IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: How much do you pay for oil changes?
20 bucks of less
2.60%
20 to 30 bucks
17.21%
40 bucks+
31.49%
I do it myself
48.70%
Voters: 308. You may not vote on this poll

Oil change stuff...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-06, 10:33 AM
tgara
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 06LexIS
When I purchased my car thru the Lexus of Pleasanton which is part of the Hendrick Automotive Group they offered it to me so I bought it. It's called the Hendrick maintenance care
I think its dealer specific @ 5K intervals.
Sounds like marketing mumbo jumbo to me. The same strategy is common in the home maintenance area. Do they give you a discount for paying for maintenance costs in advance? If not, I see no point in doing it. Just pay for the services at the time they are due -- no need to pay in advance.

Also, this poll is misleading. The entry of "I do it myself" implies that there is no cost (like in the other choices). But this is not true. When you do it yourself, there is no labor cost, but you still have to pay for oil and a filter.

I work hard during the week and the last thing I want to do on my time off is change my oil. While some folks get enjoyment out of doing this, I do not. So I'm happy to take it to a pro to do it for me. I take the same approach to cutting my lawn and cleaning my house.
Old 08-01-06, 10:39 AM
menech
Lead Lap

I change my own mainly because of time. It takes me less time to roll up on ramps and change my own oil than it does to drive out to the dealership and plan around traffic and than wait around for 1 to 1.5 hours for them to do it.

Plus I don't trust the jiffy lube type places in my area. In fact a recent news report did an undercover investigation where those places charged for work they never did

I'm all for paying the neighborhood kids to do my lawn though
Old 08-01-06, 10:44 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by menech

Plus I don't trust the jiffy lube type places in my area.
I didn't even think Jiffy Lube had the filters and tools to do our oil changes?
I personally like the dealer, yeah it costs about 50 bucks, but I get it done on the weekend and therefore get to put road trip mileage on the loaner instead!
Old 08-01-06, 10:58 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tgara
Also, this poll is misleading. The entry of "I do it myself" implies that there is no cost (like in the other choices). But this is not true. When you do it yourself, there is no labor cost, but you still have to pay for oil and a filter.

I work hard during the week and the last thing I want to do on my time off is change my oil. While some folks get enjoyment out of doing this, I do not. So I'm happy to take it to a pro to do it for me. I take the same approach to cutting my lawn and cleaning my house.
I can do an oil change for about $12 in filter and oil costs. While I don't enjoy doing it myself, I do like the fact that it is done right.

Even if you go to the dealership, that is no guarantee that it will be done right. The techs are not paid very well for oil changes and are only given a very small amount of time (or are paid for only a very small amount of time regardless of how long it takes) to complete the job. Whenever that's the case, short cuts can and do happen.
Old 08-01-06, 10:39 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by al503
I can do an oil change for about $12 in filter and oil costs.
No kiddin' just 12 bucks, how much is the tool to remove the filter? Still that's a heck of a deal!
Old 08-02-06, 08:25 AM
IS35O
Pole Position

I have four is250 oil filters with gaskets if anyone is interested, they sent them accidently for my is350 and I'd rather sell them here instead of shipping them back and paying restocking fees. PM me if interested!

Also, any links for that Toyota 70mm oil filter wrench yet?
Old 08-02-06, 08:48 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can do an oil change for about $12 in filter and oil costs.
Do you like that generic oil? LOL
Old 08-02-06, 09:08 AM
viettho
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jewel
Do they do the wash at toyota?
Do they do synthetic at the dealerships? How much more is it?
Just got my IS 250. Got free car wash for lifetime, and free oil change at 5000 miles. Maybe you should ask for that too.
Old 08-02-06, 10:13 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gernby
Do you like that generic oil? LOL
Nope. $5.50 for the filter and I can get a case of Chevron 5w30 for around $1/quart when they're on sale at which time I'll stock up since I have 2 cars that use the same oil. Besides, most dino oils are very comparable. If you stick with the common brands, valvoline, pennzoil, etc., you'll be fine.

Last edited by al503; 08-02-06 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-02-06, 10:14 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ES3
No kiddin' just 12 bucks, how much is the tool to remove the filter? Still that's a heck of a deal!
$4 at the local GI Joes.
Old 08-02-06, 10:38 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Besides, most dino oils are very comparable. If you stick with the common brands, valvoline, pennzoil, etc., you'll be fine.
Not according to a test done by Amsoil.

http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/index....owtopic=169852
Old 08-02-06, 12:07 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gernby
Not according to a test done by Amsoil.

http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/index....owtopic=169852
Funny how their oil is on top of their test.

However, I have seen some independent tests and amsoil does very well in them. They're definitely not in first place in every single category but they are closer to the top than to the bottom.

You're probably familiar with bobistheoilguy.com. I don't really spend any time on there but if you did a search for the best dino/mineral oil, the responses would be that there is no real best. Every brand has their supporters and people who poo poo them.
Old 08-02-06, 12:33 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Funny how their oil is on top of their test.

However, I have seen some independent tests and amsoil does very well in them. They're definitely not in first place in every single category but they are closer to the top than to the bottom.

You're probably familiar with bobistheoilguy.com. I don't really spend any time on there but if you did a search for the best dino/mineral oil, the responses would be that there is no real best. Every brand has their supporters and people who poo poo them.
I'm familiar with bobistheoilguy.com, but I'm not a big oil nut. Regarding the test, I'm sure Amsoil IS better than all the others that were tested in every category. They didn't test any of the other premium oils that might have been better in some categories (Red LIne, Lubrication Engineers, etc.).
Old 08-02-06, 01:28 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Castrol GTX dino oil user here. Not sure about Chevron, but I agree that just about any 'name' brand dino oil is decent as long as you follow regular change intervals. Haven't had to change the oil in my IS just yet, and will have the dealer do the 1st complimentary service, so I have time to think about my maint strategy. Is it true that the 350 uses a different filter than the 250 ??? I really dislike how the IS and BMW uses these proprietary cannister type filter elements. Might have to give in and throw down on the TIS online subscription . . .
Old 08-02-06, 02:32 PM
MJB_LEX
Rookie

Originally Posted by GreyHound
This is the way it was in the 50's for you young'uns
after you get the filter off the car.
Where did you get the tool to remove the filter canister? I have been to Toyota and Lexus dealers and they do not stock them.

Quick Reply: Oil change stuff...