IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Which is a better car OVERALL?
Lexus IS350
88.15%
BMW 330i
11.85%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Lexus IS350 vs. BMW 330i

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-06, 08:04 AM
IS350JY
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The is350 haswaybetter steaing then the 330i. I dorve my IS and then i drove my friends 330 and it felt like awork out comparted to te lexus. The lexus wheels turns like nothing and is assmooth as can be.
Old 07-23-06, 08:37 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350JY
The is350 haswaybetter steaing then the 330i. I dorve my IS and then i drove my friends 330 and it felt like awork out comparted to te lexus. The lexus wheels turns like nothing and is assmooth as can be.
The paradigm of good steering is not "a wheel that turns like nothing". If that's your criteria, you'll fall in love with an old Buick or Cadillac.

In a car with good steering feedback, effort increases as you push harder and harder into a turn. Just before the limits of tire adhesion are reached, the steering feels different. Push past that point, where skidding actually ensues, and the steering effort becomes light.

These are sensations that I DON'T want filtered with overboosted steering.

Last edited by Bichon; 07-23-06 at 08:40 AM.
Old 07-23-06, 08:44 AM
Chi-town
Pole Position

Originally Posted by akhbhaat
Ask this question in a BMW forum and see what happens.

WHY WOULD YOU BUY THE CAR YOU THINK IS WORSE?! Most people posting here at either Lexus owners or prospective Lexus owners.

Which car one thinks of as better depends entirely upon the values and priorities one has. The Lexus has more features and luxury amenities. The BMW is significantly more fun to drive. If you would prefer to think of your car as a rolling living room, then the Lexus is the obvious choice. If you think of driving as a form of entertainment, you'll choose the BMW.

Why do people waste their time coming up with rubbish threads like this?
And your reply:

Originally Posted by akhbhaat
But the sensical answer is obvious! You've just ruled it out because of assumptions that you've made. Nowhere does it say that I do consider my time valuable (at least, time during the middle of the night when most everybody I know is asleep) and am actually bothered by wasting it. In any case, I usually find these forums entertaining, so even "waste" is a bit of a stretch.
Why do people waste their time coming up with rubbish threads like this?

First, what does "sensical" mean? I cannot seem to locate that word in a dictionary, nor can I determine what, exactly, you are trying to say.

I guess at this juncture we can agree to disagree; = Lexus owner's love their sofa's and BMW owners love entertainment.
Old 07-23-06, 10:56 AM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak

Originally Posted by brentweiss
have you ever driven a bmw?
Yup, one of the worst things to get past is that 1980's interiour... once you start there, the package gets worse... so whats your point?
Old 07-23-06, 11:18 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If Highway [enter your favorite, twistiest backroad highway here] were between me and work, then I would have considered the 3 more than I did. As it is, my commute is very straight and very boring except for a couple of on ramps and since I don't weave back and forth, like the F1 drivers tryiing to warm up their tires....

The IS is quieter, faster, more reliable and has a better stereo. While it doesn't handle as well as the 3, its not exactly a slouch either. It was a fairly easy decision for me.
Old 07-23-06, 03:34 PM
IS350JY
Driver School Candidate

The IS is a much more quieter ride and smoother as well. It has a great stero system especially with the mark levinston system. The interior is also much more comfortable then the 3 series. There is just no comparison.
Old 07-23-06, 03:46 PM
brentweiss
Rookie

Originally Posted by Belmont

Have you read his post?

I have, and frankly I don't see what the big deal is either. Outside of the M series, which I've also driven, the differences between the IS350 and the 330i are just not that great for daily driving.

Originally Posted by y2ks2k
Its absolutely clear to me and mind boggling. The *only* thing that the BWM is better at is "feel" which is totally subjective... It doesn’t best it in any performance statistic at all (matching in handling statistics).. but it "feels" better apparently... But that’s not what makes a car a car... but it seems that this is the absolute primary purpose of a car according to several magazines... which boggles my mind.

I’ve been reading about how *great* the 330 is in magazines for years and every time I go to buy a car I check them out… I pass every time, I just don’t get why people think this car is worth a damn.. Its $10000 over priced in my book (the 330).

If I were just looking for *feel* in a sports sedan, I would have kept my Sti, it felt great...

doesnt sound like he has, i was just curious.....not trying to be rude
Old 07-23-06, 04:30 PM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak

doesnt sound like he has, i was just curious.....not trying to be rude
What’s your experience comparing the IS350 to the 330?

