IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

In Mid-Hack - Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-06, 02:20 PM
BShears
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did have CD-MP3 mode working fine. Sound in all.

I then wanted to disable the "I Agree" screen so I went thru the procedure to go into "Simple Mode." It's now that I can't get it back and the Nav says "No Changer" when I press the "Disc" button.

I have to get out of simple mode.
Old 07-08-06, 02:23 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SuperLexy
Hmmm...I was wondering how you got it to install in CD-MP3 emulation. That didn't work for me. When I installed it as such, I got no sound from the DVD/CD changer, though I could scroll through tracks and disks just fine. The Vais in CD-MP3 mode worked fine, however. It wasn't until I reset the unit and installed the Vais in CD Mode, did everything work correctly (though, I now have less buttons and information on the Vais screen).

Not sure about the SCAN part, but it may be related to the fact that you installed in CD-MP3 mode (since you are already experiencing no sound with the radio)...check out my post after I installed it last weekend: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=224916

In fact, I would be interested to know in what mode people with ML installed their Vais. In my experience, it only works in CD emulation mode...

Ed
Actually I believe I was able to successfully put mine in CD-MP3 mode.
Old 07-08-06, 02:49 PM
BShears
Rookie

Things are getting better.

I did what SuperLexy did and let the nav sit totally unplugged. No power, everything disconnected. I then connected the Vais and turned the car back on. I got three quick beeps. I shut it down, did the CD-MP3 programming and I was back! Back to where I was hours ago before I tried simple mode. I will gladly press the "I agree" screen if I never have to go thru that agian! I'm now going to mount the Nav and start the beginning of the end.
Old 07-08-06, 03:04 PM
IS3FIDDY
Driver

Originally Posted by kensteele
Actually I believe I was able to successfully put mine in CD-MP3 mode.
Wow seriously? And you had no audio or control problems in DVD mode (or any other mode, for that matter)?

What do you guys gain in CD-MP3 mode anyway? I can't remember the screen...all I get now is the "CD title" field (i.e. Playlist) and the "Track" field (i.e. Song title)...

Has anyone else installed in CD-MP3 mode? That sucks for me...seems like it's unpredictable behavior with the Vais depending on which mode you install in...
Old 07-08-06, 03:07 PM
IS3FIDDY
Driver

Originally Posted by BShears
Things are getting better.

I did what SuperLexy did and let the nav sit totally unplugged. No power, everything disconnected. I then connected the Vais and turned the car back on. I got three quick beeps. I shut it down, did the CD-MP3 programming and I was back! Back to where I was hours ago before I tried simple mode. I will gladly press the "I agree" screen if I never have to go thru that agian! I'm now going to mount the Nav and start the beginning of the end.
Good to know, and I'm glad you got back. I know the feeling...it's a panicking feeling and a sense of dread when the audio is not working as advertised...when it's fixed, you just don't want to touch it again...

That being said, without knowing your personality, I wouldn't be surprised if, after a few days/weeks you'll get annoyed enough with the I agree button as well as feel confident enough to go back in and fix it up again... Haha, maybe it's just me, but I want my system to work to it's fullest potential...
Old 07-08-06, 03:12 PM
BShears
Rookie

Ken: I DO want the "I Agree" to work but the only way I got out of that trap was unplugging everything. I guess, with everything connected I could just pull the battery.

SuperLexy: I didn't do anything special. I made sure the EQ was off on my iPod (I have the iPod Photo - the one just before the video one) and follewed the steps. It works fine.
Old 07-08-06, 03:15 PM
IS3FIDDY
Driver

Originally Posted by BShears
Ken: I DO want the "I Agree" to work but the only way I got out of that trap was unplugging everything. I guess, with everything connected I could just pull the battery.

SuperLexy: I didn't do anything special. I made sure the EQ was off on my iPod (I have the iPod Photo - the one just before the video one) and follewed the steps. It works fine.
Nice.

I wondering if it's because of my iPod? I have the 30G Video one...

Could someone take a picture of the screen in their spare time and post up here (or PM me) so I can see what I'm missing?
Old 07-11-06, 05:47 PM
BShears
Rookie

All you guys who helped me in mid-Hack I want to thank you.

Everything works except for the "I Agree." I tried following the procedure in the Vais manual but it didn't remove the screen and locked my Vais into simple mode. I had to disconnect everything (ala SuperLexy) and start over. I'm worried if I try again, now that everything is put back together, it'll get stuck in Simple mode again and I'll be out of luck.

Here's a synopsis:
1. I covered both front seats, the steering wheel and the glove box with thick plastic. On top of that I used A LOT of towels. NO SCRATCHES!!! YEAH!!

2. As you can see from this thread, the real trouble I had was with one of the vent clips. It took me an hour to get it out but I did it. You'll see from the picture the problem was the tab (the top arrow) was behind the part below (the bottom arrow). I must have pushed it back with my screwdriver somehow when I first started. Because of that it wouldn't "snap" open. Before I put the vents back in I set it in the correct position.

3. I did the hack using solder. I then taped over the splices. I couldn't get the red ground wire long enough to get to the bolt on the side so I soldered another wire to it. I used solder because I don't ever want to go back in there again!

4. I put the Vais where Pocky did and put the iPod in the center console.

I do have a question about destinations in motion but I'll be posting that in a different thread.

Thanks to all who went before me. I really mean it, you guys are all very helpful.

I'm lovin' my iPod!!!!
Old 07-11-06, 08:23 PM
BShears
Rookie

Here's the bad clip that caused me all the problems.
Attached Thumbnails In Mid-Hack - Question-bad_clip.jpg