IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Doesn’t the nav-hack compromise safety?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-06, 03:43 PM
rys
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Magellan
The problem here is your suggestion that the risk is solely the hacker’s..
No, you are mistaken, I didn't say the risk is soley the hackers. I simply meant to point out that the liability is on the driver, and possibly the person performing the modification (if they are different persons).

When I say "risk" in my post above, I mean that the person is risking being held liable. You are using risk in a different sense to mean risk of injury and damage to people, environment, and property.

-Brian
Old 07-11-06, 03:52 PM
TheNewGuy
Pole Position

Hi, I am the gentleman that wrote in a thread that I did the NAV Hack so my kids could watch movies from the backseat. My children are 2 and 4 so unless you have kids that age and have ever taken then on a road trip or move every 2yrs like I do being in the military, shut it. The movies that are usually played in my car are Nickelodeon shows like Spongebob and Rugrats so I have no intrest in watching them. With the fact that I can use my MP3 player why would I want to watch a movie that I can't pay attention to while driving my car when I could sit at home and watch it on my couch with popcorn and a beer. So tell me why is it on this site that you have to cry and moan like an old fat lady that write her Congressman because she doesn't like what show is on T.V., instead of changing the god damn channel. People like you self appointed moral and censorship monitors have ruined a lot of good this in this country. Please just go away.

BTW: you might have noticed that I am pissed. How dare you think to judge my actions when I feel that I have done something for the betterment of my driving... it easier to drive with quite kids that one that are screaming at the top of their lungs. Thank you that is all I have on this issue

Last edited by PhilipMSPT; 07-11-06 at 04:37 PM.
Old 07-11-06, 04:07 PM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

the reason the system is designed to prevent you from doing certain functions while the car is moving is for SAFETY.
Acura allows input while the vehicle is in motion, which works great and is far more practical. If they are going to lock you out of the navigation system while in motion, they might as well lock you out of generic radios in cars without navigation options for the same purposes.
Old 07-11-06, 04:17 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rys
No, you are mistaken, I didn't say the risk is soley the hackers. I simply meant to point out that the liability is on the driver, and possibly the person performing the modification (if they are different persons).

When I say "risk" in my post above, I mean that the person is risking being held liable. You are using risk in a different sense to mean risk of injury and damage to people, environment, and property.

-Brian
Well, OK, I stand corrected. At least we can agree that there’s a risk factor here. Of course, the risk in my sense, as you say I used, is still out there.

And it’s certainly worth discussing without getting hysterical like another poster just did.
Old 07-11-06, 04:26 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Shinobi-X
Acura allows input while the vehicle is in motion, which works great and is far more practical. If they are going to lock you out of the navigation system while in motion, they might as well lock you out of generic radios in cars without navigation options for the same purposes.
Well, I curious as to why you think that is. Does Toyota and Nissan not allow this in their nav systems because they’re just afraid of lawsuits, or do they sincerely believe it’s a safety hazard, or do they have no rational reason at all?
Old 07-11-06, 04:31 PM
j|michael
Driver

I know that this topic has already been throroughly discussed, but i feel like sharing my angles on the matter.

i am 20, and just UPGRADED (in a big way) from a Yukon Denali (lowered, chipped, 24's, dash LCD (touch screen, nav, dvd) and countless other mods). my first and biggest complaint with my IS350 when I picked it up from the lot was the screen restrictions.

I integrate my SLVR via bluetooth, and yet i can't dial from the screen unless i'm stopped? i just end up grabbing my cell out of the center consol to dial until the handsfree takes over (which, i might add, is more dangerous than using the large keypad on the screen).

also, i am used to my passangers being able to watch music DVD's while i drive. children or not, riding in a car, especially for long periods of time can get insanely boring. i completely understand the risk factor of it being in front of my face, but couldn't i be just as easily tempted to stare at the GPS map to see which fast food restaurants are near by? i'm pretty sure as a driver, i am responsible to use self control in many areas, not just ignoring an lcd screen.

as for the legal aspect, i have been stopped by police on several occasions (they love stopping flashy suv's), and though i have been asked about the screen, have never been hassled or ticketed for it.

