IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Do you regret buying the sports package?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-06, 04:04 PM
is4me2
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by murph550
Man, I bet those aluminum pedals make it so much faster...

hahahahah, you got that right, haven't you heard the expression "PUT THE PEDAL TO THE METAL"
Old 07-20-06, 04:44 PM
rys
Pole Position

It all depends on what you want in a car.

It sounds like you are afraid that the ride may be too harsh. Honestly, I understand some of the complaints (in other threads) that the ride is harsh (people appear to be complaining about any package, not just the sport package).

I've been able to compare the IS350 Sport to a loaded Audi S4, and the handling on the Lexus doesn't come anywhere close to the Audi. The sport package (which I have), is still a little floaty and disconnected compared to real sports sedans.

Personally, I don't mind the setup, it works fine for what I want, and it meets and exceeds my expectations. I know that I could drive a car with stiffer suspension and have that trade off on ride quality, but I think Lexus has struck a good balance.

If you are concerned with ride quality, I'd recommend either the base package or the Premium package. You can always swap out the springs later.

If you are purchasing the sports package to avoid the wood paneling, that is a completely different story. The sports additions to the Lexus aren't all that bad, but they're not great either. Aluminum pedals and no interior wood wouldn't be worth the cost of the Sport package.

-Brian
Old 07-20-06, 04:49 PM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak

Originally Posted by rys
It all depends on what you want in a car.

It sounds like you are afraid that the ride may be too harsh. Honestly, I understand some of the complaints (in other threads) that the ride is harsh (people appear to be complaining about any package, not just the sport package).

I've been able to compare the IS350 Sport to a loaded Audi S4, and the handling on the Lexus doesn't come anywhere close to the Audi. The sport package (which I have), is still a little floaty and disconnected compared to real sports sedans.

Personally, I don't mind the setup, it works fine for what I want, and it meets and exceeds my expectations. I know that I could drive a car with stiffer suspension and have that trade off on ride quality, but I think Lexus has struck a good balance.

If you are concerned with ride quality, I'd recommend either the base package or the Premium package. You can always swap out the springs later.

If you are purchasing the sports package to avoid the wood paneling, that is a completely different story. The sports additions to the Lexus aren't all that bad, but they're not great either. Aluminum pedals and no interior wood wouldn't be worth the cost of the Sport package.

-Brian
I wouldn’t call the A4 anything close to a sports sedan. I came from an Sti.. that’s a sports sedan and I can honestly say that yes, the IS350 isnt as hard core as it, but damn, its just about as fun when I turn stability off and run it hard. So I disagree.
Old 07-20-06, 05:20 PM
integlikew
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well i guess the main reason i didnt take the Sport is not becuase of the ride but more the because of the interior. I liked the wood. Comming from hondas the wood was like a lexury car for me. The gray plastic wasnt much different then honda. I also like the rear sun shade and ill. door seals. I figured i could always do 1 of 2 things. Either add aftermarket springs to make it more sporty or if i wanted to keep it all stocky im sure i could find a used set of factory sport springs from someone who went even lower. So it seemed easy to me to make a sport vechile. On the other hand to make a LUX vechile i would be almost impossible to add a rear sun shade and wood trim interior. Ill door seals are easy but still a 125 or so to add. I could probley find used sport springs for that alone or double that and i gould have a good set of aftermarket springs. So bottom line i can make a sport package cheap and easy. But i cant make a luxury package.
Old 07-20-06, 08:29 PM
rys
Pole Position

Originally Posted by y2ks2k
I wouldn’t call the A4 anything close to a sports sedan. I came from an Sti.. that’s a sports sedan and I can honestly say that yes, the IS350 isnt as hard core as it, but damn, its just about as fun when I turn stability off and run it hard. So I disagree.
I didn't say A4, I said S4. That is a sports sedan.

-Brian
Old 07-20-06, 10:12 PM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deuce2
i just wished they would have came out with the "x" sports package for the 06..woulda been nice to have an airdam and different rims from everyone else...
Exactly how I feel. I figure we spend all of this extra money and hardly anyone can tell that it's a sport pkg. Only someone who knows about this car could tell that it's a sports pkg due to the interior trim and if only they have a really good eye then they can see the very subtle drop.

Overall, I'm 50/50 on whether I regret it or not. When I decided on getting this car, I really wanted HID's and the only pkgs offering HIDs were lux and sport. Between the 2, I rather go with something that lowers the height of my car so I decided on the sport. I dont' know why everyone keeps complaining about how harsh the ride is... to me, it's fine. I don't feel any bounciness or harshness whatsoever.

I kind of regret it because the drop is so subtle and I don't really care for the alum sport pedals. But then again, I don't regret it bc I got the HIDs and albeit subtle, my car still sits lower than a non-sport car.

Bottom line, make sure you do your homework before u decide on getting something that is this costly unless you don't think $3-4k is not a lot of money.
Old 07-20-06, 11:14 PM
OutlawsX
Lead Lap

The only other thing I wanted from the Luxury was the illuminated scuff plates.. which can be added to onto the Sports Package (already ordered)... so that's about it.

When it all comes down to it, ride is minimal difference. Height is minimal difference.

Big difference is the Wood or non-wood... and whether you want all the other gadgets.