IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

treadwear.. 140??

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-06, 10:46 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Bridgestones also weigh about 2lbs more per tire. Probably not a big deal to the average driver, but some enthusiasts may not want the add'l unsprung weight. It's also worth noting that the Michelin Pilots are another 2lbs lighter than the Dunlops, but cost quite a bit more too . . .

I believe Dunlops are now made by Goodyear, so I have faith that they will get this corrected by the time I need to replace the original tires . . .
Old 07-21-06, 10:50 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by socalJD
I believe Dunlops are now made by Goodyear, so I have faith that they will get this corrected by the time I need to replace the original tires . . .
I don't have any better opinion of Goodyear tires, than I do of Dunlops. In fact, given the choice between only those two brands, I'd buy the Dunlops.
Old 07-21-06, 11:24 AM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by meteoro
Due to the issues Lexus had with the Dunlops, they pulling to the right was mainly attributed to the tires.
The last batch of '06's came out with the re050 instead, and most dealers are replacing the dunlops with the re050.

Hence why some got Dunlops, and some got Bridgestone's. I got my Dunlops replaced with Bridgestones at my 5k service due to weak sidewalls on the dunlops (pulling to the right).

The treadwear varies from manufacturer to manufacturer...so take that number with a grain of salt.

In my first gen, I had re040's the predecessor to the re050. They also had a tread rating of 140. Even auto-x'ng at least once a month, they lasted me 20K miles.

The SO3's with a higher tread wear only lasted me 15K miles.
My IS350 came with Dunlops, and it wasn't built until late May/early June (special order). They have been flawless.
Old 07-21-06, 11:44 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ff_
I don't have any better opinion of Goodyear tires, than I do of Dunlops. In fact, given the choice between only those two brands, I'd buy the Dunlops.
LOL - go ahead and choose the Dunlops over GY, they're both made at the same factory, with the same raw materials, by the same workers . . .
Old 07-21-06, 11:51 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

LOL - go ahead and choose the Dunlops over GY, they're both made at the same factory, with the same raw materials, by the same workers . . .
Are they? Have they always been? Same materials? Same processes? If so, what's the point of maintaining an extra identity to peddle your tires?
Old 07-21-06, 11:59 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,067 Likes on 2,464 Posts

Tread compounds are closely guarded secrets, and while they may very well be made in the same facility, there is no indication they are using the same designs and same compounds.

That said, you are VERY unlikely to be able to exploit the small performance differences in premium tires while driving on a public road. If you are, please let me know where you live so I can avoid your locale.

While a second on a road course is a huge difference, on the street there are far more issues than a small difference in traction that affect tire life and performance.
Old 07-21-06, 12:01 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
I didn't think much of Goodyear either, until I put a set of Eagle F1 GS-D3 on my Audi. They were quiet, didn't tramline, rode much more comfortably than the Bridgestone S03 PP tires that preceded them (softer sidewall), without losing much in the way of handling. Cool looking tread design too. I plan to try them on the Lexus when the OEM Dunlops are toast.
Old 07-21-06, 12:21 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
I didn't think much of Goodyear either, until I put a set of Eagle F1 GS-D3 on my Audi. They were quiet, didn't tramline, rode much more comfortably than the Bridgestone S03 PP tires that preceded them (softer sidewall), without losing much in the way of handling. Cool looking tread design too. I plan to try them on the Lexus when the OEM Dunlops are toast.
GS-D3's are great. They also have very good treadlife (relatively speaking.) I probably got ~30% greater tread life out of them as I did with the PS2's. The only issue with the GS-D3' were the weight. In the sizes I'm looking for now, they weigh 2-4 lbs more per tire than the PS2's, which would defeat much of the benefit of the lightweight forged wheels I got. If you're not worried about the weight and want very good tread life, they're the way to go, period in the max perf summer tire.
Old 07-21-06, 02:35 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This may not be the place to discuss this, but I'm wondering about Avons. Specifically the Tech M550 A/S. They get the greatest writeups at Tire Rack, and the price is ... well, cheap!

Not for max performance, of course, but as an all-season tire with good wear ratings and a "performance" bias, they look pretty good. Anyone here have experience with them?
Old 07-21-06, 03:03 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ff_
Are they? Have they always been? Same materials? Same processes? If so, what's the point of maintaining an extra identity to peddle your tires?
Not exactly sure when GY acquired Dunlop, I wanna say about 5 yrs ago.
I didn't say the same processes, but definitely same RMs, same workers, same factories.
I know this because a few years ago, I contacted Dunlop to inquire about a tire's specs - the response came back from a GY CS rep, giving me the exact specs I was looking for . . . also check your OEM tire warranty card, if you got the Dunlop Sport Maxx - your warranty is from GY.
Old 07-21-06, 06:27 PM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Dunlop is now owned by GY, just like Audi is owned by VW; that doesn't mean Dunlop's tires are made by GY.
Old 07-22-06, 12:14 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jlin101
Dunlop is now owned by GY, just like Audi is owned by VW; that doesn't mean Dunlop's tires are made by GY.
Well you own an Acura Mdx, Acura is owned by Honda.
Did you know that the Pilot, Odyssey and Mdx are mfr'd at the same plant in Canada ?!?!?

Last edited by socalJD; 07-22-06 at 12:47 AM.
Old 07-22-06, 07:11 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Well you own an Acura Mdx, Acura is owned by Honda.
Did you know that the Pilot, Odyssey and Mdx are mfr'd at the same plant in Canada ?!?!?
You've just helped make my point. The Acura is decidedly a much nicer car. Nicer materials, more luxury. Even though it's built in the same factory as the Pilot, there's no evidence to prove that the two vehicles are indentical with respect to materials, parts, or even build quality or reliability.
Old 07-23-06, 02:54 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ff_
You've just helped make my point. The Acura is decidedly a much nicer car. Nicer materials, more luxury. Even though it's built in the same factory as the Pilot, there's no evidence to prove that the two vehicles are indentical with respect to materials, parts, or even build quality or reliability.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but the Mdx is NOT a 'decidedly nicer vehicle' than the Pilot. Your entire post is pure opinion, and not based on facts. Go visit the Pilot or Mdx forums. Those owners KNOW the facts. Btw, I own a Mdx - I KNOW . . .
Old 07-23-06, 08:56 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the Mdx is NOT a 'decidedly nicer vehicle' than the Pilot. Your entire post is pure opinion, and not based on facts. Go visit the Pilot or Mdx forums. Those owners KNOW the facts. Btw, I own a Mdx - I KNOW . . .
I think his point was that the Acura should be nicer, as it's intended to be the luxury line...just like a Lexus should be nicer than a Toyota. Do we have to do exhaustive research now before using a simple analogy that 99% of the people reading this thread will understand, just to avoid offending a random MDX owner?

Give me a break.

Quick Reply: treadwear.. 140??