and yet i'm still too scared to do this hack myself i wonder if i can find a shop that would be willing to do it and guarantee their work...
Old 07-11-06, 05:43 PM
Lets Drive
Racer

Well, I curious as to why you think that is. Does Toyota and Nissan not allow this in their nav systems because they’re just afraid of lawsuits, or do they sincerely believe it’s a safety hazard, or do they have no rational reason at all?
Radios and the like have also been proven to be distracting factors, which contribute to a host of accidents...its sort of contradictory IMO, to limit access to one, and not the other in the interest of safety. What toyota chooses to do is their own business, and makes a lot of sense in theory at the same time, however, Acura (with the same warning screens) allows input while driving, and for me as well as many others, it continues to work just fine. I still enter my destination while stopped, and make adjustments while driving if necessary. Its a shame Toyota doesn't feel this way, but in any event, the user just hacks for the capability; it does not mean they now throw caution to the wind, simply because they wish to take part in a more practical use of their Nav system. A responsible driver is still a responsible driver one way or another, so I favor the idea of letting that decision rest upon that individual. Again, I see it as no more a distraction than radios and other components on the dash which require a momentary shift in attention...but just as I ask my passenger to operate the radio when I drive, they should also be able to operate the navigation.

I completely agree with the following argument:

And, at the very least, I should be able to let my wife program the system without having to pull over on a major highway to do it (which I've had to do in the last three months, by the way). If automakers can put a sensor in the passenger seat to turn an airbag on or off, they can certainly allow a navigation system to function while a car is in motion, even if only when the passenger seat is occupied.

Edit:
A link to the NHTSA site, regarding implications using in-vehicle technologies while driving.

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/nrd...inal0700_1.pdf

Last edited by Lets Drive; 07-11-06 at 06:07 PM.
Old 07-11-06, 10:15 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Thumbs up

To point out that radios and the like are also distracting factors is true, but it doesn’t justify adding another distracting factor, in my view, such as navigation inputs while moving. Pointing out one bad thing to justify another is not a valid argument. It’s just rationalization, as I said in my original post.

Some of you agree that the nav-hack compromises safety, and others do not. So be it. You’re all free to do what you think is best for you and your family. While I’m a bit surprised at the emotion this topic has raised, I still think it was a good discussion, lest this forum regulate itself to mundane topics like what color IS we bought or how old we are.
Old 07-11-06, 10:22 PM
suprafrank
Rookie

Drive responsively and safely. That's all I will say. Do whatever you want but don't put other people's lives at risks. I am too lazy to do the nav hack. But if I did hack the nav, just because.......it's cool. But I don't think I will try to search for an address or direction while my car is in motion. I am not stupid and I hope no one will be so stupid. Or at least I will have the passenger to do that and definitely not me doing so while I am driving.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IS 350, Metador Red, Black Leather, Lux package, Navigation, Mark Levinson system, Tanabe exhaust soon

OK, I’m an old fuddy-duddy, a boy scout, a behind-the-times nerd, but I don’t understand this attraction to doing the Nav-hack.

I mean besides the various problems you’re having after the hack, the reason the system is designed to prevent you from doing certain functions while the car is moving is for SAFETY. Isn’t that obvious? Lexus doesn’t want you to kill yourself by fiddling with screens instead of keeping your eyes on the road. The opening screen clearly says, Make selections only when stopped, and, of course, you press the I Agree button, liar that you are. Lexus, and other car manufacturers, don’t want to be liable for numerous million-dollar lawsuits resulting from accidents that they think are inevitable.

Some of you even are watching DVD movies while driving! (Yes, I know it’s for the kids in the back, but the screen is still in the front.) Doesn’t that suggest to you that it’s not a good idea, that you’re endangering yourself, your family, or some unlucky family of six you kill in a head-on collision? What am I missing here?

Well, if you’re going to do a nav-hack then why not also:
• Take out the seat belts. They’re only extra weight and you don’t use them anyway.
• Disconnect the turn signals. They waste electricity and that clicking sound is annoying. Besides where you’re going to turn is nobody’s business.
• Remove the passenger side air bag from its housing. That area would now be ideal for storing those DVD’s you’re watching on the nav screen.

