S2000 to IS? Soul Searching Questions for 2IS Owners

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-06, 11:59 AM
The Chad
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmyd225
Hello sir.....

i was in the exact same dilema as you. I used to own a 2005 Honda S2000, which i purchased in december of 2005. i got my 2006 IS....at the end of June.....wait...its not that simple.

I loved the S dont get me wrong...fast...sleek.....convertible....six speed!!!! Overall, an amazing machine from honda. However....day to day driving to/from work, short trips, long trips....there was just something missing for me. I missed the comfort, the luxury, the convience of being able to pack more than one duffle bag on trips.... Also, not sure if other S owners agree, but the horizontal space (left to right room ) was rather cramped for me.

If i could have had it my way, i would have kept the S, and purchased an IS. However my age and financial status only let me have one...( I am only 21). So i went for the long term investment. i figured that an IS would come in handy per se i got married, had kids, moved, etc., Where as the S2000 would have only been exactly what it is made to be....A Fun Car!

I hope this helps!!!
It's funny you mention horizontal space, and I do think it is a bit cramped, but not real bad. I didn't seem to think the IS felt much bigger though. The roof line makes it feel kinda small from the driver's position. Maybe I'm just used to the 93 million miles of headroom that comes with owning a convertible.
Old 07-29-06, 06:41 AM
meteoro
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bgarre
My advice - Test drive the IS.
Best of luck.
Best advise, and I concur...Go drive it!!

Best of both worlds IMHO, creature comforts and sportiness.
Old 07-29-06, 07:00 AM
CHIS350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS_250
funny... ive been thinking the opposite lately. ive been comtemplating getting the s2k and getting out of my IS 250. not that i dont like my 250, but i have no need for a 4dr car, my commute to work is 5 miles round trip, and i just want something unpractical and fun to drive.
Boxster!
Old 07-29-06, 03:12 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I traded my '02 Suzuka Blue S2000 in on a White IS350 about 3 months ago. I miss the S2000, but not enough to regret the switch. The only things I REALLY miss about it are the convertible top and incredible handling. Of course, if I modded the IS to the extent that my S2000 was, the handling might not be so much of an issue. I fantasize about getting a used S2000 down the road so I can gut it for the track.
Old 01-14-07, 11:05 AM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just did a search to see what I was going to find. But glad to see a lot of ex owners here. Its the middle of winter so I can't say I miss the convertible top, but come summer time I know I'm going to be lusting over others with convertibles. There really was no joy like driving home with the top down on a warm summer day.... I'll have to wait til the IS convertible comes out I guess. All in all I'm pleased with my switch, but I would also complain about the lack of feedback from the steering. Power is plentiful and I love the torque. I also love having the power in lower rpms ranges, instead of having to make the 9k rpm runs in order to get some power. The s2000 was an awesome car, it was just time for something different.
Old 01-14-07, 12:01 PM
mav16
Driver School Candidate

I have both. The IS is a great sports sedan but make no mistake, its not a "fun" car like the S2000.
Old 01-14-07, 12:21 PM
Soda
Pole Position

I've done the same switch you're considering...I started w/a 2000 S2k sold it for a TSX w/navi...got bored in 6 mos..kept the TSX & purchased a new 04 NFR S2k...boyfriend hates them (cuz he thinks they sound like they're fallin apart) so I sold it. Cried like a BABY when the guy picked it up from my house...So I traded the TSX in for the IS350, good replacement to stop missin the S (so I thought)..But it can't replace my need for the fun to drive S2k..I stopped by the honda dealer and they had the most BEAUTIFUL Laguna Blue 06 w/the front lip & I had to have it...So I bought it and now have both. IMO, I've been there and you CANNOT replace the S w/a big sloppy handling 4 door. I bought my blue S 4 mos after my IS. That's not long...There is nothing like being able to put the top down every once in a while and go for a drive and just relax and V-tech the you know what outta that lil car..For what I pay for my IS and my S2k I could have almost leased an M6... What was I thinking!!?? That's the only replacement as far as I'm concerned. And I'm 27. I figured I was gettin old!!
Old 01-14-07, 12:23 PM
SkyIS
Driver School Candidate

I had a 01 S2000 with an OEM hardtop before I trade it in for the IS. The S2000 is a great car, especially those (before 04) with 9000+ redline. The handling is great. You can really feel the car.

I trade it for the IS because at the time we're expecting our first baby. We had the idea that both our cars should be suitable for a car seat. We are wrong. The IS is too small for my girl's car seat.

However, I do not have any regret about this change, since I consider myself a little too old(28) for the S. I prefer comfort over power and handling. On the other hand, my wife is now blaming me for getting rid of the S even she loves the IS too.

Bottom line, if you want luxury and comfort, you should go for the IS. If power, speed, and handling are still on top of your list, then you should keep your S.
Old 01-14-07, 12:30 PM
SkyIS
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=Soda;2354182]Cried like a BABY when the guy picked it up from my house...QUOTE]

My wife too were crying. She cried even before we went to make the purchase.
Old 01-14-07, 12:54 PM
Soda
Pole Position

Lol, it was terrible and I felt like a child but you can't replace the S without a similar vehicle. It just doesn't work! Unless you're truly ready to let it go, I know it's costed me a small fortune, I shoulda kept my 00 and by now it woulda been paid off for almost 2yrs! I kick myself in the A$$ for that!
Attached Thumbnails S2000 to IS?  Soul Searching Questions for 2IS Owners-soda00s2.jpg  

Last edited by Soda; 01-14-07 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-14-07, 01:06 PM
Soda
Pole Position

the only thing I didn't like was the red seats! Too bright! Here's the current child..
Attached Thumbnails S2000 to IS?  Soul Searching Questions for 2IS Owners-100_0220.jpg  

Last edited by Soda; 01-14-07 at 01:11 PM.
Old 01-14-07, 01:41 PM
khoongy
Driver

i didnt come from an s2k. i came from an 01 prelude. i also didnt enjoy people wanting to race me all the time. i felt like i needed a luxurious car with enough OOMPH to shut the ricer boys up... and the 2IS 350 does just that. ive had the car for about 3 months now and not very many people want to go head to head with the 2IS, unless they think its a 250. but i am very happy with my switch from honda.i have driven the s2k though. beautiful car. i wouldnt say the 2IS is a "fun" car, but it sure is a nice one. it doesnt have the loud engines like the vtech hondas, which is a + for me because i am getting more mature like you are yourself.

but since you are a tech junkie, who needs power and luxury, i think you should make the switch.

Last edited by khoongy; 01-14-07 at 01:45 PM.
Old 01-14-07, 01:44 PM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Soda
the only thing I didn't like was the red seats! Too bright! Here's the current child..
Beautiful color.
Old 01-14-07, 02:04 PM
Soda
Pole Position

Thank you! I love her!
Old 01-14-07, 03:34 PM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I don't own an s2000 but i've driven one alot.

From a driver's point of view the s2000 is more fun to drive due to it's sportiveness whereas the Lexus is more for cruising....both are very different cars ( ). Perhaps one would appreciate the LExus more in the Auto than in the manual. Alot of reviews have given the thumbs up for auto tranny over manual.

From an image point of view, if you do get yourself a lexus, think hard about the color because imo color adds to the looks more than you think they do. I'd get silver because it highlights the car best and that is what people want in a Lexus, image.

Quick Reply: S2000 to IS? Soul Searching Questions for 2IS Owners