IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Anyone else curious about how much weight the IS can stand to lose?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-06, 06:40 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone else curious about how much weight the IS can stand to lose?

I've been thinking about this a lot lately, what can be removed or replaced very cheaply to reduce the weight of our cars? Things that are totally unnecessary, and are only there to add to the car's "finished look", but at the expense of performance. I was thinking that it might be a fun challenge to see how much of a diet we could put our cars on, without negatively affecting the functionality of the car.

Some obvious things:

- Remove all the plastic engine bay covers
- Remove the insulated shield from underneath the hood
- Remove the trunk mat and cargo net
- Remove the spare tire, jack, and tool set, and replace with a can of fix-a-flat
- Remove rear headrests (if not used)
- Remove any sound deadening material that isn't permanently affixed to the car

Weigh all the stuff as you're taking it out, and see what the end result/improvement is. With the removal of sound insulation material, that should help improve the engine note heard from within the car too.

Anything else?
Old 07-19-06, 07:50 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

if you are willing to risk damaging a TPMS sensor with a fix a flat can for the fuel savings go for it
Old 07-19-06, 11:08 AM
tgara
Pole Position

All the stuff you mention is there for a reason. Lexus is a luxury car brand. Quietness and luxury features are part of what the customer wants and purchases. Removing those items will drastically change the nature of the car and turn it into a Toyota. If you want a lighter car, trade your Lexus for a Corolla.

Also, do you really think Lexus has not done all it can to reduce the weight of its vehicles? Every manufacturer tries to do this because it affects gas mileage, but there is a tradeoff between features and weight. Lexus buyers want luxury features, so part of the price paid is a tad heavier vehicle.
Old 07-19-06, 11:13 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks like your list is fairly complete. I would add:
1. removing the floor mats (only in good weather though). The rears in mine are gone as I never have anyone back there.
2. drain most of your washer fluid unless you use this a lot.
3. a lightweight battery like an odyssey or optima (~$80-$120) that might save another ~10-25 lbs.
4. putting myself on a diet

On the not so inexpensive list of things that I have done or plan on doing:
1. lightweight wheels and tires (18" volk progressive spoke wheels with ps2's drop about 7-8 lbs per corner) Each lb. of unsprung rotational weight loss will actually give a much higher effective weight loss. ($3800)
2. lightweight steel or ti axle-back single muffler will help reduce another 30-35 lbs. (stock weighs 40 lbs.) ($300-$800?)
3. my front bbk will probably weigh the same as stock but if/when someone offers rear 2 piece rotors (stoptech won't be offering their 2 piece aerorotors but I'm hoping project mu or dba might), that should knock another 2-3 lb's off of the rotational weight per side. ($500-$750?)

People like to spend a lot of dough on bolt-ons that may or may not help with power. Often they add weight and cancel any gains. Losing weight not only helps with acceleration, it helps with handling, braking, mpg, wear and tear, etc.
Old 07-19-06, 11:16 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tgara
Also, do you really think Lexus has not done all it can to reduce the weight of its vehicles?
As you mentioned, everything has a compromise/trade-off associated with it. They put on heavy, cast wheels that weigh 24-25 lbs. They could have put on forged wheels that weigh 18-19 lbs but that would cut into the bottom line. Tanabe's exhaust is half the weight of the stock axle-back. etc.
Old 07-19-06, 11:28 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by al503
People like to spend a lot of dough on bolt-ons that may or may not help with power. Often they add weight and cancel any gains.
I'm starting to see that this is the mindset here on this forum. Appearance takes precedence over all else. Which is the complete opposite of my way of thinking. I actually care about how the car feels, how it handles, how it brakes and accelerates. I couldn't care less if there is too much gap between the wheels and the fenders. Or if I can rest a dollar bill on the lip of my wheels

I didn't think about the lightweight battery. That's a good suggestion. Going lighter there will also lower the COG, every-so-slightly.

All the stuff you mention is there for a reason. Lexus is a luxury car brand. Quietness and luxury features are part of what the customer wants and purchases. Removing those items will drastically change the nature of the car and turn it into a Toyota. If you want a lighter car, trade your Lexus for a Corolla.