Seriously, I know the arguments: We change radio stations, climate settings, smoke, dial some cell phones, scratch our ***, all while driving, so this is no worse. Or, “I’m such a skilled driver I can do both,” or “Pulling over is a waste of my time,” or “Only my passenger would make selections.” Rationalization, all rationalization.

Now I don’t want to be a PITA as I’m fairly new to this forum, but of all the threads I’ve read regarding the Nav-hack, no one has brought up the clear potential for compromising safety, and I don’t understand why.
Attached Thumbnails -clublexus2.jpg  
Old 07-11-06, 11:14 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

bald tires compromise safety.

cracked windshields compromise safety.

a non-working rear window defroster compromise safety.

brake light out compromise safety.

thin brake rotors compromise safety.

defective seatbelts compromise safety.

a hacked nav does not compromise safety.
Old 07-11-06, 11:29 PM
stevejenn1
Rookie

Just had mine hacked. Love it. If I choose to use it improperly, then that's my stupidity. But like many others have stated, there are a lot of "unsafe" practices we do while driving. For me, having my kids watch the DVD's in peace is much less distracting than their usual outbursts.
Old 07-12-06, 05:29 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

To point out that radios and the like are also distracting factors is true, but it doesn’t justify adding another distracting factor, in my view, such as navigation inputs while moving. Pointing out one bad thing to justify another is not a valid argument. It’s just rationalization, as I said in my original post.
Pointing out the fact that a radio is a distraction, is by no means used to justify another potential distraction. The purpose is to show that some of your criticism, appears to be supported by a double-standard, when you attempt to apply a distinction between the two in the interest of safety. If you have issue with navigation system inputs while driving (which is warranted), why not extend it to cover distractions in general, such as radio functions? I'm not yet convinced that one is less likely to be a factor in the cause of accidents than the other, and since I can't operate both simultaenously, I don't believe it produces a cumulative effect, with regard to potential distraction, simply by having presence in the vehicle. The heavier support for my argument, will lay on the fact that Acura allows input while driving, while I have taken it upon myself in practice, to operate the navigation system (among other distractions) as responsibly as possible. I can't speak for the experience of others, but I firmly believe the bottom line is defined by personal responsibility, of which there is no substitute (short of an extreme).
Old 07-12-06, 06:33 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by kensteele
a hacked nav does not compromise safety.
Not directly, but perhaps indirectly. This arcticle cites research indicating that dialing a cell phone while driving triples your chance of having a collision: http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/04/20/dri...udy/index.html

Then again, the article claims the research shows that reaching for a moving object like a toppling Snapple bottle increases your chance for a collision nine-fold -- yet the car encourages drivers to consume beverages while driving by providing copious quantities of cup and bottle holders.

Last edited by Bichon; 07-12-06 at 06:38 AM.
Old 07-13-06, 09:18 AM
MichealIS3
Driver School Candidate

Well, if you’re going to do a nav-hack then why not also:
• Take out the seat belts. They’re only extra weight and you don’t use them anyway.
• Disconnect the turn signals. They waste electricity and that clicking sound is annoying. Besides where you’re going to turn is nobody’s business.
• Remove the passenger side air bag from its housing. That area would now be ideal for storing those DVD’s you’re watching on the nav screen.
. Take out the seat belts >>>>No seatbelts >>> TICKETS
. Disconnect the turn signals >>>> TICKETS

Did anybody here got a ticket for doing the NAV hack?
Old 07-13-06, 09:27 AM
MichealIS3
Driver School Candidate

Magellan, you should be a lawyer.
If i were you, I would send a letter to the law maker to make all the car in US to have the maximum top speed to 80mpg. So that way it reduces the risk of accident.

For that matter, we both live in California. I wouldn’t take it kindly if it was my family you wiped out one day on the 210 freeway while taking your eyes off the road for that horrific instant.
Don't tell me you never go over the speed limit.

I wouldn’t take it kindly if it was my family you wiped out one day on the 210 freeway while speeding for that horrific instant

Quick Reply: Doesn’t the nav-hack compromise safety?