IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

MTEC HIDs

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-06, 11:47 AM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MTEC HIDs

Does anyone know why many IS owners buy MTEC HIDs? There are other Japanese HID brands, but what is so special about MTECs? I've read posts from people who installed them. Is this one of the best HIDs in Japan?
Old 07-11-06, 12:48 PM
jewel
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's a cheap brand that can be easily obtained on ebay. They don't seem to use name brand bulbs tho.
Old 07-12-06, 09:27 AM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Just got an e-mail from someone at MTEC. The HID kits are made in Taiwan. Now, I'm not going to knock it because it is made in Taiwan (just like other cheap products) because I read many good reviews from people who have them on their 2IS and other cars. I realize cars in Japan use them as OEM part. I just don't like false advertisements, such as "This product is made in Japan" or "Authentic Japan".... when it's not. People will do anything to make a buck. But I will let it's performance speak for itself rather than where it is made. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-12-06, 09:38 AM
totoro1224
Driver

It is going to be hard for you to find some HID that made in Japan these day, most of them are made in Taiwan now. Maybe "Catz" are still made in Japan, but it's going to be quite expensive.
Old 07-12-06, 09:44 AM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Just curious, to those who have stock HIDs in their 2IS, who makes them? Is it a Lexus OEM part?
Old 07-12-06, 09:48 AM
C280to250
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Flipsonic
Does anyone know why many IS owners buy MTEC HIDs? There are other Japanese HID brands, but what is so special about MTECs? I've read posts from people who installed them. Is this one of the best HIDs in Japan?

They all feel secure that they paid something expensive and that everyone is using.
They are all the same aftermarket KIT.
As long as you get a 1year warranty you'll be fine.

go to ebay or PM i'll give you a number to call the guy is in elmonte.
I Had there HID different cars and the longest one i had was 2years never had a single problem.

goodluck
Old 07-12-06, 12:34 PM
flyfl1pguy

Ofcourse you want a good brand, but mtec is not that bad. Just try to look into the brand your getting and just let us know what you decide on.
Old 07-12-06, 01:38 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

My main reason for buying the MTEcs was...

1) The igniter is built into the ballast
2) The price isnt terrible
Old 07-12-06, 01:41 PM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Originally Posted by tqlla3k

How long have you had it and how do you like the performance?
Old 07-12-06, 07:20 PM
RCFormante
Supercharged!

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by tqlla3k

Plus 2 years of warranty. 9 months and it still looks great
Old 07-13-06, 12:50 AM
flyfl1pguy

I say just get the mTEC. As you can see, a lot IS owners have MTEC.
Old 07-13-06, 01:10 AM
Alex350
Lexus Test Driver

Hey guys, I just received and installed my Xtec HID's for my foglights today. They only cost $254 shipped by FedEx and they have a LIFETIME warranty (they are actually on sale until the end of this month I think, I've seen them on other websites for $350+). So if you guys are looking for something cheap and good THIS IS IT!!

The only bad thing now is that even though I bought the 4500K (pure white) kit to "match" my OEM HIDs, the headlight HIDs now look like freakin' regular lightbulbs I guess I'm going to have to buy a set of 6000K bulbs to make it look better.

They also have a cheaper "lifetime" warranty kit called "Apexcone" for $200 shipped

Oh, I forgot to mention that both kits feature have the ballast and ignitor integrated into one box and you don't even have to hook up wires to the battery, which makes it the easiest HID kit I've ever installed!!!

Here's the link that will give you the special price:

http://www.understeer.com/lighting-specials.shtml
Old 07-13-06, 01:12 AM
flyfl1pguy

Originally Posted by Alex350
Hey guys, I just received and installed my Xtec HID's for my foglights today. They only cost $254 shipped by FedEx and they have a LIFETIME warranty (they are actually on sale until the end of this month I think, I've seen them on other websites for $350+). So if you guys are looking for something cheap and good THIS IS IT!!

The only bad thing now is that even though I bought the 4500K (pure white) kit to "match" my OEM HIDs, the headlight HIDs now look like freakin' regular lightbulbs I guess I'm going to have to buy a set of 6000K bulbs to make it look better.

They also have a cheaper "lifetime" warranty kit called "Apexcone" for $200 shipped

Oh, I forgot to mention that both kits feature have the ballast and ignitor integrated into one box and you don't even have to hook up wires to the battery, which makes it the easiest HID kit I've ever installed!!!

Pics of headlights and fogs on please.
Old 07-13-06, 06:31 AM
MeTrO
Driver

Originally Posted by Alex350

Which kit/bulb numbers did you order for the fogs?? Also, do they have replacements for the headlights?
Old 07-13-06, 08:08 AM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Originally Posted by flyfl1pguy
I say just get the mTEC. As you can see, a lot IS owners have MTEC.
And I wonder what started this MTEC trend? Is there an official unbiased review somewhere (like the one about Phillips/Sylvania)? Or is it just a cheaper alternative? So far, what I have read is it is all word of mouth available from EBay, it's cheaper and people like the performance. I'm just trying to find the source why MTEC is so popular. I'm not one for "that's what everyone has, therefore that's what I'll get".

Quick Reply: MTEC HIDs