IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: How much do you pay for oil changes?
20 bucks of less
2.60%
20 to 30 bucks
17.21%
40 bucks+
31.49%
I do it myself
48.70%
Voters: 308. You may not vote on this poll

Oil change stuff...

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-06, 08:41 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Technique
But the book calls for oil every 15k miles, with intermediate oil changes in between if you want to pay for it. But BMW only pays for the necessary oil changes, which are between 13k-19k miles based on what I've seen in the 3 and 5 series...
Does BMW's book really say 15k? Regardless, it is interesting that scheduled maintenance intervals are much higher than 5k. Isn't there also a place you can send your used motor oil to determine how much metal is in it? If there's a lot, I guess one waited too long?
Old 10-03-06, 08:51 AM
rys
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ES3
Isn't there also a place you can send your used motor oil to determine how much metal is in it? If there's a lot, I guess one waited too long?
Blackstone Laboratories

Everyone should take note however that Technique's opinion is only an opinion. He has no test results to backup his claims.

As a result, I don't really think it's appropriate to follow his 20k+ oil change mentality.

Just because changing the oil at 20k hasn't broken Technique's car yet, it just means that failure is not consistent at 20k, same can be said for 45k on his friend's car. (Just because you _CAN_ do it, doesn't mean it's _good_ for the vehicle.) It's possible for me to drive, 20k miles with my tires at 14psi, and maybe I'll never have a blow out or a failure, maybe my friend can do the same and drive 40k miles, but it doesn't mean that someone else can do the same and not risk their vehicle doing it.

Technique, I urge you to stop giving people this advice. It's great and all that you choose to maintain your vehicle as you will, but until you have some actual hard data that shows that you're not harming the vehicle, why don't we just stop right here? (Hard data isn't "hey look, XXX car manufacturer does it this way", An IS350 and a different model or different make car is completely different.)

-Brian
Old 10-03-06, 08:56 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ES3
Does BMW's book really say 15k? Regardless, it is interesting that scheduled maintenance intervals are much higher than 5k.
It's simple. BMW recommends longer intervals because they're coughing up for the change. No doubt that the engine will last up to 50-60K miles even with those long intervals but they're off the hook for warranty issues after that time anyway.

Isn't there also a place you can send your used motor oil to determine how much metal is in it? If there's a lot, I guess one waited too long?
This is the best way to determine how long you can go without an oil change. It takes into consideration your car, your driving conditions and habits, etc. If someone did go 15K+ between changes and sent in a sample, I doubt that they would get a good report. In addition, many cars are burning a lot of oil. My last two cars were burning 1.5-2 quarts every 4K miles. Before deciding to try a long interval, make sure that you aren't going to burn off the oil and do some serious damage with periodic checks of the oil level.
Old 10-03-06, 09:08 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Technique
But BMW only pays for the necessary oil changes, which are between 13k-19k miles based on what I've seen in the 3 and 5 series...
My sister has an '06 330xi, does mostly highway driving, and it's asking for its first oil change just south of 10,000 miles. Just one data point, but I can't imagine what kind of driving you'd need to do to have it stretch out to 19k.

As for Lexus, I agree that the biggest benefit to the 5k change interval is to their dealer network's bottom line. Someone from the UK posted a few months back that the change intervals in the UK are significantly longer than in the US. I don't doubt that 7,500 or perhaps even 10,000 miles could be done safely.

But I still maintain that since a DIY oil change or one at a local shop will cost less than the price of a tank of gas, full compliance with the published schedule is cheap insurance to prevent warranty issues if you have a lubrication related failure.

And I also believe that extending the interval past 10,000 miles without doing oil analysis could be putting you engine in jeopardy. (Incidently, I think the estimate of $5-$8k for an engine replacement that someone posted earlier in this thread is WAY too low)

Last edited by Bichon; 10-03-06 at 09:20 AM.
Old 10-03-06, 09:15 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ES3
Does BMW's book really say 15k?
No, late model BMWs have code in the engine management computer to calculate the need for oil changes based on driving style, miles traveled, number of months, and other factors. The instrument display lets you know when maintenance is required.
Old 10-03-06, 09:16 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rys
Blackstone Laboratories

Everyone should take note however that Technique's opinion is only an opinion. He has no test results to backup his claims.

As a result, I don't really think it's appropriate to follow his 20k+ oil change mentality.

