IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lighting mods

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-09, 10:21 PM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy350
also.... does the bmw side markers work on our cars? it should correct? because there isnt wiring for side markers right? so it would and should work find? they have led bmw side markers(reason for my question) ....

pics and answers please... thanks
You can mount them, but for led's, most of them look to come with some kind of halogen bulb, so you could probably just order it on vled for the size.
Old 03-23-09, 01:53 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stonefan52
I was curious, anyone try Sylvania SilverStar Ultras 9005 for DRL/HiBeams. Is there a noticeable difference?

Updated:
I just bit the bullet and bought these too. Spent $105 on 4 bulbs this weekend!
It is noticeably whiter up close, but probably from far away not so much. High Beams are definitely brighter and whiter, so that is good. Just hoping now that I can get DRL's disabled somehow and keep high beams.
i have the sylvania silverstar ultras for my highbeams with DRl's turned off. that and 6000K low beams and 6000K hid fogs.
Old 03-23-09, 04:08 AM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I want a white DRL and still have my high beams. I dont care if it matches or not.... sooo any recommendations?
Old 03-23-09, 09:35 AM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by iKenn
I want a white DRL and still have my high beams. I dont care if it matches or not.... sooo any recommendations?
You can have an overwhelmingly bright LED in the parking bulb and that should make it fairly white. haha
High Beams just get Sylvania SilverStar Ultras, best performance/quality bulbs for the money, at $50 a pair.
Old 03-23-09, 08:27 PM
Limpart
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can have an overwhelmingly bright LED in the parking bulb and that should make it fairly white. haha
High Beams just get Sylvania SilverStar Ultras, best performance/quality bulbs for the money, at $50 a pair.
So where is best place to buy? How many pairs I need? For how long each pair can I use? Thnx
Old 03-23-09, 10:29 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i bought my silverstars from amazon.com no tax and free two day shipping. for your drl/highbeams you only need one pair.
Old 03-25-09, 11:17 AM
PMok
Lead Lap

So my LEDs and PIAAs came in... finished installing everything last night. V-LEDs for the interior domes and parking lights, PIAA Intense White for the DRL/highbeams.

OMG the install for the DRLs and parking lights was painful! The tight space between the air filter and the bulbs on the left side was almost as bad as the windshield washer filler neck tube on the right. The directions in the owners' manual says you can unbolt the tube which I did, but don't think anybody mentioned you can just yank on the tube and pull it off, that gives you more space to work with and then it pops back on pretty easy. For me the hardest parts were working in the tight space, to get leverage on the bulbs to twist them in and out, and then making sure the back covers were put back on right. I wore thin rubber gloves to work on the car, glad I did because otherwise my hands would probably be all cut and scratched up after all the struggling around in there.

Anyways the LEDs look really good.
Unforunately as llamaboiz predicted, the PIAAs weren't much improvement if any for the DRLs running at low wattage. The bulbs are barely tinted blue at all, so they output and look pretty much like the stockers. They still look yellowish and if it was easier to change the bulbs out I'd probably take them back out and return them, but man it was such a pain, not worth my time to swap them again. The old DRL bulbs were dingy and stained brown like some other people have mentioned so it was good time for a replacement/upgrade anyways. If it bothers me enough I might someday get the DRL LEDs and say byebye to the highbeam function, but for now I'll just stick with it or drive around in the daytime with the parking lights on ... those are a pretty good match to the stock 4300K HIDs.
Old 03-25-09, 04:30 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PMok
Unforunately as llamaboiz predicted, the PIAAs weren't much improvement if any for the DRLs running at low wattage.
yea but on the up side, they must look fantastic on hibeam at nite
Old 03-25-09, 05:05 PM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

PMok, do you have big hands?
I was able to do the install fairly easy, but I have small hands. Hardest part was getting the back cover back on. The Sylvania Silverstar Ultras are probably best bulb to get DRL because they are slightly whiter, barely noticeable though above stock, and then Hi-Beam def noticeable.
Old 03-25-09, 07:41 PM
PMok
Lead Lap

PMok, do you have big hands?
I was able to do the install fairly easy, but I have small hands. Hardest part was getting the back cover back on. The Sylvania Silverstar Ultras are probably best bulb to get DRL because they are slightly whiter, barely noticeable though above stock, and then Hi-Beam def noticeable.
No, I would consider my hands pretty small ... maybe I am just not that dextrous.

I've heard mixed reviews of the Silverstars, especially wrt their bulb life so I went with what I trust, I have had good experience in the past with PIAA. I haven't really had a chance to see the highbeam in action yet, I'm about to get off work so I will get to see it soon...
Old 03-27-09, 05:04 PM
AF786
Driver School Candidate

anyone has pics on how to change the parking light bulb and fog light bulbs.
I don't want to mess up any wires and was finding it hard to figure out how to change them. thanks in advance
Old 03-27-09, 05:08 PM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AF786
anyone has pics on how to change the parking light bulb and fog light bulbs.
I don't want to mess up any wires and was finding it hard to figure out how to change them. thanks in advance
Easiest fog Light DIY Ever!!

For Parking Lights, I'll try to post some pictures/tomorrow early morning of doing it. It's the bulb next to DRL's/HiBeams. Like ace said, you just turn it while it's in the wire, don't disconnect it.
Turn it then pull out.

Last edited by JDKane527; 03-27-09 at 06:33 PM.
Old 03-27-09, 05:08 PM
acefalcon2
Lexus Champion

the parking light is straightforward just take off the plastic cover then take out the parking bulb by twisting it to the left and pull the bulb thats all... for the fog lights u can go check the DIY use the search and it's on the FAQ as well
Old 03-27-09, 06:56 PM
PMok
Lead Lap

newbie tip: for the parking lights if you replace the bulb with an LED make sure you test it and it works before you put all the covers back on. For some of the LEDs they are polarity sensitive so they won't turn on if it's wrong, and you have to flip them the other way... would suck to realize that after you put everything back together.
Old 03-28-09, 12:12 AM
PMok
Lead Lap

thought I'd update with some pics I took tonight, so people can see what the PIAA Intense White looks like, along with the LED parking lights and stock HID.

stock HIDs + fogs

stock HIDs + PIAA Intense White highbeam

stock HIDs + PIAA Intense White highbeam - looks much more intense IRL but this dark shot gives you a sense of the color (mis)match:

same, closeup

same, top view

HID + V-LEDs parking light + stock fogs