IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Totaled?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-06, 12:17 AM
nixietink
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dominant1
did'nt your collision warning sound off?
Not that I'm aware of. It all happened so fast I don't really remember anything honestly.
Old 07-14-06, 12:22 AM
nixietink
Rookie

Originally Posted by blaise
Yes, it does cover it. Sorry for your loss. A lot of you people are misinforming.
-Cars are totaled when airbags deploy
-30% of total value = total
-bla.. bla.. bla..
Most of you are tryin to help, but do just that, help. If your unsure, it just leads to more confusion. The reality is :
There are many factors that will deem a car totaled. Insurance companies would not total a brand new car that doesn't have more than 70% of damage to the cars market value. Anything higher( give or take 10-15% for diff. companies) and It is up to the insurance company and adjuster to see what would save their company money in the long run. A $3000 airbag is retail cost, not what a bodyshop or insurance company would pay. As far as damage, i would say it took a nice shot. It can 100% be fixed to pre-accident condition, with a qualified auto body shop. Ask your insurance company if they have any "direct repair" shops. This will save you time and headaches. This means that they have a close relationship with that shop and stand behind their work. Don't sign ANY "authorization of repair" (paperwork) in any body shop for ANY reason, until you know for sure that this is the place you want the car repaired. You ALWAYS can pick where u want the car repaired regardless of what some shop owners will tell you. I have personally fixed high end cars, with more extensive damage, that turned out perfect. Owners had very little or nothing at all bad to say. The auto body industry has come a long way and you would be suprised at the accuracy of the repairs. There are computers the auto tech uses, that will tell by the millimeter, how badly a car is damaged. In the right persons hands you would never know the car was hit before. Most people get scared off about things they know nothing about. It's easier to say hell no, no way, i'd never want it back and so on. As far as value of the car after it is fixed ....who cares, it's a lease and it's going back after the term is up.
Thank you for your words..now I'm VERY glad I leased the vehicle since this unfortunate incident. Also, I believe with Mercury insurance it's 80% the cost of the vehicle before it's deemed totaled. I'm pretty sure they'll fix it. Hopefully I'll know more information tomorrow. And they did have it towed to one of their direct repair shops since they do guarentee the work.

On a happier note, if they do fix the car I had a big scratch in my hood that went all the way to the metal so at least I don't have to pay for that to be fixed? haha, trying to look at the positives here.
Old 07-14-06, 12:38 AM
Kermee
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Angry

Originally Posted by nixietink
You know..I'd feel better if it was the Nav Hack..it's even worse. Phone rang, number didnt appear on NAV screen...looked for phone for, no joke, ONE second, looked up and crash...all it took was ONE second and all I thought was..."I could have killed someone" I hope everyone learns from the stupid mistake I made..I know I did..The car I hit was actually, parked w/ nobody in it..which was a blessing itself. I'm a little messed up in my shoulders. Going to the doctor today.
First things first... I'm very glad you're okay. Little messed up in your shoulders isn't too bad at all. It could of been worse.

Second thing I need to point out is I knew sooner or later someone would unfortunately have this happen to them back in December. It was one of my initial gripes that I had in the fact that Caller ID doesn't appear on the NAV screen when the car is in motion.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=24

"My gripe dealt with the fact that Caller ID does not appear on the NAV screen when the car is in motion. The average driver will now actually have to FUMBLE for the phone and look at the phone's screen to see who's calling rather than simply displaying it on the NAV screen when an incoming call is received."
Honestly, it may seem stupid but IMHO part of the blame belongs to Lexus and the "nanny". Glancing at the NAV screen and back to the road for the CID info takes much less time than FUMBLING for your phone to look at the CID. The system is Bluetooth... Of course people are going to put their phones in a less accessible area because they don't need it on them for it to work (i.e. purse).

Cheers,
Kermee

Last edited by Kermee; 07-14-06 at 12:46 AM.
Old 07-14-06, 12:44 AM
Kermee
Advanced

Lightbulb

BTW- I think you said your vehicle is leased.

If you leased through LFS/TMCC, you most likely have GAP insurance as part of your lease meaning that if the difference between your lease buyout if the car is deemed totaled is greater than what your insurance company pays for based off of KBB, the GAP insurance will cover the rest of the buyout.

This bring up a VERY important point about doing a capital cost reduction on a leased vehicle (down payment). If you put $3000 down as a cap. cost reduction for a leased vehicle and it's totalled, you're never going to get that $3000 back. GAP insurance covers what's remaining to buyout the leased vehicle. Your $3000 is already figured into the buy-out.

Cheers,
Kermee

Last edited by Kermee; 07-14-06 at 12:49 AM. Reason: Moderator doesn't even use proper grammar (Fixed typos)
Old 07-14-06, 12:50 AM
Kermee
Advanced

Originally Posted by dominant1
did'nt your collision warning sound off?
PCS is non-audible AFAIK.

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 07-14-06, 05:11 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kermee
Honestly, it may seem stupid but IMHO part of the blame belongs to Lexus and the "nanny".
Common, dude. This is a perfect example of why cell phones (integrated into the NAV, or not) shouldn't be used while driving a car. Honestly, how can you blame a carmaker for an accident caused by cell phone use? That response is soooo American.

