IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Ink Stain

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-06 | 09:56 AM
Roym
Driver School Candidate

Default Ink Stain

This really sucks...............this morning when I went into the garage I noticed that a couple of items on the top shelf close to my IS were laying on the ground. My first reaction was "is the car okay". Upon inspection I discovered a small black mark on the car (Tungsten Pearl) by the front wheel well. One of the items that fell was a small black box. I guess it must have hit the car before it fell to the ground. I tried to wipe off the black ink stain with a damp cloth but that didn't work.

This has totally ruined my day since I have only had the car for two days.

Could somebody please help me out and suggest how I might be able to get rid of this mark/stain?

Would it be safe to use a tar remover?
Old 07-21-06 | 10:03 AM
S.F.IS350
Rookie

Default East

Just Use Some Auto Throttle Spray It Will Remove Everything All The Way
To The Clear Coat
Just Remember To Wax Afterwars
Old 07-21-06 | 10:06 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

if it's just on the surface and didn't dig into the paint, it'll be fine. Go to a detailer, who will be able to buff it out or you can go to the local auto supply place and pick up some Scratch-X by Meguiars. You should be able to buff off the ink by hand pretty easily.
Old 07-21-06 | 11:04 AM
tgara
Pole Position

Any paint cleaner should be able to take out the ink stain. Meguiar's Scratch-X is a good choice. Meguairs also makes a consumer paint cleaner ("Step 1") as part of a 3-step finish care system, which should also work. You should be able to easily find these products at any auto parts store. Be sure to put a little wax on the area after you've cleaned it.
Old 07-21-06 | 11:22 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

When you said ink stain, I thought you were going to ask about getting ball point pen ink off of the upholstery. You didn't, but for others that might have this problem some day, let me share my secret: hair spray. The cheap kind, from the drug store. Test on an inconspicuous place first to make sure it doesn't harm the leather, but it did a miraculous job removing a huge stain from the leather on my Audi when a ball pen broke in my pocket.
Old 07-21-06 | 01:06 PM
tgara
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bichon
When you said ink stain, I thought you were going to ask about getting ball point pen ink off of the upholstery. You didn't, but for others that might have this problem some day, let me share my secret: hair spray. The cheap kind, from the drug store. Test on an inconspicuous place first to make sure it doesn't harm the leather, but it did a miraculous job removing a huge stain from the leather on my Audi when a ball pen broke in my pocket.
Quite right. Simple chemistry here. Organic solvents in the hairspray dissolve the organics in the ink. Good tip for those without any jugs of cyclohexanone lying around!
Old 07-21-06 | 05:47 PM
Roym
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all for your input. I appreciate the help!