IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Who has ordered a 2007 IS model already and have the chance to play it with VDIM off?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-06, 10:12 PM
MYIS350
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Who has ordered a 2007 IS model already and have the chance to play it with VDIM off?

What's up, my fellow clubmates! I placed a special order on a 2006 IS350 back on May 23rd with $2000 discount. After two weeks, I called the dealership and asked if my order was accepted by the factory in Japan. My dealer said yes, it is. However, in the first week of July, another salesman from the same dealership called me saying that the factory has stopped accepting orders for 06. So, I have to tell the gentleman to send me original order for a 07 model. Here is my question:

Who else is lucky enough to order a 07 model that has a VDIM off button?
Old 07-06-06, 10:25 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

I don't think anyone can have the chance to play with vdim off yet as you still cannot get an 07, only place an order for one and wait until they're available.
Old 07-06-06, 10:30 PM
Kamikaze2b
Lead Lap

Do you know for sure that a VDIM off button will be installed?
Old 07-07-06, 03:31 AM
SolaraToIS
Lead Lap

My order for an 07 IS350 was placed last month
Old 07-07-06, 06:29 AM
bgarre
Driver

anyone know if the 06 can be upgraded with "the switch"?
Old 07-07-06, 06:55 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bgarre
anyone know if the 06 can be upgraded with "the switch"?
Not yet. The button may control the computer program for VDIM, not something mechanical, so it may be difficult to get that configured...
Old 07-07-06, 07:07 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Not yet. The button may control the computer program for VDIM, not something mechanical, so it may be difficult to get that configured...
I believe that the controller firmware is flash upgradable with a dealer scan tool, so Lexus could do it if they wanted to, using the existing trac off button.
Old 07-07-06, 07:54 AM
TheNewGuy
Pole Position

Does anybody really know if you can shut off VDIM with the button on the 07 or is this just all hearsay
Old 07-07-06, 07:56 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by TheNewGuy
Does anybody really know if you can shut off VDIM with the button on the 07 or is this just all hearsay
Don't yah love the snowball effect of rumors
Old 07-07-06, 08:21 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

originally started from this, hopefully it is true:
http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=296570
Old 07-07-06, 09:01 AM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm still not understanding what the big deal is with the VDIM switch. I paid a lot of money for this vehicle to have safety features like this, and wouldn't disable it if I could. There are a few people running quarter miles and carving canyons on the weekend, but for the other 99.9% of us Lexus buyers, the VDIM kill switch is absolutely useless. I can still drive the car aggressively...just not wrecklessly.

Maybe it's the demographics of this forum. I would say the posters in this forum aren't representative of the average Lexus buyer, though.
Old 07-07-06, 09:08 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 15951
I'm still not understanding what the big deal is with the VDIM switch. I paid a lot of money for this vehicle to have safety features like this, and wouldn't disable it if I could. There are a few people running quarter miles and carving canyons on the weekend, but for the other 99.9% of us Lexus buyers, the VDIM kill switch is absolutely useless. I can still drive the car aggressively...just not wrecklessly.

Maybe it's the demographics of this forum. I would say the posters in this forum aren't representative of the average Lexus buyer, though.
you can keep the switch on then

BMW and Mercedes have kill switches for their traction control systems which really hurt performance if you want to track the car. VDIM was reviewed very negatively to interfere in performance testing, which this is suppose to be Lexus performance car. If it wants to truly compete with the 3 series it needs to take the gloves off
Old 07-07-06, 09:54 AM
yellowssm
Lead Lap

Not everyone wants a 100% safe car 100% of the time. I would have to argue also that 99.9% of IS owners wouldnt want to turn VDIM off, there is alot more than you think. You paid alot of money for the safety of this car but, alot of people paid just as much as you if not alot more than you to have not just a safe car but also a car that they can take to the track, do a burnout if they want, have a good run at the drag strip, etc without having VDIM interfere with the cars true potential. I personally think if I spent $40k plus on a car I want $40k plus out of it. Not everyone is gonna turn VDIM and drive like a jacka55 and screw things up for everyone else. Turning VDIM off is one of the reasons a Lexus will never be as good as a BMW in the handling depatment. Just my .02
Old 07-07-06, 10:39 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

To be fair, disabling VDIM does not mean you may thereby drive wrecklessly. Many times, these stability systems are put in place to interfere well before the tires or chassis have exceeded their limits (for the most part grip)- it shouldn't be confused with the implications behind the suggested aggressive or even wreckless driving. In fact, the systems are very reactive, and cannot predict what lies ahead of the road, making the car unpredictable at times. You can experience greater lateral G's without crossing the threshold into unsafe territory, for the above reason, by disabling traction and stability programs. For a performance oriented sedan, Toyota still went a bit conservative on the performance end with the IS. Its apparent that their IS cannot compete with the likes of their competition in feel or handling, especially if they don't provide the consumer with the ability to actually 'drive' the car (another mistake was lack of a manual). By their own advertisement, the system isn't supposed to be very intrusive, while providing increased performance, but its obvious that it doesn't, and in fact offers just the contrary. BMW and other brands make equally safe, and great handling cars, without as much electronic assist; but as any driver should know, any assist program should not be adopted as a substitute for a drivers ability. Traction control isn't necessarily a safety item, as it can be hazardous in a few situations when power cut is initiated before grip is lost. With a VDIM disable feature (which can be toggled), it provides IS owners with the ability to explore the cars chassis and suspension, and drive in the fashion it was built for.
Old 07-07-06, 02:54 PM
Julez
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheNewGuy
I ordered an 07 from Toyota directly for an exec lease and I have the manifest. I have compared it side by side to an 06 manifest that I just happen to have had, and I see nothing different. I ordered the 07 350 ST VN and the ST does not come with Illuminated scuff plates as some people have rumored, and no where in the Safety/Luxury Specs is there any mention of a VDIM button off. I would post pics but I think someone borrowed my camera w/o permission because it's not where it usually is.

Quick Reply: Who has ordered a 2007 IS model already and have the chance to play it with VDIM off?