IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Front Liscens plate removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-06, 10:34 AM
Jay M
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Liscens plate removal

I'm having a hard time find an IS configured the way I want that doesn't already have holes drilled in the front bumper.

FYI- the car I want:
IS 350
Smoky Granite
Black interior
Nav
NO Mark Levinson
Premium package
XM

What are some options for filling those holes if I buy an IS with the front bracket already installed, but want to remove it.

Fortunately the cops in my area aren't too concerned with a missing front plate.

~Jay
Old 07-13-06, 10:38 AM
sailing217
Pole Position

Bought my 250 in PA that doesn't require a front plate, no holes, but there still are some dimples.

I debadged the back and there are the small holes, probably just like the front bumper being drilled. Check out the web for 'bumper plugs', I saw them specifically for what you are looking for on a Porsche website. $25 each if I remember, and you have to paint them yourself.

If you order it, tell them specifically you don't want the front license bracket mounted as you may be taking in out of state shortly.
Old 07-13-06, 10:50 AM
tgara
Pole Position

Does California require a front plate? If so, you may have a tough time finding a car without the front bracket (e.g., with holes already drilled). And even if you find a car without the holes, the dealership may have a policy to install the front bracket on all new cars. That's the way it was with my IS250 -- I asked the dealer not to install the front bracket, but they said they had to because my state (CT) requires a front plate, and the dealership could be held liable if you got in trouble for not having one. At least that's the story I was told.

To fill the holes, I've come up with several options. A good hardware store that sells funky fasteners may sell plastic hole caps. I painted a pair of these with touchup paint and they look pretty good when installed. Or you could paint the heads of a couple of nice stainless steel screws.
Old 07-13-06, 10:58 AM
OutlawsX
Lead Lap

CA is required to have front plate, just special order the car and ask the salesman to NOT put the front plate on when it is delivered. The dealership will drill that sucker right after the car is unloaded when they are prepping the cars.

My sales rep was fine about not drilling the FB... I told him if there were holes, I would reject the sale.
Belmont
Pole Position

That was a requirement of mine for my special order.

No holes here!
Jay M
Rookie

thanks for the quick replies.

It sounds like the plugs are the best option.

The dealer told me that they will not sell a car without the bracket mounted.

But on the other hand no Corvette will have a front plate mounted unless you specifically ask them.

No exotic car dealer would ever damage the front of a car for a liscens plate.

I guess a Lexus is just a regular car that gets no special treatment.

~Jay
Old 07-13-06, 11:11 AM
jc957
Rookie

Mine didn't have the holes when it arrived. Actually sucked when they had to add the bracket for the front tag.
Old 07-13-06, 11:28 AM
sailing217
Pole Position

Again,

Tell them you are going to move out of state shortly, and that you'll sign something that they won't be liable if that's the issue.

My PA Dealer said other people have traveled from Cleveland specifically for the bumper not being drilled. I guess Ohio requires the dealership to mount the plate.

Front plate = waste of metal
Old 07-13-06, 11:40 AM
lirandy
Pit Crew

Both of my ISs didn't come with any front license frame holes, but the dealer did required us to take the car back to them to have the front license frame put on after we get the license plate. Which dealer did you get your car from?
Old 07-13-06, 12:18 PM
flyfl1pguy

Yes CA. LAW requires you to have front license plate. When I went to go pick up the car I was wondring if they were going to drill the hole for the plates. I forgot to tell them not to drill it. Fortunately they did not drill it. They also had a paper to sign a stating front license plate reusal acknowledgement.
Old 07-13-06, 12:18 PM
conekiller
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sailing217
Bought my 250 in PA that doesn't require a front plate, no holes, but there still are some dimples.

I debadged the back and there are the small holes, probably just like the front bumper being drilled. Check out the web for 'bumper plugs', I saw them specifically for what you are looking for on a Porsche website. $25 each if I remember, and you have to paint them yourself.

If you order it, tell them specifically you don't want the front license bracket mounted as you may be taking in out of state shortly.
Plugs from bumperplugs.com come prepainted...in fact, it's pretty much plastered all over their website that they paint the things themselves.

Old 07-13-06, 12:25 PM
flyfl1pguy

WOW! Those plugs aren't that bad at all.
Old 07-13-06, 12:29 PM
lirandy
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by flyfl1pguy
WOW! Those plugs aren't that bad at all.
agree...but i'm in cali...
Old 07-13-06, 12:37 PM
conekiller
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lirandy
agree...but i'm in cali...
I'm in a front plate state too...
Old 07-13-06, 12:47 PM
Jay M
Rookie

Originally Posted by conekiller
I'm in a front plate state too...
I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but for 11 years I didn't have a front plate on my maxima. My Wife's Subaru Baja hasn't had a front plate for 2 years, and my Corvette has been fine without a front plate for 4 years.

However I did have one motor cop yell at me while I was at an intersection to put a front plate on it.

I replied that I'll see what I can do But what sucked is that the intersection he was hanging out in was the entrace to my community.

Thanks for the pic of the bumper plugs! I could definately live with those.

I don't have the car yet, I have two dealers working on a deal right now. One has the car without the front bracket, but won't give me a price, the other gave me a good price, but doesn't have the car yet, and insists on mounting the front bracket as soon as the car comes in.

~Jay

Quick Reply: Front Liscens plate removal