IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

service at 1000 miles?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-06, 05:33 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

mobil 1 makes a new synthetic that they guarantee for 15k miles or 1 year. Im going to think about using that, maybe change it out every 9-10 months whenever I get an IS. Heard some forced induction guys used it and gained decent amount of power over their previous oil like 10 hp. but thats FI not N/A for us.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...rformance.aspx

Available as:
Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-30
Mobil 1 Extended Performance 10W-30
Mobil 1 Extended Performance 15W-50

IS uses 5W-30?
Old 07-27-06, 06:26 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
mobil 1 makes a new synthetic that they guarantee for 15k miles or 1 year.
Unfortunately what they guarantee is the oil, not your engine.

Im going to think about using that, maybe change it out every 9-10 months whenever I get an IS.
Mobil recommends that you follow the manufacturers oil change recommendations during the warranty period. That's good advice.

IS uses 5W-30?
Yes.
Old 07-27-06, 06:29 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
Exactly.
Old 07-27-06, 06:56 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

if the oil could maintain lubricative properties for 15k miles what difference would it make on the engine
Old 07-27-06, 07:24 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

if the oil could maintain lubricative properties for 15k miles what difference would it make on the engine
You may face warranty issues if you have a major mechanical problem and haven't adhered to the service intervals detailed in the owners manual. Unless you have a team of lawyers on retainer, it isn't worth the risk.

After the warranty has expired, you are free to try extending the intervals, but I'd recommend spending the $20 for a Blackstone oil analysis periodically, both to monitor the health of your engine, and to arrive at an oil change interval that works well based on its mechanical condition.
Old 07-27-06, 07:28 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Contaminants like dirt, moisture, tiny metal shavings
Old 07-27-06, 07:49 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Abrasives in the fluid aren't favorable to the engine/oil pump, not so much the resistance to breakdown that they advertise. Sell me a filter(s) to match, and I'd be happy to change every 15k miles.
Old 07-27-06, 07:57 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ff_
Contaminants like dirt, moisture, tiny metal shavings
Also fuel, antifreeze and other insolubles too small to be trapped by the oil filter. Viscosity can break down, and additives can become depleted.

(As I said before, an oil analysis gives you visibility into these metrics, as well as wear levels for various metals, and is HIGHLY recommended for those trying to safely stretch the oil drain interval as far as possible.)
Old 07-27-06, 08:06 AM
XKronite
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=4TehNguyen]mobil 1 makes a new synthetic that they guarantee for 15k miles or 1 year. Im going to think about using that, maybe change it out every 9-10 months whenever I get an IS. Heard some forced induction guys used it and gained decent amount of power over their previous oil like 10 hp. but thats FI not N/A for us.

I waited for the 5K to roll araound and I used 5.6 quarts of Mobil 1 Extended Performance + 1 quart Duralube. I plan on keep using it (the Mobil 1 part) every 10K to 15K miles. Yes, it was probably the most expensive oil (just under $7 quart) but I think the advantages (and potential added protection) easily justify the cost.

Interestingly enough, I was getting relatively decent mileage with the original factory oil (around 23 to 24 mpg primarily highway driving), but since the Mobil 1 / Duralube combo went in I'm consistantly getting 27.6+ mpg. Using the same gas, same routes, same drving style. What's even more encouraging was that the onboard mpg calculator has proven to be extremely accurate when compared to the old fashioned way of checking mpg. I was honestly (and very pleasantly) surprised at the mpg increase. It'll be interesting to see if the increase improves, declines, or just stays put.

As far as letting the dealer (Lexus or any other for than matter) get anywhere near my car with tools - over my cold dead body. I've had many cars from various manufacturers and I've yet to be impressed by any of them. They never follow instructions - even something as simple as requesting to NOT wash the car when they're done. If they can't follow an instruction as simple as that - well they haven't earned my trust. Besides, changing oil 2 -3 times a year is not a real big deal by any stretch of the imagination. Someone else said it already - knowing that's it done properly (and using the specific oil I want) is truly priceless. Thanks anyway but the capuccino, donuts, fancy fish tanks, and leather chairs simply don't add any value to the durability/reliability of my car.
Old 07-27-06, 10:17 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

If Lexus produce two identical cars, one for the US and one for Europe and the rest of the world, yet specify 5k oil changes in one market and 10k oil changes in the other is it:

a) To counter the effects of harsher driving conditions in the US?
b) A scam to get US drivers to spend twice as much as is required on regular maintenance?

I must admit looking at the prices Lexus dealers charge in the competitive US market for servicing, which is roughly half what drivers pay in Europe, I think they have to get drivers to come in twice as often as is required to pay for all the fancy overheads in the dealerships.
Old 07-27-06, 10:34 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

uggh, I can't believe you use Duralube. You know what those oil additives do to your engine?

(this is an exaggeration)
Old 07-27-06, 12:16 PM
XKronite
Driver School Candidate

Perhaps you could enlighten us ?
Old 07-27-06, 06:27 PM
GreyHound
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yes Synpower

No such thing. Castrol makes Syntec, Valvoline makes SynPower.

I'm a Mobil 1 man myself. But I waited until 5,000 miles to switch, in the belief that running dino oil early on helps the rings seat better.
Syntec, My Bad.
Yes,it was Valvoline Synpower. Rolling Rock makes you type funny things .
Old 07-28-06, 01:27 AM
Zephyr
Lexus Test Driver

true they advertise the sythetic oils to last even longer, but seriously, are we that lazy to do that to our pretty pricey cars? i know motul and like mobile 1 is advertised to be 15k miles but seriously, who wants to risk it.

3k-5k miles i say.
Old 07-28-06, 02:43 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Zephyr
true they advertise the sythetic oils to last even longer, but seriously, are we that lazy to do that to our pretty pricey cars? i know motul and like mobile 1 is advertised to be 15k miles but seriously, who wants to risk it.

3k-5k miles i say.
Yeah but are you saying that in the 40 years since 5k mineral oil change intervals were the norm, the hundreds of millions of dollars spent on R&D in oil and filter technology has produced a net improvement of performance of zero?

I know people will say 5k oil change intervals is cheap insurance but if 5k changes are so much better than 10k, then it stands to reason that 2.5k must be better than 5k, and so on. Where do you draw the line? It may become acedemic anyway since, for environmental reasons manufacturers and legislators are working towards sealed for life engines where you can't replace the oil. Most gearboxes and transmissions are sealed for life now, yet it was the norm in the past to regularly change those. You don't hear anyone talking about doing that now.

Quick Reply: service at 1000 miles?