I was a member of the BMW club for 5 years to get in track days... At that time I had an S2000 and I raced with my boss that had a 01 Dinan M5... We pulled the same track times... so no, I’ve never been in a BWM or seen one in a performance situation...

So then, what’s your point in the comment?

Let me interject with what you are getting at. You don’t like people attacking the 330 so you attack them with the typical weak argument “have you ever been in one”… So yes I have… I’ve been in them on the TRACK many times… In fact... The 3 series was notorious on the track for getting in the way…

So what do you have to say now?
Old 07-23-06, 04:31 PM
CHIS350
Pole Position

have you ever driven a bmw?
No, but he owned an STi. After driving one of those a Bimmer will feel like a Buick
Old 07-23-06, 05:46 PM
IS350JY
Driver School Candidate

The IS is a much better car then the # series and is well priced. Thr BMW is at least 10000 over priced as to where the lexus price you pay for what it is reallyh worth.
Old 07-23-06, 06:17 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350JY
The IS is a much better car then the # series and is well priced. Thr BMW is at least 10000 over priced as to where the lexus price you pay for what it is reallyh worth.
As the original poster, I thought you started this thread to stimulate some intelligent discussion about why the 330i seems to be coming out on top in most car mag comparisons, while most of us in this forum chose the IS.

Apparently, that wasn't your intention.

So how about some truth in advertising: Change the title to "The IS350 rules, the 330i sucks; the magazine writers are complete boneheads; now let's all ooh and ahh over my new wheels and badges and **** all over the BMW"

Last edited by Bichon; 07-23-06 at 06:20 PM.
Old 07-23-06, 07:24 PM
FITYSCENTS
Rookie

Default This threads is turning

into a Hateon 3 series thread. Now in a ll fairness the 3 series is a good competitor. The car's handling feedback is head over heels above Lexus and probably on the same level as Audi. Lexus steering is "numb." Outside of this its fair to say that the vast majority of people would agree that Lexus is better in every other category. Performance, Reliability, Aesthetics, Interior, Refinement, Price, etc...

Alot of people consider the 3 series the best sports sedan, but the 330I can be matched or beat by the following in a straight line race....(0 to 60). Obviously this is only one area in performance, but I think this is the most critical and BMW 330I fails terribly here.

2006 BMW 330 6.6 sec
2006 Chevrolet TrailBlazer EXT 6.6 sec
2006 GMC Envoy XL 6.6 sec
2006 Nissan Armada 6.6 sec
2006 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 6.5 sec
2006 GMC Yukon XL 2500 6.5 sec
2007 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 6.3 sec
2007 GMC Yukon XL 2500 6.3 sec

Straightout pathethic.....

(info from carsdirect.com)
Old 07-23-06, 07:30 PM
FITYSCENTS
Rookie

Default 330i

So what fun is it to bragging around saying that you have the best sports sedan and you can get punched in a race against a 5000 pound SUV.
Old 07-23-06, 07:43 PM
IS350JY
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bichon
As the original poster, I thought you started this thread to stimulate some intelligent discussion about why the 330i seems to be coming out on top in most car mag comparisons, while most of us in this forum chose the IS.

Apparently, that wasn't your intention.

So how about some truth in advertising: Change the title to "The IS350 rules, the 330i sucks; the magazine writers are complete boneheads; now let's all ooh and ahh over my new wheels and badges and **** all over the BMW"
Im not saying that the 330i sucks im just saying that the IS is a much better car. And YES, LETS BRAG ABOUT MY WHEELS AND BADGES AND ANYTHING ELSE THAT I MIGHT JUST WANT TO BRAG ABOUT. MABYE YOU SHOULD GO CRY ABOUT IT!
Old 07-23-06, 07:53 PM
LexFather

Guys I am informing EVERYONE keep this thread civil or it will be closed. YOu know the rules, if not re-read them.
https://www.clublexus.com/index.php/...ew/2160/1/126/
My God, the comparo basially is a tie, they picked the 3 out barely and it has been like that in every comparo, squeaking out wins. This says volumes about the IS, as the BMW will always have the usual mag bias.

Both are tremendous cars and both on top their respective class.

Remember, the BMW will be a BMW, always a little more harder edge and driver tuned. The Lexus will be a Lexus, sport with more luxury and reliability.

Both are fantastic cars.

Quick Reply: Lexus IS350 vs. BMW 330i