Just because changing the oil at 20k hasn't broken Technique's car yet, it just means that failure is not consistent at 20k, same can be said for 45k on his friend's car. (Just because you _CAN_ do it, doesn't mean it's _good_ for the vehicle.) It's possible for me to drive, 20k miles with my tires at 14psi, and maybe I'll never have a blow out or a failure, maybe my friend can do the same and drive 40k miles, but it doesn't mean that someone else can do the same and not risk their vehicle doing it.

Technique, I urge you to stop giving people this advice. It's great and all that you choose to maintain your vehicle as you will, but until you have some actual hard data that shows that you're not harming the vehicle, why don't we just stop right here? (Hard data isn't "hey look, XXX car manufacturer does it this way", An IS350 and a different model or different make car is completely different.)

-Brian
First, I totally agree with you that my method might not be good for the engine, but what I'm saying is I don't think it's bad. Remember, Jaguar calls for oil every 10k miles, and I doubt their engines are twice as "oil friendly" as Toyota engines. In fact, I think it's the opposite. I think Japanese engines are the best on the planet for durability and reliability and they can go 15k-20k between oil changes just fine. Yes, it's just my opinion, and I have nothing to back it up except for the few Japanese cars I've owned. I'm not claiming to be an expert, I'm just a single guy with a different opinion than most people...

As far as giving advice, I don't care what other people do. I am not actually giving advice, just stating my opinions. If people want to copy me, fine. If people want to to the opposite of me, fine. If they want to change their oil every 1k, fine. If they want to change it every 100k, fine. If you want to buy slick 50, fine... It's a free country, do what you want... I will continue to post my opinions... It's up to everyone who reads all the various posts on here to make up their own minds...

Bottom line is I'm lazy, I highly value my free time, and probably will never keep a car past 80k-100k miles. So, in my opinion, changing my oil more than once per year is a waste of time and money for me.
Old 10-03-06, 09:22 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bichon
My sister has an '06 330xi, does mostly highway driving, and it's asking for its first oil change just south of 10,000 miles. Just one data point, but I can't imagine what kind of driving you'd need to do to have it stretch out to 19k.

As for Lexus, I agree that the biggest benefit to the 5k change interval is to their dealer network's bottom line. Someone from the UK posted a few months back that the change intervals in the UK are significantly longer than in the US. I don't doubt that 7,500 or perhaps even 10,000 miles could be done safely.

But I still maintain that since a DIY oil change or one at a local shop will cost less than the price of a tank of gas, full compliance with the published schedule is cheap insurance to prevent warranty issues if you have a lubrication related failure.

The 3 series will call for oil changes around 10-13k miles... the 5-series will call for oil changes less frequently, around 13-19k miles for the 540 and probably 550... The more highway miles you drive, the longer the interval will be...

Also, keep in mind the first BMW oil change will probably be your shortest interval, so just under 10k is the shortest your sister will probably ever have, the next will be mroe like 12k miles.

I agree with your statement about a local shop being cheap insurance. But for me, it's the time, not the money, that dictates my stance. And even wasting 1 hour of my free time is not worth it... But, speaking strictly dollarwise, if I had unlimited free time, yes I'd probably change my oil at my local shop every 3 months, I don't think it would help the car much, but what the heck, if I have unlimited time and the cost is minimal, then I have nothing to lose. Just like filling up with premium gas in a car that doesn't need it if you are filthy rich...
Old 10-03-06, 09:25 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

The ONLY safe way to exceed the recommended OCI (oil change interval) is to have an UOA (used oil analysis) done. If you intend to extent it to 10K miles, take a sample at just over the recommended OCI (5K miles) to see what condition and how much life is left. Make sure they do the TBN count. Then take another sample at 10K miles to again see what's doing. And again at 15K if you intend to extend it that long. The rule of thumb is you must use a premium synthetic oil and filter. (Mobil 1 or Amsoil and a high quality/capacity filter.) You should limit the interval to 1 year. Amsoil 0w-30 is rated to last UP TO 35K miles within 1 year if UOAs are performed. Toyota engines are noted to be gentle on oil and usually can go 10K miles and 1 year and still provide safe protection, just do the UOA.

Koz
Old 10-03-06, 09:29 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bichon
No, late model BMWs have code in the engine management computer to calculate the need for oil changes based on driving style, miles traveled, number of months, and other factors. The instrument display lets you know when maintenance is required.
Well, there is "Inspection I" and "Inspection II", which comes every 30k and 60k miles respectively, and "Oil Change" every 15k miles. There is an oil change at these intervals, if you have not already had one based on the dynamic system calling you into the dealership for one recently. So basically if your car doesn't need it, you can still get it done every 15k miles for free.

