IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lighting mods

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-08 | 01:37 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AznJason
Anyone know of a DE3022 trunk light that doesn't require bending the clips? Every 3022 bulb I see is 31mm x 10mm. The bulb from the trunk is more like 28mm x 7.5mm.
lol just bend the clips
Old 04-11-08 | 07:11 PM
Rividsoul
Rookie

Arg... i just tried to swap some 11 SMT Vleds into the mirror light housing and it won't fit! I can't turn it back in... Can anyone suggest any bulbs that will fit?
Old 04-11-08 | 07:12 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

5SMT would work and it is bright as hell... 11 SMT just too bulky...but it will fit the parking lights tho...
Old 04-11-08 | 07:14 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rividsoul
Arg... i just tried to swap some 11 SMT Vleds into the mirror light housing and it won't fit! I can't turn it back in... Can anyone suggest any bulbs that will fit?
i use the 194 hi-power and i installed the 194 flank in weespeds.
Old 04-11-08 | 07:58 PM
Rividsoul
Rookie

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
i use the 194 hi-power and i installed the 194 flank in weespeds.
Which one would you recommend? (from VLED)
-HID WHITE HIGH POWER LICENSE PLATE LED BULB 194 168 158
-2 SUPER HID WHITE 4 LED WEDGE BASE 194 158 168
-2 SMT HIGH POWER HID WHITE LED LIGHT BULBS 194 168 158

I guess for anyone new who's considering the mirror light mod, be aware of the size! It's quite a shallow housing. I had to learn the hard way... I think i probably damaged the 11SMT as well kuz i was jamming it in
Old 04-11-08 | 08:28 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Which one would you recommend? (from VLED)
-HID WHITE HIGH POWER LICENSE PLATE LED BULB 194 168 158
-2 SUPER HID WHITE 4 LED WEDGE BASE 194 158 168
-2 SMT HIGH POWER HID WHITE LED LIGHT BULBS 194 168 158

I guess for anyone new who's considering the mirror light mod, be aware of the size! It's quite a shallow housing. I had to learn the hard way... I think i probably damaged the 11SMT as well kuz i was jamming it in
i would recomend, because i have xp with both.

This
http://www.v-leds.com/Shop/Control/P...id/0/SFV/32481

OR *go with these thou* (get one pair of these for your vanity mirror lites too)

both work great. i havent tried a 5smt bulb in the puddle mirrors... even thou i have a set sitting on my desk (im sure the 5smt would be fabulous too)

Last edited by llamaboiz; 04-11-08 at 08:31 PM.
Old 04-11-08 | 09:06 PM
timucla
Driver

This

OR *go with these thou* (get one pair of these for your vanity mirror lites too)

both work great. i havent tried a 5smt bulb in the puddle mirrors... even thou i have a set sitting on my desk (im sure the 5smt would be fabulous too)
Ditto on those flank bulbs for the vanity. They're also perfect for the doors matched with the clear lens covers. I use 3 of those hi-powers for my front dome.
Old 04-11-08 | 09:18 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by timucla
Ditto on those flank bulbs for the vanity. They're also perfect for the doors matched with the clear lens covers. I use 3 of those hi-powers for my front dome.
yep exactly... course my middle one is blue
Old 04-11-08 | 10:28 PM
Jay.Diem
Pole Position

here are polargs high power SMT LEd's....

Old 04-12-08 | 11:33 PM
Rividsoul
Rookie

This

Hey Llama, (or anyone who's done quite a bit of lighting mods)
Would you be able to list the numerous lighting mods in terms of difficulty? I'm an accountant for a living and have 0 expertise in taking apart/ putting things together. I've given up on every gundam i've ever attempted...

So far i've only done the front parking light and took apart the passenger side mirror. I found both fairly difficult. Took me 2 hrs for the parking lights and 1 hr for one side mirror. Would the reverse light's hard to do? Maybe you can PM me on what LEDs you've used from the Vled site.

thanks,
Old 05-01-08 | 12:32 AM
AndyKhiem
Driver School Candidate

Default Puddle Lights Problem

Sorry, decided to reply to this huge mass of a thread instead of starting the same redundant posts over and over again. I recently purchased one of these from v-leds:

(V-LEDS HID WHITE M-SMT FLANK BULBS 194) for my puddle lights.

It's a wedge type bulb so only one side will shine. However, upon installation I've found out that the side with the lights will not turn on if it's placed faced down (towards the floor). It will turn on if placed facing up, but you lose most if not all the light. So my question:

A. Is their a way to change the + - sides of the light bulb or socket to make it work "correctly?"

or

B. If not, does anyone have any experience with some bright bright lights that are wedge 194s (or fit vanity mirrors as well)?

I ended up installing them on my doors with clear lens cover and my god they are bright. I fell in love with them. It's a shame they don't work with puddle/vanity (or maybe they do?). Any replies, help, comments would be most appreciated.

P.S. Thank-you so much to all the D.I.Y guides and replies out there. Without them I would never have the nerve nor know how to "beautify" my "Alexia."
Old 05-01-08 | 12:56 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Hey Llama, (or anyone who's done quite a bit of lighting mods)....
tell you what PM me. i have a list already made on a file just for this type of instances. As for difficulty... this is 'subjective'... sorry.

Originally Posted by AndyKhiem
Sorry, decided to reply to this huge mass of a thread instead of starting the same redundant posts over and over again. I recently purchased one of these from v-leds:

(V-LEDS HID WHITE M-SMT FLANK BULBS 194) for my puddle lights.

It's a wedge type bulb so only one side will shine. However, upon installation I've found out that the side with the lights will not turn on if it's placed faced down (towards the floor). It will turn on if placed facing up, but you lose most if not all the light. So my question:

A. Is their a way to change the + - sides of the light bulb or socket to make it work "correctly?"

or

B. If not, does anyone have any experience with some bright bright lights that are wedge 194s (or fit vanity mirrors as well)?

I ended up installing them on my doors with clear lens cover and my god they are bright. I fell in love with them. It's a shame they don't work with puddle/vanity (or maybe they do?). Any replies, help, comments would be most appreciated.

P.S. Thank-you so much to all the D.I.Y guides and replies out there. Without them I would never have the nerve nor know how to "beautify" my "Alexia."
Ok as for polarity... thing is:

1. when you pluged them into the puddle mirrors, did you lock the doors, walk away from the car/then come back and check?

2. did you try swapping sides of the cars, if it didnt work on the right did you try it in the left?

3. Yes you can reverse polarity of the plug harness itself, just cut and splice the wires around.

lastly... i've never had problems with the flank bulbs and polarity, you posted a 'new' bulb... thing is 'new' bulbs come out soooo fast nowdays...
Old 05-01-08 | 01:10 AM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

llama...which led do you recommend that will fill the Parking Light nicely?
Old 05-01-08 | 01:32 AM
2slow
Lexus Champion

SMT would be a nice choice. Depending on your preference, there are 5 SMT,9 SMT, 13 SMT, etc. The number is how many LEDs are on the bulb.
Old 05-01-08 | 01:34 AM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

i cant find the 5 smt led anymore on v-leds.com...