IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Totaled?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-06, 02:06 PM
iorchii
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nixietink
I will for sure post pics..when my brother was in an accident his car was referred to the same place and they did a wonderful job. So I have my fingers crossed. Hope it rides the same too..
i think what you should be afraid most of is how much your auto insurance will go up by?... i think it would probably be approximately 2x more than you pay right now
Old 07-19-06, 02:14 PM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by iorchii
i think what you should be afraid most of is how much your auto insurance will go up by?... i think it would probably be approximately 2x more than you pay right now
Without knowing what his situation is, I'm not sure how you can make that determination. Some insurance companies don't ding you for your first accident if your record is clean. Even ones that do, I seriously doubt that your rates would double. Again, depends on your situation, your record, your insurance company.
Old 07-19-06, 09:28 PM
nixietink
Rookie

Originally Posted by ff_
Without knowing what his situation is, I'm not sure how you can make that determination. Some insurance companies don't ding you for your first accident if your record is clean. Even ones that do, I seriously doubt that your rates would double. Again, depends on your situation, your record, your insurance company.
I have Mercury for my insurance company. I had an accident that was more than 3 years ago, so it is off of the record. No tickets, nothing...this should be the only thing on my driving record.
Old 07-19-06, 09:36 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

While I don't think your insurance rates will double, I do think they will go up, especially in a situation where you bore 100% of the fault such as the case here, and especially when a cell phone was involved. Insurance companies tend to frown upon those big time. They do look at your previous record, even if it was three years ago the accident still shows up, it's just not suppose to effect your rates after 3 years.
Old 07-20-06, 11:17 AM
nixietink
Rookie

There has been an update!!

The auto body shop just called and at closer look...they decided my car is going to be totaled. He said he had not even finished looking at the damages and it was estimated at 24k

It's a good thing...since I knew it would probably never ride or be the same. But I cannot help being very sad by the news. Hopefully I'll get myself in another IS!
Old 07-20-06, 01:51 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a good thing...since I knew it would probably never ride or be the same. But I cannot help being very sad by the news. Hopefully I'll get myself in another IS!
That’s good news, but be prepared to have your insurance company give you what the old car was worth at the time of the accident, which will be somewhat less than a brand new one. That means you don’t get a new IS unless you’re willing to make up the difference.
Old 07-20-06, 02:00 PM
gonbad
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Magellan
That’s good news, but be prepared to have your insurance company give you what the old car was worth at the time of the accident, which will be somewhat less than a brand new one. That means you don’t get a new IS unless you’re willing to make up the difference.
Hers was a lease. So what they pay for the car will only matter vs. the current lease buyout. Hopefully she has GAP protection. She won't be seeing a dime either way.

Since this was a lease she was probably better off if they fixed the car. Just return it after the lease ends and let them deal with selling it. It is the risk the leassor takes and is why he is compensated via the money factor for taking that risk.

If they total the car she will be liable for the amount the insurance company pays for the car to the lessor less the current buyout amount. If she has GAP then she will have no liability but will be out any upfront money she paid for the car i.e. cap reduction and deposits.

The best thing though is the car did its job. She walked away with minor injuries.

Good luck with the new car and keep the shiny side up.
Old 07-20-06, 02:32 PM
nixietink
Rookie

Originally Posted by gonbad
Hers was a lease. So what they pay for the car will only matter vs. the current lease buyout. Hopefully she has GAP protection. She won't be seeing a dime either way.

Since this was a lease she was probably better off if they fixed the car. Just return it after the lease ends and let them deal with selling it. It is the risk the leassor takes and is why he is compensated via the money factor for taking that risk.

If they total the car she will be liable for the amount the insurance company pays for the car to the lessor less the current buyout amount. If she has GAP then she will have no liability but will be out any upfront money she paid for the car i.e. cap reduction and deposits.

The best thing though is the car did its job. She walked away with minor injuries.

Good luck with the new car and keep the shiny side up.
I financed through Lexus so GAP was inclulded w/ my lease thank goodness. Wouldn't buy/lease a car any other way
Old 07-20-06, 04:54 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I financed through Lexus so GAP was inclulded w/ my lease thank goodness. Wouldn't buy/lease a car any other way
Now it’s only a suggestion, but to fully ****** victory from defeat here I would just rent a car for a few months until the ‘07’s come out and lease/buy a new 2IS then. If your monthly rental costs work out to be no more than your current lease payments, then you wouldn’t take a loss in car costs, and you would end up with another new IS250, and a 2007 at that.
Old 12-20-06, 03:16 PM
IronPhoenX
Pole Position

Just wondering what happened after the accident? Did your insurance go up? What car did you get after?