are far more options for you and more affordable to get a good aftermarket setup.

I really did agonize over this for first couple of months because my brother got exact 350 on sameday from Nalley in ATL that I did. Only difference is Navigation. It is a great package, but you really pay for it. You really gotta ask yourself, is that backup camera really worth like 1100?