IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Do you regret buying the sports package?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-06, 11:17 AM
tsitalon1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you regret buying the sports package?

Hey guys,

Kind of a repeat thread with a little more directness.

Does anyone here that has purchased a IS350 with Sport package regret getting the sport package? Do you think the luxury package would have been better?

I know the answers here will vary, especially with the local road conditions. I am saving up for one in 6 months and there is not an IS350/sport to test drive. I did drive the IS350/lux and it drove great, however, I would enjoy slightly better handeling.

My other car is a 1990 eclipse with 500hp and eibach pros and GAX shocks. It is to firm for an everyday car.

Thanks for the replies,
James
Old 07-19-06, 11:22 AM
conekiller
Lead Lap

From a ride quality standpoint...not one ****ing bit. My only regret is how chintzy the center console around the gear selector is. I hate wood interiors, but the plastic they use in the sport is about as low budget as it gets. To me the lux suspension is too disconnected and floaty.

Coming from an Audi though I've become a snob about interiors.
Old 07-19-06, 12:15 PM
antics22
Driver School Candidate

I regret it. The ride is a bit harsh for factory. It feels as though the rear of the IS is lighter and it tends to buck around. To some, this is ideal, but to me, its a bit bumpy and harsh for a Lexus.

My BMW before this had the sports package and the ride was firm, but not bumpy, and definitely not as harsh.

Agreed on the interior.... There is NO aluminum finish.. its gray plastic all around.
Old 07-19-06, 12:18 PM
is4me2
Lead Lap

Cool

Will never regret it!! Well worth the five month wait. It was hard though to wait.

It is a sports car and it needs a sports car type interior/exterior. The aluminum pedals and interior, sport tuned suspension, and lowered body give it that edge.
Old 07-19-06, 12:24 PM
antics22
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by is4me2

It is a sports car and it needs a sports car type interior/exterior. The aluminum pedals and interior, sport tuned suspension, and lowered body give it that edge.

What Aluminum interior? There is NO aluminum anywhere.

I do have to say that I am impressed with the front clearance on the IS with the sport suspension. Before with our BMW, my wife would take out the front bumper every 6 months or so with those parking blocks, but with the Lexus, no clearance issues at all.

However, I still stand with my thoughts on the ride. In fact, it got a bit embarassing when I took my mother-in-law out with the car, and she got car sick from sitting in the back.

Almost everyone that I take around that sits in the back, mention how bumpy the ride is. To the point where I question it every time I drive it.
Old 07-19-06, 12:26 PM
ff_
Lexus Champion

It's a sports car?
Old 07-19-06, 12:39 PM
OutlawsX
Lead Lap

4dr Sedan... can't really say the IS is a sports car either.

I don't regret it... wanted the interior to be Non Wood... so I had to go with the Sports Package and get all the other gadgety stuff. Kinda expensive for what you get... but I guess money, you can always make more.
Old 07-19-06, 01:16 PM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

I don't regret it, but most of my driving is on highways... The fact that the sport package can have plug-n-play illuminated scuff plates makes it even better! And I agree that the plastic-y interior finish on the sport package isn't ideal, but I still prefer it over the wood from the luxury. If you could get something like Audi's "brushed aluminum" then it would be perfect.
Old 07-19-06, 01:20 PM
mort
Lead Lap

4 door sports sedan...
Old 07-19-06, 01:23 PM
BoostCrazy
Driver

Originally Posted by antics22
What Aluminum interior? There is NO aluminum anywhere.

I do have to say that I am impressed with the front clearance on the IS with the sport suspension. Before with our BMW, my wife would take out the front bumper every 6 months or so with those parking blocks, but with the Lexus, no clearance issues at all.

However, I still stand with my thoughts on the ride. In fact, it got a bit embarassing when I took my mother-in-law out with the car, and she got car sick from sitting in the back.

Almost everyone that I take around that sits in the back, mention how bumpy the ride is. To the point where I question it every time I drive it.
I have to say I agree 100% with your throughts. I was definitely dissapointed seeing so much plastic around the shifter/console area, but likewise I'd rather not have the wood. I will deal with the bumpy ride, it sure is a LOT more harsh riding than my SC was. Then again, this car handles much much better
Old 07-19-06, 01:29 PM
deuce2
Rookie

i just wished they would have came out with the "x" sports package for the 06..woulda been nice to have an airdam and different rims from everyone else...
Old 07-19-06, 02:09 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Simple answer is this is a highly subjective matter, and no one can tell you how YOU are going to like the Sports pkg. You really need to test drive a Sports pkg IS to know. Why would you want to drop $40k+ on a new car and not be sure it's what you want ?

Couple of thoughts, did the Luxury pkg you test drove have the 18" wheels ? Are you the type to heavily mod your cars or do you prefer to stay OEM/stock ? Is there any specific equipment you need to have in your IS ? What I'm getting at is you don't have to get the Sports pkg to get better handling if you don't mind spending the $ and modding your car. If you don't need Nav, ML, memory settings, etc - you can get a base IS350 and swap out the coils, shocks, rims/tires, etc to get a better handling IS. If you're not sure, get the Luxury pkg and do the mods in phases until it gets to your liking. Worst thing for you to do is get the Sports pkg and end up regretting it.

That said, I have the Sports pkg and absolutely have NO regrets . . . YMMV
Old 07-19-06, 05:11 PM
doctorttt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my sports package period. I don't really like the wooden arm rest and stick cover. They just don't match on the IS in my opinion.
Old 07-19-06, 06:21 PM
emissivity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm satisfied with my IS350 sports pkg and ML. I've spent a lot of time researching various options and concluded this is what I want.
Old 07-20-06, 03:42 PM
murph550
Driver

Will never regret it!! Well worth the five month wait. It was hard though to wait.

Man, I bet those aluminum pedals make it so much faster...

Quick Reply: Do you regret buying the sports package?