I never answer my cell phone while I'm diving. Ever.
Old 07-14-06, 07:42 AM
Solomoan
Pole Position

Wink While "diving"

It's tough to talk under water, and those dang things don't get good reception below 500 feet!
Originally Posted by ff_
Common, dude. This is a perfect example of why cell phones (integrated into the NAV, or not) shouldn't be used while driving a car. Honestly, how can you blame a carmaker for an accident caused by cell phone use? That response is soooo American.

Old 07-14-06, 08:08 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Solomoan
It's tough to talk under water, and those dang things don't get good reception below 500 feet!
Took me a second to figure out what you meant. LOL
Old 07-14-06, 08:38 AM
nixietink
Rookie

Originally Posted by ff_

unfortunately you are the minority...but i have since joined, Just took a wrecked car and a busted up shoulder to figure it ouy
Old 07-14-06, 10:42 AM
Kermee
Advanced

Exclamation

Originally Posted by ff_

Don't get me wrong. I said part of the blame. If a car manufacturer is going to offer a hands-free Bluetooth system in a vehicle, they need to make it user-friendly. I understand Lexus' position why they chose not to display the CID information on the NAV screen when an incoming call is received when the vehicle is in motion. You want to keep both eyes on the road. However, their conclusion is severely flawed and I will guarantee you two things:

#1. The time it takes for you to glance at the CID information and back up onto the road while the vehicle is moving is MUCH LESS than glancing at the NAV screen looking at road names or directions. Granted the NAV system gives you verbal directions but in some cases when you're in unfamiliar territory, you're going to be looking and staring at the NAV screen.

#2. The entire point of having a hands-free wireless Bluetooth system is so the phone doesn't need to be readily accessible when you're in the car (e.g. leaving it in your purse, backpack, etc.) I was saying the majority of the users are going to have to end up doing the same thing that nixietink did and hunt for their phone to see who is calling them in this situation. Lexus/Toyota should of had common-sense that if they were going to implement their Bluetooth system this way, that the result of their usability testing should of shown that most of us would do the exact same thing that nixietink would of done. Look for the phone to see who's calling.

The fool-proof way Lexus could of prevented this usability issue if they are going to "hide" the CID information on the screen when an incoming call comes in and "interrupts" your NAV display by saying "INCOMING CALL" without any CID, is to basically disable incoming calls entirely. I expect common-sense from both parties in the vehicle and honestly if Lexus/Toyota did any type of usability testing on their Bluetooth system, they would of figured this out.

Let me make my position straight. I'm happy for you that you do not answer your mobile when you're driving. And yes, I've seen the studies the have shown that talking on a mobile may be just as dangerous as a sleepy or drunk driver due to inattentiveness. But I expect everyone, including the car manufacturer, to use some common-sense when implementing a system that will be available to their users. Disabling CID on a NAV screen which automatically switches to "Phone" mode when an incoming call is received is going to cause the user to glance down at the NAV screen anyway. Lexus/Toyota basically failed Usability Testing 101 and honestly shouldn't have BT integration as an option in any of their vehicles in the current manner of how it operates. There is a reason why BMW's iDrive and Audi's system behaves differently from Lexus' hands-free BT system and I've used all three extensively. Lexus' system in the matter regarded above is extremely anti-intuitive to the majority of its drivers.

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 07-14-06, 03:37 PM
gonbad
Driver School Candidate

So what is the adjuster saying?
Old 07-14-06, 06:33 PM
Ichigo
Pole Position

I LOVE the bluetooth integration, who cares if the the CID doesnt show up on the screen... Kermee's point is really more about convienence over safety. The point of the handsfree system is so that you can have both hands on the wheel while talking on the phone. Which the current system does perfectly.

So what if you cant see the caller ID, its not the end of the world if you answer the phone and dont know who it is prior to answering. There was once a time where you couldnt tell who was calling and still answered the phone. Caller ID has conditioned people to "need" to know who is calling. In all acutality, if you had just answered the phone with your steering wheel button rather than fumbling with your phone to see who was calling, Im sure you would have avoided your accident. Sure it would be nice if the CID displayed on the nav, but its definitely not a nanny-imposed safety/design flaw issue that Lexus is to be blamed for.

Think of it as a cost benefit decision, you can take your eyes off the road to check your CID OR you can answer the phone w/o taking your eyes off the road and figure out who is calling the old fashioned way by saying "hello, who is this?"

I am glad that you seem to be ok and wish you a quick recovery.
Old 07-14-06, 06:38 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Certainly not the end of the world. However I agree 100% with Kermee's point in that it simply doesn't make practical sense.
Old 07-14-06, 06:39 PM
nixietink
Rookie

Originally Posted by gonbad
So what is the adjuster saying?
Haven't heard back from the adjuster yet. Called today but she was not there

But on a happier not my shoulders are doing a little better today. Just a bad case of whiplash. If it doesn't go away, I'll go see a chiropractor.
Old 07-14-06, 07:09 PM
CaThaFeR
speshul c

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nixie i'm so sorry to hear about your car!! those pics are so saddening..brings back memories of when i was in an accident with my camry but anyway, i'm glad that you're ok!

Quick Reply: Totaled?