IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: How much do you pay for oil changes?
20 bucks of less
2.60%
20 to 30 bucks
17.21%
40 bucks+
31.49%
I do it myself
48.70%
Voters: 308. You may not vote on this poll

Oil change stuff...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-06, 11:30 PM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramon
I would never take any of my cars to Jiffy Lube. Just last night one of the news stations here did an investigation with hidden camera's on 9 Jiffy Lube locations around LA county. .

I'm confused........ That report has been out for months, and I saw the video as well. What news station are you talking about that "just" did this last night.....?
Old 07-06-06, 11:33 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

I saw it on NBC last night... First time for me.
Old 07-07-06, 11:41 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RshaoKh
One of my biggest problems is that when I request them NOT to wash my car they sometimes forget and wash it on accident. So even if you ask them not to wash your car, you still run the risk of them washing it on accident anyway. .
They did the same thing to me, next time I'm going to put a post it on the windshield
that reads "DO NOT WASH"..
Old 07-07-06, 12:40 PM
sirCharles
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would never take any of my cars to Jiffy Lube. Just last night one of the news stations here did an investigation with hidden camera's on 9 Jiffy Lube locations around LA county. 5 of the 9 locations did not perform the maintainance jobs that they charged the customers for. When they confronted the store managers, the only comment they had was that they need to speak with the district manager. When the reporters found the district manager, he denied that he was the district manager all together.
That had to be hilarious to see...District Manager? What District Manager?

Does anyone know how to reset that damn "oil maint. soon" hazard light?
There is an awesome write-up thread with pictures on changing the oil on 2nd gen IS. I cannot find it, but it is what I have always been able to do for my vehicles. This is just another cash cow for the service depts at the dealers. I have always felt that Jiffy Lube or whomever changes the oil at a service center does not let the oil completely drain. Those 15 minute oil changes are leaving small amounts of old oil in the system. In the past, i have let my oil drain for a good couple of hours before changing filter, plugging and refilling with synthetic. I have only been in for the first free change so, it really hadn't crossed my mine yet. If I can get that code safely reset with tripping VSC or something else, I will do it myself.
Old 07-07-06, 01:53 PM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

I saw it on NBC last night... First time for me.

I wonder if they stole it from another station or just did a repeat......... Kinda funny how the guy denied he was the DM and acted like a customer......what a tool. Corporate coruption at it's finest....
Old 07-07-06, 02:30 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Well it was a local san diego news station and the report was on LA county shops, so I think they probably got it from a sister station or something.
Old 07-07-06, 05:14 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by sirCharles
Does anyone know how to reset that damn "oil maint. soon" hazard light?
There is an awesome write-up thread with pictures on changing the oil on 2nd gen IS. I cannot find it, but it is what I have always been able to do for my vehicles. This is just another cash cow for the service depts at the dealers. I have always felt that Jiffy Lube or whomever changes the oil at a service center does not let the oil completely drain. Those 15 minute oil changes are leaving small amounts of old oil in the system. In the past, i have let my oil drain for a good couple of hours before changing filter, plugging and refilling with synthetic. I have only been in for the first free change so, it really hadn't crossed my mine yet. If I can get that code safely reset with tripping VSC or something else, I will do it myself.
I don't remember it off the top of my head, but the procedure for reseting the oil maintenance light is in the owners manual.

I've never let my cars drain for hours. As soon as the flow of oil slows to a rate of one drop every 10 seconds or so, it is empty enough for me. My maintenance couldn't have been too bad: Two of my old cars were sold to friends; one ran it up to 246,000 miles before he sold it, another is still with its second owner, going strong at 170,000.
Old 07-07-06, 05:45 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Stay away from JiffyLube. Use Toyota dealers if convenient. Lexus dealers charge a lot more than $50 in a lot of the country.
Old 07-07-06, 05:53 PM
RCFormante
Supercharged!

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

I am almost at 10k and due for an oil change and planning to do it myself for the first time. Is there a correct procedure for switching from mineral oil to synthetic oil?
Old 07-07-06, 06:57 PM
sirCharles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bichon
I don't remember it off the top of my head, but the procedure for reseting the oil maintenance light is in the owners manual.

I've never let my cars drain for hours. As soon as the flow of oil slows to a rate of one drop every 10 seconds or so, it is empty enough for me. My maintenance couldn't have been too bad: Two of my old cars were sold to friends; one ran it up to 246,000 miles before he sold it, another is still with its second owner, going strong at 170,000.

Yeah thats true. I had a couple of cars that i had over 175000 miles using my extended drip method...and like you no issues. Really as long as your changing it probably doesn't matter.
I gonna check the owners manual for the reset.
Nalley Lexus in ATL is chargin $59 for oil change service. There are just not enough caffeine, car wash, donuts involved. I have 7900 miles and synthetic is a must.
Old 07-09-06, 10:00 AM
golfproatl
Pole Position

SirCharles,

I live in the Atlanta area. I plan to purchase a 07 is350. Just wondering how your experience with Nalley was?