Maybe a current BMW owner can shed some light on this, my knowledge is from my E46 M3, which is a bit outdated.

Anyway, my point was, BMWs usually go a minimum of 10k between oil changes, and as high as 15k.
Old 10-03-06, 09:31 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Koz: Well said...
Old 10-03-06, 02:37 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,962 Likes on 2,400 Posts

A famous case study from Amsoil:
Most of you are familiar with Haywood Gray's 409,000-mile drain interval using AMSOIL 15W-40 Diesel Oil and our By-Pass Oil Filter. After going twenty times the drain interval recommended for his Mack E7-400 diesel engine, his local Mack dealership disassembled his engine and had the parts examined for wear by a certified engine rater. The results were predictable as far as AMSOIL was concerned. Very light wear, if any. In fact, many of the parts including the piston pins showed no wear at all. All the parts could have been re-installed in the engine for continued use. That's after 409,000 miles on one oil change! How many people even drive their vehicles 409,000 miles? That's more miles than many vehicles get on them in a lifetime of use. So when we say never change oil again, for many drivers, that's exactly what we mean! And consider this was a diesel engine. Diesels inherently produce more combustion soot and solid contaminants for the oil to disperse and the filter to remove. In all likelihood, if this had been a gasoline engine, it could have been used much longer with similar results.
I see no reason to bust Technique's chops on this. He may be changing his oil too frequently too.

Something else to consider: you can't change the oil without introducing contamination into the engine. Doesn't it make a lot more sense to do something like a bypass filtration system and only change the filter when it indicates the need? Just top off the oil and continue? Sure you want to back it up with analysis, but it wouldn't surprise me if you could do a "lifetime" fill and just change a main and bypass filter for the life of the vehicle with acceptable results.
Old 10-03-06, 02:42 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I am not sure if my question goes in this thread but here it is.

My car just hits 11000 miles and I want to change my oil again ( this time with full synthetic oil) and I asked the stealership and it costs 250$. WTF?

And in addn'l to the oil change, there are so many other BS stuff that she listed.

Is there anything important at 10K service other than oil change?

Thanks
Old 10-03-06, 03:09 PM
rys
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
A famous case study from Amsoil:

I see no reason to bust Technique's chops on this. He may be changing his oil too frequently too.

Something else to consider: you can't change the oil without introducing contamination into the engine. Doesn't it make a lot more sense to do something like a bypass filtration system and only change the filter when it indicates the need? Just top off the oil and continue? Sure you want to back it up with analysis, but it wouldn't surprise me if you could do a "lifetime" fill and just change a main and bypass filter for the life of the vehicle with acceptable results.
Whoa there Lance,

That's a great idea, but keep in mind, no one here has stated that they are running a bypass filtration system (and I really doubt anyone has one on their IS.)

It would be great if the IS came with one from the factory, but it doesn't. Further examining details regarding Amsoil's bypass system reveal why the engine could survive 409k miles - The bypass filtration system provided filtration that wasn't provided by the full flow filter.

Yes, a lifetime fill, and only changing a bypass filter would be great, but that's not what we're talking about here. We're talking about our cars, that isn't how they've been designed, they were designed for periodic oil maintenance.

I'll agree that 5k may be a waste of money and time, but anything past 10k, as Koz has stated, should be investigated with a UOA test.

-Brian
Old 10-03-06, 04:15 PM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Service Reminder Light.

I've read through this entire thread and no one has mentioned how to reset the service reminder in the instrument cluster. So here it is.

*Start with ignition off.
*Press and hold the reset button for the trip odometer.
(this button also toggles through trip a, b, and the main mileage odometer)
*Turn the ignition on without starting the engine.
*You will see the display for the odometer count down.
It will also say complete when done.
Make sure you do not let go of the button untill this is complete/done.

The maint. reminder reset procedure is self explanitory on the Nav. Screen.

Btw, I change my oil on both my Lexi at 4k mile intervals using Mobile 1. Its called "Peace of mind" No problems with sludge. No chance for moisture and HC to degrade the oil.
I also drain and fill the trans in the GS at every oil service. The T-IV still looks bright red and it keeps my PI TC happy.

-Will
Old 10-03-06, 04:50 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TAMR_GUS98
I've read through this entire thread and no one has mentioned how to reset the service reminder in the instrument cluster. So here it is.
Read the FAQ 'read this first' thread stickied at the top of the forum, it's in there.

Quick Reply: Oil change stuff...