IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Proper Steps After Getting Rims

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-06 | 12:27 PM
Vege
Driver School Candidate

Default Proper Steps After Getting Rims

Just wondering, I think I've decided to get Volk Racing Progressive ME's in 18's and from what other people have said the Lexus TPMS should fit fine. So what exactly are the proper steps I should take to make sure I won't have the warning light on? Am I supposed to buy 4 new TPMS from Lexus then when I mount the tires, go back to Lexus to get them programmed for my car?

Thanks
Old 07-16-06 | 06:30 PM
FITYSCENTS
Rookie

Can somebody help this guy?

This is a good question
Old 07-16-06 | 06:35 PM
sashax415
Pole Position

i think you need to search...There are several different options:
Drill a hole for the tpms
Strap the old ones against the wheel
Use a wheel barrow in the trunk
Make a custom pressurized tube to trick the system
Old 07-16-06 | 06:36 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

The old ones should just go on and you should be fine. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 07-16-06 | 07:10 PM
glilly
Pole Position

I just mounted the ME's on my car last week, ...I haven't yet hit the dreaded 200mile mark to see if the light comes on (crosses fingers). But the TPMS valve stem fits fine, i just used my OEM ones, (new ones were ridiculously expensive). Also, I don't think the ME's are available in 18?

Greg
Old 07-16-06 | 07:16 PM
CaThaFeR
speshul c

when i got my wheels put on they switched my tpms over and that was it...you dont need to get a second set or go to lex to have them reset or anything...just switch em over and youre good to go
Old 07-16-06 | 07:16 PM
dajwilson
Driver

The place I bought my wheels from transferred the sensors over at no charge. I would just ask them to do it.....unless your wheels came mounted already or if you did an internet purchase
Old 07-16-06 | 08:05 PM
dfw350
Lead Lap

the TPMS sensors dont fit ALL aftermarket rims.
I think majority of them do not fit, so you have to either get custom drilling job to put the TPMS sensors in the aftermarket rims or trick the system by taking the TPMS sensors out of the OEM wheel and putting them inside a 30psi tube (wheelbarrow wheel pumped to 30PSI).

Those are so far the only ways to not get the light.
Old 07-17-06 | 06:59 AM
tgara
Pole Position

The local tire shop installed a new Dunlop SP Sport 5000M tire on the "new" rim I purchased on eBay. However, the shop could not swap the tire pressure sensor because new seals are required (or so the owner says). Seems logical to me, since a seal is needed to keep the air pressure up. Since this is a dealer item, the tire shop told me to have the dealer install the sensor.

I should also add that now the dumb warning light is on for the tire pressures, since I'm missing one whole sensor. I swear, this system is a PITA!
Old 07-17-06 | 07:04 AM
glilly
Pole Position

new seals? sounds like he was being lazy. I'd go back and demand to have them swapped. No one else has had any problems (as long as the TPMS sensor will fit the new wheel)

I'd go so far to say, most aftermarket wheels will accept the TPMS sensors, it's only the high-end 2 and 3 piece wheels that seem to have the most problems with the TPMS fitment. I haven't yet seen a one piece wheel that wouldn't fit the sensor.

Greg
Old 07-17-06 | 07:12 AM
CaThaFeR
speshul c

Originally Posted by glilly
new seals? sounds like he was being lazy. I'd go back and demand to have them swapped. No one else has had any problems (as long as the TPMS sensor will fit the new wheel)

I'd go so far to say, most aftermarket wheels will accept the TPMS sensors, it's only the high-end 2 and 3 piece wheels that seem to have the most problems with the TPMS fitment. I haven't yet seen a one piece wheel that wouldn't fit the sensor.

Greg
i agree..i think they were just being lazy..i havent had any problems with losing air pressure or anything since i had my new wheels put on in feb. .. my shop actually already had my new setup mounted when i got there becuase they forgot about the sensors...they had no problem dismounting them, taking the sensors out of the stock wheels, switching them over and remounting the new setup..only took about an hour to do all that
Old 07-17-06 | 07:15 AM
tgara
Pole Position

Originally Posted by glilly

Greg
Yeah, I think you are correct. The guy was being lazy. From what I'm reading here, and in talking with other tire shops, the swap of the pressure sensor is straightforward once the tire is off the wheel. And for seals, one tire shop I talked to this morning says the will replace those for me -- I do not need special seals from Lexus like the other tire bozo said I would.

Thanks for the input guys.
Old 07-17-06 | 12:24 PM
IS350JY
Driver School Candidate

I just had my rims put on a few days ago and they did it for me with no problem. I watched them, all they did was deflate my old tires and pulled the tire back and pulled the sensor out that is connected to the valve stem and put them in the new wheels and then just replaced them with rubber valve stems to keep my old wheels in working condition in case i ever needed them again. But it looked real easy when i was watching them and it only took them about 10 minutes to change all four sensors from my old wheels to my new ones.