IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

service at 1000 miles?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-06, 05:41 PM
doctorttt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default service at 1000 miles?

My friends told me that I should bring in my baby for an oil change at 1000 miles. Not sure why, but he said new car should do this...

Is it necessary? If not, I will wait at 5000. (Oil change at Lexus is quite expensive)
By the way, if I bring it to a Toyota shop, will technicans treat my car the same as opposed to Lexus? like..give you a car wash, loaner and etc..?
Old 07-25-06, 05:45 PM
conekiller
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IS first service & oil change is at 5K and it's free.
Old 07-25-06, 05:46 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Changing your oil at 1,000 miles is very subjective. Different people have their own opinions on this. Has been discussed in the past.

I would just change the oil between 2,500-3000. Not 5000. As I recall, Toyota will uses dino oil in these engines. Also, not all Lexus dealers are expensive when it comes to oil changes. The cheapest I saw was around $44 for a oil change.

A Toyota dealer and a Lexus dealer is two different things. Lexus is the luxury devision of Toyota which strives for luxury and pampers it's customers to the fullest. You can do the math on that.
Old 07-25-06, 05:50 PM
doctorttt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pocky
A Toyota dealer and a Lexus dealer is two different things. Lexus is the luxury devision of Toyota which strives for luxury and pampers it's customers to the fullest. You can do the math on that.
You bet!!!
Old 07-25-06, 06:51 PM
GreyHound
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2750

One k miles, the oil should be a very light color. I know some people who do a change at that low a mileage. I changed mine at 2750. Missed to at 2500, but the oil still looked good, sent a sample off for analysis, just to make sure everything is OK.
I did it myself, I guess I will take it in for the 5 K check, supposedly its free. I think they check the windshield wipers and such. Don't like people messing with my car.
Git r Done
Old 07-25-06, 06:55 PM
is4me2
Lead Lap

Cool

When you bring your car in for the 1,000 mile check up they just look things over. They don't change the oil. It is also a good time to get your personalized settings done.
Old 07-25-06, 07:05 PM
acsan
Driver

Originally Posted by doctorttt
My friends told me that I should bring in my baby for an oil change at 1000 miles. Not sure why, but he said new car should do this...

Is it necessary? If not, I will wait at 5000. (Oil change at Lexus is quite expensive)
By the way, if I bring it to a Toyota shop, will technicans treat my car the same as opposed to Lexus? like..give you a car wash, loaner and etc..?
It also depends how long you've had your car. I believe the first scheduled maintenance and oil change as some other members have mentioned is at 5,000 miles or after 6 months whichever comes first. So if you're one of those that puts in low mileage on your car, then it still makes sense to change your oil even though you're only at 1,000 miles or so.
Old 07-25-06, 07:16 PM
CoasterG
Lead Lap

I changed my oil to synthetic at 1,000 mi and did my personalized settings at that point as well. Good thing to use your free oil change to go to synthetic if you are intending to do so, some dealers charge you to change over, others do not - your mileage will vary.
Old 07-26-06, 11:45 AM
The Law
Driver School Candidate

Does Lexus still offer the complimentary 1K mile inspection? Or, does it depend on the dealership? My salesperson just told me to bring the car back for the first scheduled maintenance. I intend to change my oil sooner than that, however.

How many of you have switched to synthetic oil for your IS? Is it worth the extra $?
Old 07-26-06, 12:13 PM
sixth
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by The Law
Does Lexus still offer the complimentary 1K mile inspection? Or, does it depend on the dealership? My salesperson just told me to bring the car back for the first scheduled maintenance. I intend to change my oil sooner than that, however.

How many of you have switched to synthetic oil for your IS? Is it worth the extra $?

Good question, I have ran synthentic in my celica GTS for 5 years, just got my 250 two days ago, wondering what everyone does? And i have to agree about the oil change time...i am doing at 1000-1500...
Old 07-26-06, 07:30 PM
GreyHound
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Synthetic

Yes, I changed it to Valvoline Syntec, little more expensive, like $4.39 a quart, you need 6.6 quarts, 5w-30 I believe.
But I am not leaving it in the extended OCI like some. It will be the same 4k to 5k interval. Or when the seasons change, whichever comes first.
I have had Good luck with synthetic oil, use Shell Rotella synthetic in the Dodge Ram
Old 07-26-06, 08:27 PM
Zephyr
Lexus Test Driver

According to dealer they told me these cars came out with mobile 1 10W40 and changing 5k miles is ok just dont stretch it too far. but then again, dealers haven't been always right..

synthetic oils these days last pretty well, and plus it's not like you are racing your car to need frequent oil changes. i'm just sticking to 5k oil changes. i said screw it on my 10k oil change and put in Motul 300V Chrono 10W40. nothing but the best for my baby =P
Old 07-26-06, 08:29 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by GreyHound
Yes, I changed it to Valvoline Syntec,
No such thing. Castrol makes Syntec, Valvoline makes SynPower.

I'm a Mobil 1 man myself. But I waited until 5,000 miles to switch, in the belief that running dino oil early on helps the rings seat better.
Old 07-26-06, 08:54 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

I switched to Mobile 1 synthetic at my 10k service... I was going to do it at the 5k but I totally forgot to ask for it. The difference in cost at my Lexus dealer was $57 versus $89 if I recall. Not "cheap" but $89 every 5k miles isn't going to kill me. Heck, my dealer even gives me a loaner even for an oil change so it's not bad at all.

I'm sure if the engine can go 5k miles on dino oil, it can go even longer on synthetic, but I still plan on changing it every 5k miles. A friend of mine just leased an 06 MB C230 Sport which comes with Mobile 1 and they said it only requires an oil change every 10k miles.
Old 07-26-06, 10:22 PM
The Law
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bichon
No such thing. Castrol makes Syntec, Valvoline makes SynPower.

I'm a Mobil 1 man myself. But I waited until 5,000 miles to switch, in the belief that running dino oil early on helps the rings seat better.
Do you think the rings need 5,000 miles to sit properly? I'm from the old school, so I prefer to change the oil around 2,000 miles to remove any loose shavings or what have you. However, if it's better to keep the "dino oil" in the engine for a longer period of time, I have no problem with that either. Any thoughts?

Quick Reply: service at 1000 miles?