IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Low volume on AUX input (non-ML)

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-06, 12:44 PM
romwarrior
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low volume on AUX input (non-ML)

Has anyone else noticed low volume on the AUX input of the stock stereo? I have to max out the volume on my MP3 player and then turn the stereo to at least 50 to be at a decent level. I never go above 40 on any of the other inputs.

Is it just my device maybe? I used in my old IS300 (although with a casette adapter) with no problems, but now with the 2IS the volume seems quite low. I have only tried the one device though. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same thing...
Old 07-27-06, 01:27 PM
tbs2
Driver School Candidate

U shouldn't use the regular headphone plug. In case of an Ipod, u should use the line out plug. That means the volume control on your MP3 player would be disable. Only car volume control can be used.

Old 07-27-06, 01:44 PM
Pittdawg
Driver

That last post didn't address your question at all, so let me do it for you...yes, the volume on the aux input sucks. I have to turn my stereo volume much louder with that input compared to the others as well, however, I'm still glad to have that input and it still sounds good, just a little softer than I would like.
Old 07-27-06, 01:52 PM
sixth
Driver School Candidate

What version Ipods do you guys have? I have a 5th gen video and I am using the headphone port and it sounds great, not to low or anything. I acutally bought one of those Sik adapters to try out but with out my knowledge THEY dont work with the 5th gen video ipods. I think i remmeber reading that the 5th gen ipods headphone jack acted like an line out/headphone port all the time.

also another heads up, make sure in setting son your ipod you have the volume limiter turn off/up all the way...
Old 07-27-06, 02:10 PM
romwarrior
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, Pittdawg. Yeah, I guess it's not a big deal since I can just turn up the volume and it does sound pretty good. And I just figured out that each input remembers it's own volume so I guess I have nothing to worry about. I was concerned about forgetting about high volume setting and switching to CD and blowing some speakers...

And for the record, I don't have an Ipod...
Old 07-27-06, 04:03 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it depends on your device. i have a non-ipod harddisk mp3 player and i dont even turn that to max and my music plays fine at 25 for the aux input. small mp3 players lack the juice to amplify the signal, so what you can do is add in an amplifier. it doesnt have to be big or anything and you can even build your own, for example a simple CMOY headphone amplifier that runs on one 9V battery (or car jack, if you build it so). even the small CMOY amp will make the signal VERY loud.

if youre feeling adventurous:
http://tangentsoft.net/audio/cmoy-tutorial/
Old 07-27-06, 04:46 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this thread is not about the ipod but about most any other mp3 player. if it were about low volume ipods, we'd have some other solutions for you to try (many of which haven't been addressed here).
Old 07-27-06, 04:54 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

no problems with my aux volume. i keep the volume at the same level while listening to the radio or my ipod.
Old 07-27-06, 05:18 PM
islandsnow
Driver

Originally Posted by romwarrior
Has anyone else noticed low volume on the AUX input of the stock stereo? I have to max out the volume on my MP3 player and then turn the stereo to at least 50 to be at a decent level. I never go above 40 on any of the other inputs.

Is it just my device maybe? I used in my old IS300 (although with a casette adapter) with no problems, but now with the 2IS the volume seems quite low. I have only tried the one device though. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same thing...
i have the ML and tried it with my ipod nano yesterday and it was so soft. i had to max out the volume on the ipod. i rather leave the ML volume where it is in case i switch off to the radio. i don't want it blasting away.
Old 07-27-06, 05:56 PM
Chi-town
Pole Position

Lightbulb Bitrate/amplifier

I had this problem as well, that is, until I changed the bitrate/amplifier setting on my iPod. Ultimately, this will decrease the amount of music that you could carry, but the results outweight the cost. Secondly, if you do like myself you could save EQ and Amplifier settings for certain songs/albums; however, if your iPod is in jack format mode, certain songs will be high and others low. The latter of which I do not recommend. I recommend changing the EQ to the corresponding setting (Rock, Alt, Hip-Hop, etc.) and setting the Amp to around +75% for all songs/albums, that in addition to direct line-in should solve all of the sound issues.

Note: If you are charging your iPod will driving you'll hear engine whine. I recommend unplugging your iPod, unless charging is deemed necessary. No worries
Old 07-27-06, 05:58 PM
Chi-town
Pole Position

Forgot to mention, most of these enhancements etc., have to be facilitated via itunes (I believe that's the name of the iPod program) don't know for such because I'm not at home.
Old 07-27-06, 06:52 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by islandsnow
i have the ML and tried it with my ipod nano yesterday and it was so soft. i had to max out the volume on the ipod. i rather leave the ML volume where it is in case i switch off to the radio. i don't want it blasting away.
not sure about the ml... but for my regular sound system, it keeps the volume at the same level you had it at before you switch modes. for example, i have my fm at volume 10 and i switch to my aux ipod and set that at volume 20. if i switch back to fm.. it'll go back to volume 10.

i also keep my ipod at max volume when listening to it via aux input.
Old 07-27-06, 09:41 PM
Torii
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

this will solve that problem if you care to...

I have 1 in my truck and it works very well

link
Old 07-28-06, 12:42 AM
islandsnow
Driver

Originally Posted by ULTiMaX99
not sure about the ml... but for my regular sound system, it keeps the volume at the same level you had it at before you switch modes. for example, i have my fm at volume 10 and i switch to my aux ipod and set that at volume 20. if i switch back to fm.. it'll go back to volume 10.

i also keep my ipod at max volume when listening to it via aux input.
oh i didn't know that. i'll have to check it out. but i swear when i switch from cd to radio, it doesn't keep separate volume levels.
Old 07-28-06, 03:20 AM
trocade
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by islandsnow
oh i didn't know that. i'll have to check it out. but i swear when i switch from cd to radio, it doesn't keep separate volume levels.
It does keep the separate volumes on ML to.

Quick Reply: Low volume on AUX input (non-ML)