IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lighting mods

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-08, 06:49 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

oh well i think i'll keep the same setup. i am already spending too much on lights, gotta get my lip and new shoes.
Old 07-23-08, 09:12 PM
w1ck3d64
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
i would suggest vleds 194 flank bulbs for the mirror puddles/vanity mirror/clear doors
just ordered the blue flanks for the door courtesy light
Old 07-24-08, 06:35 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

dont forget the clear lense
Old 07-24-08, 07:01 AM
venZon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great write up! I'll have to order up some bulbs and do this soon.
Old 07-24-08, 07:12 AM
w1ck3d64
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Evil Teo
dont forget the clear lense
ya haha...i wonder how much they charge @ Don Valley North Toyota :S
Old 07-24-08, 12:49 PM
w1ck3d64
Lead Lap

ok anyone who lives in toronto and wants to get those clear courtesy door lenses...don't they are like $23.10 EACH before tax much better off ordering from luxurymotorworks

anyways i have a question about the side mirrors...it doesn't seem to be on as tight after i ripped it out to replace the puddle lamps...i think it's that sticky stuff behind the mirror...anyone else have this problem? anyone know how to correct this?

thanks!
Old 07-24-08, 01:08 PM
andyboy
Lead Lap

still thinking about doing this but I don't know yet
Old 07-24-08, 01:30 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by w1ck3d64
anyways i have a question about the side mirrors...it doesn't seem to be on as tight after i ripped it out to replace the puddle lamps...i think it's that sticky stuff behind the mirror...anyone else have this problem? anyone know how to correct this?

thanks!
dont worry about this, i've done my mirror puddles 3times/countless club members cars and havent had any problems of 'looseness', as long as you snap the mirror on it'll be fine
Old 07-24-08, 01:31 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

i always thought the black hooks at the side with the sticky stuff was suppose to hook to something when i first removed it, but if that was the case u can't really move the mirror left to right. i agree with u that its not as tight as before you removed it. but like llama said no problems so far.
Old 07-24-08, 05:42 PM
w1ck3d64
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Evil Teo
i always thought the black hooks at the side with the sticky stuff was suppose to hook to something when i first removed it, but if that was the case u can't really move the mirror left to right. i agree with u that its not as tight as before you removed it. but like llama said no problems so far.
ya it was really shaky before...making the side mirrors kinda useless...i just removed the mirror again and made sure it was on again...man that thing is hard to snap back on...

for all trying this...the bottom two clips are hard to snap back on...just give it a good ol' push
Old 07-24-08, 08:42 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

i got it in i just did my drl but the light dont come on, when i turn on the high beams it turns on. i'll try it again tomorrow, maybe it was gettin too late so it wont turn on. sorry for the pic but its from my phone.
Attached Thumbnails Lighting mods-img00085.jpg  
Old 07-24-08, 10:09 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

drl wont turn on unless you start the car and take off the parking brake, if you turn on your lowbeams it wont turn on either, the idea behind led drl is how it looks in the day with the lights off not at night cuz then it wouldnt be called a daytime running light
Old 07-26-08, 12:06 PM
jazba
Rookie

so after reading way too many LED posts, and realizing that v-led has changed there website from frickinbrite.com so all of the links that you guys posted about your leds are obsolete, i have a headache lol.

Can some summarize which 194 bulbs should be used for front dome/puddle and what festoons should be used for the rear from v-leds.com?

Thanks
Old 07-26-08, 12:14 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

have u become the guru of light? well the front dome u can use 194 hi power leds or 11 SMT LIGHT BULBS 194, ur gonna need 3 bulbs, the puddles u can use 194 flank bulb led and courtesy light and the vanity mirrors and puddles. if u have any questions just ask llama over there he is the guru of lights he will show u the way of the light.

Last edited by Evil Teo; 07-26-08 at 12:19 PM.
Old 07-26-08, 02:46 PM
daageep
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AndyKhiem
Sorry, decided to reply to this huge mass of a thread instead of starting the same redundant posts over and over again. I recently purchased one of these from v-leds:

http://www.v-leds.com/Shop/Control/P...id/0/SFV/32481

(V-LEDS HID WHITE M-SMT FLANK BULBS 194) for my puddle lights.

It's a wedge type bulb so only one side will shine. However, upon installation I've found out that the side with the lights will not turn on if it's placed faced down (towards the floor). It will turn on if placed facing up, but you lose most if not all the light. So my question:

A. Is their a way to change the + - sides of the light bulb or socket to make it work "correctly?"

or

B. If not, does anyone have any experience with some bright bright lights that are wedge 194s (or fit vanity mirrors as well)?

I ended up installing them on my doors with clear lens cover and my god they are bright. I fell in love with them. It's a shame they don't work with puddle/vanity (or maybe they do?). Any replies, help, comments would be most appreciated.

P.S. Thank-you so much to all the D.I.Y guides and replies out there. Without them I would never have the nerve nor know how to "beautify" my "Alexia."
Sigh. I got my lights the other day and WAS excited to install them today. I excitedly read all 40+ pages until this post (annoyingly on page 37 or something) which said that my flank bulbs' polarity are wrong! I know I can cut and splice, but I don't want to do that. They will now go into my front dome lights. Hopefully the light output is ok since they are not pointing downwards.