IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

techinfo/techdocs.lexus.com costs money?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-06, 01:11 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mike503
no ... that's against the rules. i'd rather not be banned

they really should provide this information publically

Old 07-28-06, 06:34 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,953 Likes on 2,394 Posts

Originally Posted by mike503
no ... that's against the rules. i'd rather not be banned

they really should provide this information publically
They do provide it publically. It's just not free. I don't know if you've ever been involved in procurement, but I have some experience with military system procurement. Documentation and training are the two items that really cost a LOT of money. They're often the first to suffer budget cuts. Without them, it can be nearly impossible to repair and/or maintain something. I bought an annual subscription to TIS. I have multiple Toyotas/Scions/Lexus I service so it makes sense for me.

The site is horrible for user friendliness. I don't know how they could have made it worse.

All the wiring is in the EWD manuals. Sometimes they have a really good theory of operation in the EWD. Other times the theory is in the Repair Manual. If it isn't in either of those two, check the New Car Features. It is a cornucopia of information.

If you have questions about TIS, send me a PM. If you want information from TIS - don't ask me to violate the copyright. It would be detrimental to my continued employment.
Old 07-31-06, 03:23 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

I've been downloading the IS350 manuals for a few days now. Off and on. Adobe only lets you open so many docs before it kills IE, and you can't use an alternate browser like Firefox unless you want to teach it some good tricks. It would take a very concerted effort to get the whole thing pulled down in a day. Don't expect to accomplish much else. I have 1,057 files between the Electrical Wiring Diagram, New Car Features, Repair Manual, and TSBs, and I'm still only about half done with the RM. So far it's 183Mb+. I've not pulled down anything for the 4GR-FSE either, just 2GR-FSE.

Just FYI, there are 100 pages for the electrical schematic alone. It's a LOT of material.
Old 07-31-06, 04:12 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for the info, lobuxracer - what you've said confirms my stated intentions of buying a month's worth of access. In the past I had access to GM's TechInfo, and I remember being amazed at just how much information was there - but it was OH-SO VALUABLE to enthusiasts like us!

Javier
Old 08-09-06, 10:51 AM
mike503
Driver School Candidate

i downloaded every PDF for the IS350 (~ 700 if i recall)

so i have all the info, and still can't find the pin-out easily. it's just that cryptic color/pin ID and that's it. i might have to PM you to ask which doc. someone has a very clean one that includes the purpose of each pin (either that, or they summarized it nicely)
Old 08-09-06, 01:06 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

You won't find that exact info in a tech doc on techinfo. You have to have a little experience or have access to the Toyota training documentation. They do assume you have a fairly sophisticated understanding of Toyota's design principles.

Which thing is it you need to find and understand?

BTW, I have 1,062 files, and I am not done yet.

Also, the manuals for the '07s are available. The VDIM has changed and now incorporates a connection to the power steering unit that didn't exist in the '06, and they've added a complete discussion of how the VSC off switch works. It just keeps getting better...
Old 08-09-06, 01:55 PM
mike503
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
You won't find that exact info in a tech doc on techinfo. You have to have a little experience or have access to the Toyota training documentation. They do assume you have a fairly sophisticated understanding of Toyota's design principles.

Which thing is it you need to find and understand?

BTW, I have 1,062 files, and I am not done yet.

Also, the manuals for the '07s are available. The VDIM has changed and now incorporates a connection to the power steering unit that didn't exist in the '06, and they've added a complete discussion of how the VSC off switch works. It just keeps getting better...
well, as i own an '06 is350, i don't care about the other models - everything will keep getting better, i just want to maximize the fun with my existing investment

i'm trying to understand all the pins on the nav unit/console - i know there's NTSC, the backup camera is in there, etc. it'd be fun to mess around and see if i could enable the backup camera anytime i want (using a switch perhaps) as well as feed the nav display a different video feed (perhaps off a miniPC?)

the ~ 700 files i talked about were everything that is listed for the 2006 is350. i didn't look for anything else.