Thanks
Old 07-09-06, 12:01 PM
sirCharles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by golfproatl
SirCharles,

I live in the Atlanta area. I plan to purchase a 07 is350. Just wondering how your experience with Nalley was?

Thanks
Well There was not haggle room for discounts as expected. I bought mine from Steve Fischman in at Nalley in Roswell. He's a true salesman. He tried his best to get me to commit to the fully loaded 45K one back in Feb. I had my mine set on 350 for as inexpensive as possible. I got base black onyx for 34K. The thing I disliked the most was finance folks. I originally signed up for ext. warranty only to cancel two weeks later because, well it's a Lexus. It took them 3 months to credit the payment back through LFS. For a package that was $2500, i accrued some interest charges that they could not refund. They went ahead and just gave me a free oil change at 10K miles. They still got over on me and service thus far has been poor.

Another salesman Lorenzo at South Atlanta Lexus in Union City was decent but the finana\ce manager only wanted to give a 11K for my trade that was bluebooked at 14K. That put me out the door. The nice thing about my experience here was that I drove 250's and 350's for about 3 full hours that day. I was convinced on the car after the extended test drives. Union City happens to have secluded track like roads around the dealer...I was able to fully test VDIM on wet roads. Oh yeah, and they are the only Lex dealer in ATL open on Sundays.

My opinion, Go with Nalley or try out Hennesy on Peachtree Industrial in Chamblee. Lots of folks deal with Hennesy. Go to South ATL for test drives.
Old 07-09-06, 04:07 PM
golfproatl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sirCharles
Well There was not haggle room for discounts as expected. I bought mine from Steve Fischman in at Nalley in Roswell. He's a true salesman. He tried his best to get me to commit to the fully loaded 45K one back in Feb. I had my mine set on 350 for as inexpensive as possible. I got base black onyx for 34K. The thing I disliked the most was finance folks. I originally signed up for ext. warranty only to cancel two weeks later because, well it's a Lexus. It took them 3 months to credit the payment back through LFS. For a package that was $2500, i accrued some interest charges that they could not refund. They went ahead and just gave me a free oil change at 10K miles. They still got over on me and service thus far has been poor.

Another salesman Lorenzo at South Atlanta Lexus in Union City was decent but the finana\ce manager only wanted to give a 11K for my trade that was bluebooked at 14K. That put me out the door. The nice thing about my experience here was that I drove 250's and 350's for about 3 full hours that day. I was convinced on the car after the extended test drives. Union City happens to have secluded track like roads around the dealer...I was able to fully test VDIM on wet roads. Oh yeah, and they are the only Lex dealer in ATL open on Sundays.

My opinion, Go with Nalley or try out Hennesy on Peachtree Industrial in Chamblee. Lots of folks deal with Hennesy. Go to South ATL for test drives.
Thanks for the info. I have heard a few bad things about Nalley and their service. Sorry your experience was poor too.

I live in Suwanee and have been to Hennessy in Duluth a couple of times, once for a test drive. I will take your advice for sure and go down to South Atl for what sounds like a much better test drive. I would never have thought to do that. Thanks!
Old 07-09-06, 08:48 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I finally did my girl's 250 today and it wasn't that hard, but it did took me good 2 hrs.

the painful process was to find the oil filter... I thought the filter located on the top and those engine covers were hiding it..

but now I know it's on the bottom...

I had to use what ever tools to get the filter open.. what kind of tool did you guys buy to get that filter cover off?
Old 07-10-06, 09:50 AM
ahohnstein
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by golfproatl
Thanks for the info. I have heard a few bad things about Nalley and their service. Sorry your experience was poor too.

I live in Suwanee and have been to Hennessy in Duluth a couple of times, once for a test drive. I will take your advice for sure and go down to South Atl for what sounds like a much better test drive. I would never have thought to do that. Thanks!
golfproatl - i too live in Suwanee. Maybe I'll see you driving around soon. Not too many 2ISs around here. If you see a SGM 350 in Suwanee... chances are it's me.

I bought mine from Hennesy Lexus ATL (not Gwinnett) as the selection was a bit better there at the time. I plan on doing all service at the Gwinnett location. I've heard decent things about them. I'm taking it in for my 5K soon as soon as the seatbelt recall kit comes in. If you're looking for a pleasant bunch to work with, definitely give Henessey Lexus Atlanta a try. You'll probably get more good feedback on Atlanta-area Lexus dealers and service by posting at www.seloc.net. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Oil change stuff...