IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lighting mods

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-09, 08:34 AM
Limpart
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To be honest threre is no difference for me what to put Led or bulb and I don't know the difference between them. So I would like to have pretty the same color like 6500k. So what can you advise best for me?

Thanks a lot.
Old 03-21-09, 03:12 PM
PMok
Lead Lap

the difference is that if you go LED on the DRLs then you will no longer have highbeam function. if you're ok with that then get some cool white LEDs and the relay module, and those will match 6500K best.

otherwise if you're like me, get halogen bulbs and hope for the best. looks like most others who used PIAA had the Extreme White, the ones I got are Intense White which looks like a newer design and supposed to be more white.
Old 03-21-09, 04:34 PM
king889
Driver School Candidate

Default where can i buy those LED light?

where can i buy those LED light?
Old 03-21-09, 07:27 PM
Limpart
Rookie

Originally Posted by PMok
the difference is that if you go LED on the DRLs then you will no longer have highbeam function. if you're ok with that then get some cool white LEDs and the relay module, and those will match 6500K best.

otherwise if you're like me, get halogen bulbs and hope for the best. looks like most others who used PIAA had the Extreme White, the ones I got are Intense White which looks like a newer design and supposed to be more white.

what do u mean hope for the best? so what is better bullbs or led? which color is going to be with bulbs? how bulbs will look with 6500k?

tnx a lot for help!!!
Old 03-21-09, 09:46 PM
Tommy350
Lead Lap

anyone know if the side markers come in led? a nice led white(with a hint of blue)
can some post there side markers... pictures of them on l-tune arent clear.... thanks
Old 03-22-09, 12:55 AM
PMok
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Limpart
what do u mean hope for the best? so what is better bullbs or led? which color is going to be with bulbs? how bulbs will look with 6500k?

tnx a lot for help!!!
the LEDs will look better than any halogen bulb in DRL mode. as llamaboiz explained using any halogen bulb for a DRL, the lower wattage used in DRL mode means the light coming from the halogen won't be at full power, and so it tends to be yellowish and therefore not that much of an improvement over the stock bulbs look. When you turn on highbeams that's when the bulb gets full power and then it will look nice and white. But I'm hoping that these Intense White bulbs which are bigger and a newer design, will look more white even at low power. I haven't received them yet but will try to take pics when I get them in... probably next week. If all you care about is looks not function and having the colors match best then go with LEDs.
Old 03-22-09, 01:32 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

tnx a lot for help!!!
it appears you're confused and you need to learn what is the right questions to ask first... answer these question first:

1. do you use your hibeams on a regular basis?

2. what are you trying to match? the drl? the hibeam?

one bit advise, read this entire thread, it will explain just about everything
Old 03-22-09, 10:02 AM
Limpart
Rookie

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
it appears you're confused and you need to learn what is the right questions to ask first... answer these question first:

1. do you use your hibeams on a regular basis?

2. what are you trying to match? the drl? the hibeam?

one bit advise, read this entire thread, it will explain just about everything
i have 6500k low beams and fogs, I wrote it before. So asked many times only one question. Which one is better will look with my low beams and fogs? I want DRL looks the same color like 6500k.

thnx
Old 03-22-09, 10:11 AM
Limpart
Rookie

But I can't understand if you go with Leds in DRL why it makes hibeam useless?
Highbeams stops to work at all?
Old 03-22-09, 11:26 AM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But I can't understand if you go with Leds in DRL why it makes hibeam useless?
Highbeams stops to work at all?
DRL's are Highbeams at half power

LEDs don't change intensity when you use it at half power or full power really.
Meaning they will be decently bright when they're on as DRL, but won't get to the brightness intensity that a normal bulb would go to when it's used as a HighBeam.
Old 03-22-09, 12:56 PM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was curious, anyone try Sylvania SilverStar Ultras 9005 for DRL/HiBeams. Is there a noticeable difference?

Updated:
I just bit the bullet and bought these too. Spent $105 on 4 bulbs this weekend!
It is noticeably whiter up close, but probably from far away not so much. High Beams are definitely brighter and whiter, so that is good. Just hoping now that I can get DRL's disabled somehow and keep high beams.

Last edited by JDKane527; 03-22-09 at 05:44 PM.
Old 03-22-09, 07:12 PM
Limpart
Rookie

Originally Posted by stonefan52
DRL's are Highbeams at half power

LEDs don't change intensity when you use it at half power or full power really.
Meaning they will be decently bright when they're on as DRL, but won't get to the brightness intensity that a normal bulb would go to when it's used as a HighBeam.
Thx finnaly I got it! So which bulbs are the best, I mean which of them give more white or blue to match my 6500k or with bulbs it's impossible to match this color?
Old 03-22-09, 07:13 PM
PMok
Lead Lap

i have 6500k low beams and fogs, I wrote it before. So asked many times only one question. Which one is better will look with my low beams and fogs? I want DRL looks the same color like 6500k.

thnx
seriously, I think you need to read more of this thread if you really want to understand... but I've already answered your question. I'll say it again one more time.

If all you care about is matching your DRL to 6500K, then go with the LEDs and live without the highbeam. The links to what kind you should buy is discussed throughout this thread.

If you care about highbeam, then you need to stick with halogen 9005 bulbs.
Old 03-22-09, 07:39 PM
acefalcon2
Lexus Champion

there is literally no way to match 6500k HID on ur Halogen DRL... while in day time... matching highs... maybe
Old 03-22-09, 09:24 PM
Tommy350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Tommy350
anyone know if the side markers come in led? a nice led white(with a hint of blue)
can some post there side markers... pictures of them on l-tune arent clear.... thanks
also.... does the bmw side markers work on our cars? it should correct? because there isnt wiring for side markers right? so it would and should work find? they have led bmw side markers(reason for my question) ....

pics and answers please... thanks