IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How legit are these??

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-06, 10:00 AM
islandsnow
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jasoncd
Nope Actually I think all cars should be required to have amber for safety issues. If I see amber I know for certain the car is signaling. Red means it takes more time to figure it out, esp. if you can't see the other side of the car. That's a split second that can cost you. This is esp. problematic when a car has only one functioning brake light (it happens alot). Ok, off my soapbox now.
unless there's a color blind issue, what does it matter what color the turn signal is? i think you should be more concerned if the turn signal light is not blinking rather than if its red or amber. i've seem cars these days (i forget which line) that has all red lights without any mods to it.
Old 07-27-06, 10:16 AM
sirCharles
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by islandsnow
unless there's a color blind issue, what does it matter what color the turn signal is? i think you should be more concerned if the turn signal light is not blinking rather than if its red or amber. i've seem cars these days (i forget which line) that has all red lights without any mods to it.
I have also seen newer cars out there that are all redded-out...This does not mean they are any safer.

The real point is our 2is...and which looks better/more distinguishable as a signal.
Certainly majority of us are not color blind and have no problems or would have no problems
distinguishing. But it only takes one individual to be confused and potentially cause you problems. The amber is much MUCH more blingy.

Overall I think the rvinly red-outs lookmbetter, but not by much and at a potential cost.
Old 07-27-06, 10:29 AM
cmusic
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I've noticed that most Japanese vehicles have amber turn signal lights in the rear while most American vehicles have all red rear turn signal lights. I think it may have to do with the Japanese auto laws requiring all turn signals to be amber while US auto laws only require the front turn signals to be amber. This way Japanese vehicles sold both in Japan and the US can use the same signal light parts.

I have not noticed many European cars with stock red turn signal lights either.
Old 07-29-06, 09:34 AM
islandsnow
Driver

Originally Posted by sirCharles
I have also seen newer cars out there that are all redded-out...This does not mean they are any safer.

The real point is our 2is...and which looks better/more distinguishable as a signal.
Certainly majority of us are not color blind and have no problems or would have no problems
distinguishing. But it only takes one individual to be confused and potentially cause you problems. The amber is much MUCH more blingy.

Overall I think the rvinly red-outs lookmbetter, but not by much and at a potential cost.
i'd be interested to see if there's actually a study that says amber lights is better than any other light for turn signals. just like the study for DRLs.
Old 07-29-06, 11:15 PM
islandsnow
Driver

when i went out for a drive today, i made sure to check out everyone's tail lights/signal lights for amber. i'd say 50% or more are all redded out. cars from mercedes, audi, bmw, saab, honda, dodge, toyota, saturn, mazda, hyundai, etc etc etc all didn't have amber, but it also depended on model and year too. i saw hondas that had red, and some with red/amber. maybe thats why i saw over 100 accidents since people couldn't distinguish when someone was making a signal to turn

Originally Posted by sirCharles

Old 07-30-06, 03:06 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cmusic
I've noticed that most Japanese vehicles have amber turn signal lights in the rear while most American vehicles have all red rear turn signal lights. I think it may have to do with the Japanese auto laws requiring all turn signals to be amber while US auto laws only require the front turn signals to be amber. This way Japanese vehicles sold both in Japan and the US can use the same signal light parts.

I have not noticed many European cars with stock red turn signal lights either.
It's law for European vehicles to have amber indicators all round. Personally I think amber for turn signals is less confusing and redding out the rears just looks like a cheap mod.
Old 07-30-06, 11:42 AM
islandsnow
Driver

those who had their IS's rear amber lights redded-out, is it just cosmetic looks or does it actually change the color of the signal light when lit? does it still blink amber even with the red out? or does it make it red?
Old 07-30-06, 11:48 AM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

it comes out red
Old 07-30-06, 12:22 PM
sirCharles
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by islandsnow
those who had their IS's rear amber lights redded-out, is it just cosmetic looks or does it actually change the color of the signal light when lit? does it still blink amber even with the red out? or does it make it red?
red indeed.
Which was the part that what told me to go with the ambers. I actually had it on one side for like a week before deciding to remove it. I had difficulty getting the other side on so just rode for a week with one red out. Then, I asked about 10 different people at different times during the week, which looks better with my harzards on. Everyone of them said the amber. Reasons: "Uh, it just looks more like a signal."

This is 99.9% a looks mod. Without the signal, to me, the red out looks better. More sporty or something...there a not much signaling on racetracks or rally. These sport cars have this look.
It's just chioce. I deal with Atlanta city traffic, pedestrians, cops, buses, cyclists, etc.
The amber leaves no question.