IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Totaled?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-06, 01:01 PM
is4me2
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Sorry to hear about your accident! I can't tell you how many near misses I've had like that. You look down for a second and some numscull (sp?) in front of you decides to make a quick turn.

That is one reason to get the Nav Hack. Nav Hack prevents accident!!!!!

The good news whether or not they total the car is that it is leased. If they fix it, at least you'll be able to turn it back in after the lease and not have to try and sell the car on your own.

Keep us posted.
Old 07-13-06, 01:06 PM
mort
Lead Lap

I am sincerely sorry...
Old 07-13-06, 01:17 PM
nixietink
Rookie

Originally Posted by mort
I am sincerely sorry...
I appreciate it And I appreciate everyone's concern and sympathy instead of getting mad and calling me a horrible driver.
Old 07-13-06, 01:20 PM
jewel
Lead Lap

if i saw a wrecked is350 while driving around I'd cry
Old 07-13-06, 01:22 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by nixietink
I do have to agree with that. Why don't they display the number? You would think my situation would occur often..and that it would be safer TO display the number than to not. I can think of many I've searched for my phone due to a number not being displayed (although obviously none ended like this).
Ball is in your court -- please do let Lexus know that their supposed "safety feature" was the proximate cause of your accident.

One other question: how did the front fender get shredded so badly? I'd have expected it to crumple, but it looks like it actually shredded.
Old 07-13-06, 01:23 PM
nixietink
Rookie

Originally Posted by jewel
if i saw a wrecked is350 while driving around I'd cry
Trust me, there were plenty of tears
Old 07-13-06, 01:26 PM
jewel
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bichon
Ball is in your court -- please do let Lexus know that their supposed "safety feature" was the proximate cause of your accident.

One other question: how did the front fender get shredded so badly? I'd have expected it to crumple, but it looks like it actually shredded.
Old 07-13-06, 01:28 PM
nixietink
Rookie

Originally Posted by Bichon

I hit the other car (Chevy Blazer) in the rear driver side..then that car proceeded to move into the middle of the street and I went up the curb and into bushes. I have no idea how it shredded like it did..
Old 07-13-06, 01:30 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I appreciate it And I appreciate everyone's concern and sympathy instead of getting mad and calling me a horrible driver.
Hey, crap happens. Unfortunately, it happened to you on your IS.

I can only imagine what would happen if I get into an accident and the first thing people say is about how bad I drive, even if they didn't know the whole story. Let the rumors spread but deal with the reality. Take care of yourself first and then the car -- the car can get fixed or you'll get a new one...
Old 07-13-06, 01:31 PM
CoasterG
Lead Lap

Believe me its better to walk away fine and trash the car. So I'm glad to hear that your fine.

And since its a lease, your even better off - if they decide to fix it, make sure its fixed correctly and enjoy it until the lease ends. If they total it for some reason then enjoy getting a new IS350.
Old 07-13-06, 02:05 PM
dong888
Pole Position

I think OP was asking our opinions if the car is totaled or not, so here is my opion.

The car itself is 40K+ and the insurance company will only totaled the car if the repair is not within 85% (this number varies - depending on the company) of the car value. This means that the repair has to cost more than $34000. From the pictures provided, it looks like the frames are still intact. The only replacement are the hood, fender, airbags, windshield, headlight case, and whatever is damaged under the hood. My guess is that the car WILL NOT be totaled. If you got hit from the side (by the doors), it will be most likely totaled since the frame is destroyed and it is a safely issue that no one should repair the frame. I am sorry to bring out the bad news to you.

But the good news is that you are OKAY and the car did its job protecting you. Otherwise, if the car is still on your pocession, the sledge hammer idea may be good.

Good luck with the insurance company.
Old 07-13-06, 02:21 PM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

To be honest that doesn't look too bad. A good bodyshop should have that as good as new again within about a month. Generally an insurance company will only write off a car if the repair exceed about 50% of its value. The front end crash structure of the IS is not that expensive and is designed for easy replacement to reduce insurance premiums.
Old 07-13-06, 02:23 PM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You know..I'd feel better if it was the Nav Hack..it's even worse. Phone rang, number didnt appear on NAV screen...looked for phone for, no joke, ONE second, looked up and crash...all it took was ONE second and all I thought was..."I could have killed someone" I hope everyone learns from the stupid mistake I made..I know I did..The car I hit was actually, parked w/ nobody in it..which was a blessing itself. I'm a little messed up in my shoulders. Going to the doctor today.
Good to see that you are accepting your responsibility. My friends would have blamed it on the color of their cars. No joke. They believe white is bad luck. So I bought my second white car and loving it.

I had several close calls due to distractions. I learned to just pull over for any inconveniences.

Get a thorough check up. At the end of the day, it's just a car.
Old 07-13-06, 02:39 PM
RshaoKh
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ouch... that looks bad... when my friend got rear ended his insurance company told him that it would have been totaled but it was SLIGHTLY under 30%(not exact but around there) of the cars currrent value. So if your car is around $35k then if the repairs are over about $10,500, then it's totaled. Other people are giving different %'s so I'm guessing it depends on your insurance company? His car did suffer a lot of frame damage because I had to push the door open to get out. Anyway, glad that you're ok and hope you get things settled soon.

Last edited by RshaoKh; 07-13-06 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-13-06, 02:51 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RshaoKh
Ouch... that looks bad... when my friend got rear ended his insurance company told him that it would have been totaled but it was SLIGHTLY under 30%(not exact but around there) of the cars currrent value. So if your car is around $35k then if the repairs are over about $10,500, then it's totaled. Other people are giving different %'s so I'm guessing it depends on your insurance company? His car did suffer a lot of frame damage because I had to push the door open to get out. Anyway, glad that you're ok and hope you get things settled soon.
Not calling BS but that's a great insurance company if they total at ~30%. I think it does depend on the company. I remember reading an article in c&d or r&t where they did the same to a bimmer. Blue book was just around $31K and they ended up fixing it for $28K IIRC.

Quick Reply: Totaled?