IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

installing an amplifier

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-06, 12:13 AM
sizzlingde
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installing an amplifier

I've got an is360 with nav it, I wanna install one jl audio 300/4 for the speakers and one jl 1000/1 for two 12w7, is there an easy way to do this so I don't loose any of the functionality of my nav plus the cd changer?(so I could control the base and stuff from my nav screen) any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-12-06, 04:37 AM
cmusic
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Do a search on my username and "LC8". There are several threads explaining how to do this, and it is more difficult than you think.
Old 07-12-06, 09:01 AM
sanwong
Driver

I am running a Auio control LC8 and a jl audio CLeansweep then I go into my 500/1 which has a preamp out to feed my 300/4. THe 1000/1 has the same features in and out.
Old 07-12-06, 09:29 AM
yellowssm
Lead Lap

One 12w7 = way too much bass. Two 12W7 = you are crazy. If your not in some car shows or car audio competitions that much bass is not needed. For normal everyday music, my ONE JL audio 12w3v3 is PLENTY, and its only running off one channel from a JL 300/2. Dont get me wrong I love bass just as much as anycar audio guy but when I had 1 JL 12w7 it was too much, then I went down to 1 JL 12w6 and it was still too much. I am very happy with JL's new 12w3v3. Also on another note after your done with 2 w7's, amps, wiring, dynamat (you gonna need it with 2 w7's) and all that you will probably have 200+ more punds of extra weight that will slow the car down
Old 07-12-06, 10:51 AM
sizzlingde
Driver School Candidate

yeah I know it's too loud for this car..but I don't want to sell it......it was in my bmw...but for now it's just sitting in my garage and I see it everyday...so I wanna use it....I'm gonna be building a fiberglass box and keeping it really tight so I don't load my car with extra weight......
and CMUSIC your system overview thread's awesome THANKS A LOT FOR THE HELP
Old 07-12-06, 10:20 PM
blk06is350
Rookie

you'r is alternator won't like you very much if you put the 1000/1 in it.
Old 07-19-06, 06:19 PM
sizzlingde
Driver School Candidate

hey this is for cmusic...I wanted to send you a pm..but didn't have your permission.....I wanted to ask a couple of things since you've already installed the system in your is.....1-...if I use the lc8 can I use the same wires for running the speakers from my amp?....and does lc8 have channel for the sub??...I'm just not sure how would I'll be able to run my 1000/1 for the subs?....just to let you know I've installed a few systems in my bmw and acura.....and I make my own custom fiberglass boxes...so I have some what idea about the systems......and I was thinking about putting 2 jl w7 in my trunk right behind the rear seat......should the sub face towards the rear seat...or away from it....would that make a difference?
thanks
Old 07-19-06, 06:46 PM
cmusic
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sizzlingde
hey this is for cmusic...I wanted to send you a pm..but didn't have your permission.....
I don't mind PMs.

I wanted to ask a couple of things since you've already installed the system in your is.....1-...if I use the lc8 can I use the same wires for running the speakers from my amp?....
You can run new speaker wires back to the factory speaker wiring only if you completely cut the factory speaker wires away from the factory amp. In my car I simply tapped, but not cut, on to the factory speaker wires coming from the amp to go to my LC8. In your case the factory speaker wires coming from the amp would have to be cut. The side of the factory speaker wiring coming out of the amp would go to the LC8 and the other side of the factory speaker wiring would be connected to the new speaker wires coming from your JL amp.

and does lc8 have channel for the sub??...
The LC8 has four channels that can be used to convert any signal. But on the 4th channel it has a remote level control that can be mounted up front. In the manual it suggest it should be used for the sub. I have my LC8 with the optional remote volume control up for sale if your interested. If you are PM me.

I'm just not sure how would I'll be able to run my 1000/1 for the subs?....
I would run the mid/high factory speaker wires ;

Front left+ is light blue, front left - is orange
Front right + is black, front right - is gray

and the midbass (woofer) wires;

Front left+ is white, front left - is red
Front right + is brown, front right - is pink

to the first two channels on the LC8 and set the summing switch (which is inside of the LC8) to combine them together into one full range RCA output going to your JL 300/4. Use the crossover on the 300/4 set to highpass around 50 Hz or so to keep the dangerous low bass out of the front speakers.

Then I would run the four factory sub wires;

brown (+) / green (-) and pink (+) and light blue (-)

to the fourth LC8 input. Then from the 4th LC8 output run RCAs to the JL 1000/1. Use the LC8's remote level control to adjust the sub volume from the front. (You will have to run a wire [actually a telephone cable] up front for the level control.)

just to let you know I've installed a few systems in my bmw and acura.....and I make my own custom fiberglass boxes...so I have some what idea about the systems......and I was thinking about putting 2 jl w7 in my trunk right behind the rear seat......should the sub face towards the rear seat...or away from it....would that make a difference?
I've found out that facing the subs towards the back of the car masks some of the upper bass that should be heard from the front of the car from the door speakers. I run my 10" sub towards the back of the car and really like it.

thanks
Glad to help.