Also, do you really think Lexus has not done all it can to reduce the weight of its vehicles? Every manufacturer tries to do this because it affects gas mileage, but there is a tradeoff between features and weight. Lexus buyers want luxury features, so part of the price paid is a tad heavier vehicle.
No offense, but that's about the dumbest post I've read in a long time. If Lexus (or BMW, or MB, or...) was concerned about the weight of their vehicles, they'd stop adding all the garbage electronic gadgets, and all the sound deadening material, and the insanely heavy wheels. They're adding that stuff because that's what sells. To a great extent, the curb weight of their cars is low on the list of the designer's concerns.
And removing those items do not change the car into a Toyota. Removing those items make the car lighter, which equates to better handling, better acceleration, better braking. If anything, it moves the car one step closer to being a true sporty sedan.
Old 07-19-06, 11:41 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ff_
I didn't think about the lightweight battery. That's a good suggestion. Going lighter there will also lower the COG, every-so-slightly.
It will also help with the front/rear weight bias.

'Weight is the Enemy'

I saw an article in one of the rags about this perhaps 10-15 years ago. They had a picture of a suspension arm or something where someone had drilled holes into it for weight loss. Each hole probably yielded a few ounces at most but every little bit helps.

With that said, I'll be adding 4-5 lbs of dynamat in the front foot wells and firewall to cut some of the road noise from the front tires. I want it as fast and agile as possible but it's also my daily driver.
Old 07-19-06, 11:44 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

drilling holes in suspension arms is a very bad idea
Old 07-19-06, 11:46 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
- Remove the insulated shield from underneath the hood
IIRC, thats there in case of a fire. It will drop down, and suppress flames from potentially causing further damage. I've also noticed, that on some older cars, that the removal of this also causes the underhood paint to yellow from heat.

- Remove the spare tire, jack, and tool set, and replace with a can of fix-a-flat
What about damage to the sidewall?

I suppose I'd ask myself what the purpose of the car is. If its going to be primarily driven on the street, then the removal of some of these items would probably cause more inconvenience, than it would contribute to performance.
Old 07-19-06, 11:48 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
drilling holes in suspension arms is a very bad idea
I was using that example to illustrate a point. If there's anyone else out there that thought it was a suggestion, please don't try this at home.
Old 07-19-06, 12:09 PM
tgara
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ff_
No offense, but that's about the dumbest post I've read in a long time. If Lexus (or BMW, or MB, or...) was concerned about the weight of their vehicles, they'd stop adding all the garbage electronic gadgets, and all the sound deadening material, and the insanely heavy wheels.
Dude, what planet are you on? Every manufacturer is concerned about vehicle weight. Why? Because it affects gasoline mileage. Ever heard of Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) standards? Cars from a manufacturer have to get a certain MPG or else they get penalized -- ya know, gas guzzler tax. This is why there was a big move in the 1980s to replace metal trim parts with plastic -- big weight savings and improvement in gas mileage.

They're adding that stuff because that's what sells.
Exactly. It sells because that's what buyers want. People who buy a Lexus want luxury, not some loud ricemobile with a screaming exhaust and a ride like a dumptruck.

Which is the complete opposite of my way of thinking. I actually care about how the car feels, how it handles, how it brakes and accelerates. I couldn't care less if there is too much gap between the wheels and the fenders. Or if I can rest a dollar bill on the lip of my wheels
Wow. Seems like you bought the wrong car.

I will wager you anything you like that given the demographic of Lexus buyers (and you are obviously NOT in that category judging from the above statement), a decision was made to go with more sound deadening, sophisticated electronics, cutting edge safety features, etc., because that is part of the brand personality, and that Lexus buyers wanted and were willing to pay for them. Go ahead and take parts off your car if you want, but if you want a lighter vehicle, it may be easier to sell your Lexus and get a Kia.
Old 07-19-06, 12:24 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

I had a yellow top optima battery, it was anything but light. Maybe the red tops are different???

As far as looks vs performance debate. There is nothing wrong with either one. My previous car I went with performance in mind. I'm going for looks this time around. I've decided that I like getting compliments on my car, rather than speeding tickets because of my car.
Old 07-19-06, 12:31 PM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Because it affects gasoline mileage.
Which is why they give the cars taller and taller gearing, and hinder the performance by progamming in tons of throttle lag. Added more weight? Oops, time to retard the electronic throttle and stuff in a taller 6th gear...
Old 07-19-06, 12:33 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ramon
I had a yellow top optima battery, it was anything but light. Maybe the red tops are different???

As far as looks vs performance debate. There is nothing wrong with either one. My previous car I went with performance in mind. I'm going for looks this time around. I've decided that I like getting compliments on my car, rather than speeding tickets because of my car.
yellows are deep cycle and usually heavier than the reds that are starters.