IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Direct Ipod Integration from Toyota/Lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-06, 12:59 AM
gyahhh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Direct Ipod Integration from Toyota/Lexus?

Hello I am a newb to Lexus, to forums, to car mods... etc

I just got my IS last week and have been reading a lot of these threads and have found many of my questions to be answered.

I was wondering if Toyota/Lexus was planning to release a factory option for ipod integration similar to what is available on their scions? (Let's you search artists, albums, songs, through factory radio and charges ipod)

I read about the vais device but I'm not much of a playlist guy; and to my understanding you can only search the vais device using playlists...

Does anyone have any info on this subject?

Ps. if anyone has any recommendations for any add ons or accessories that are a must have with this car please let me know!

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-28-06, 07:16 AM
wldweasel0
Driver School Candidate

With all the aftermarket stuff, it would seem smart for Toyota/Lexus to cash in on that market and come up with a stock iPod integration. I guess it all really depends on how they feel it will sell in certain types of cars. Most people concerned with iPod integration are younger, in the 20-somethings, and I would say most (don't get me wrong, I am not trying to over generalize here) 20-somethings probably buy Scions, Civics, Jettas, Sentras and so on, and those cars are starting to get iPod integration now too. Why they just don't make it standard on all cars is up to their marketing research I suppose.
Old 07-28-06, 08:59 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

if it was standard how would non ipod users use their mp3 player. IMO it should be an option or include both AUX and ipod integration connections
Old 07-28-06, 11:14 AM
wldweasel0
Driver School Candidate

Good point. I'd roll with that.
Old 07-28-06, 02:15 PM
trocade
Driver School Candidate

I really would like to see ipod integration via bluetooth. That would be awesome

You still have to connect the ipod via the aux in to get the sound. But you can control the ipod via the nav screen. Of course this would require som sort of accesorie for the ipod but still nothing impossible.
Old 07-28-06, 02:16 PM
RCPiercy
Driver

They should just make all these things with usb controls/line out. Tired of all this proprietary crap. I have a Sony Walkman HD Atrac3 plus player and they don't even make a line out control for the darned thing even though it has the socket. Sony made three generations in less than a year and still couldn't sell the thing so they gave up before any demand for accessories of any kind. Not even a car charger-- 30hr battery life though. Off topic but does anyone use a Napster-to-go mp3 player?
Old 07-28-06, 02:38 PM
BShears
Rookie

Originally Posted by gyahhh
... but I'm not much of a playlist guy

I wasn't a "playlist guy" either with 8,000 songs on my iPod. What I found, though, after I installed the Vais unit is I became a playlist guy and it's cool, and really, you're not limited to your playlists. Here's what I mean:

I built about 40 playlists. They're either smart playlists or one's I created. I have a smart one that takes 100 random tunes and will drop one off the list if the song has been played in the last three days. What's cool is songs you play through the Vais will show up in iTunes as being played so, if you sync your ipod, those songs you drop off and you'll always have a fresh playlist. I also created some smart playlists to parse through my Podcasts (i.e. news, sports, comedy, etc). It makes getting what I want fast and easy.

For regular playlists there's some great Applescripts (if you're using a Mac) to automatically create playlists like 20 tracks from an artist or a two-fer (2 random tracks from a group of artists, etc.) Do a google on "Doug's Applescripts" to find the site. My point is, you're not going to be searching through your tracks while you're driving anyway (even if you had that functionality) so using your playlist the right way(and if you do the hack) gives you what you could practically do in the car while your driving (i.e. scrolling the nav to another screen in a playlist to get to song 7 is distracting enough).

And, even if the above it's good enough, you have two more options:
1. If you want to hear a particular album you can create an "on-to-go" playlist

or

2. You can put the Vais into simple mode and get to your library. You can still switch tracks and adjust the volume from the steering wheel in simple mode.

I hope this helps.
Old 07-28-06, 02:58 PM
crzygosu87
Driver School Candidate

ummm maybe im not understanding something here but i thought the IS alrdy came with a MP3/WMA port located within the armrest? so u can basically plug ure ipod or w/e music player in and the audio comes out through da car's system???

*edit* oh nvm after reading the post over again ic what u guys mean ... hmmm i would just go with the harmon kardon ipod integration kit ... has a replica control wheel and everything so its EXACTLY like ure ipod...awesome stuff really
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-nGYucNw...771&I=108DP1US
Old 07-28-06, 03:21 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crzygosu87
ummm maybe im not understanding something here but i thought the IS alrdy came with a MP3/WMA port located within the armrest? so u can basically plug ure ipod or w/e music player in and the audio comes out through da car's system???

*edit* oh nvm after reading the post over again ic what u guys mean ... hmmm i would just go with the harmon kardon ipod integration kit ... has a replica control wheel and everything so its EXACTLY like ure ipod...awesome stuff really
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-nGYucNw...771&I=108DP1US
i think the whole vais idea is to put the ipod tracks and control onto the stock nav unit and the stock steering wheel buttons for control. not on an aftermarket separate controller.
Old 07-28-06, 03:26 PM
BShears
Rookie

Yeah, a buddy of mine has the HK kit in is Audi. He loves the Vais because it's cleaner, fully integrated.

If the phone rings does the HK pause your music? That's full integration.
Old 07-28-06, 06:13 PM
exilio
Driver School Candidate

But what about us poor bastards WITHOUT nav? I don't seem to read too much on these boards about iPod integration for those with the non-Nav setup. (Sorry, I could not rationalize paying that much cash for Nav when a.) I usually know where I am going and b.) it cost as much as a full PC, a good PC))

But, I would really love a way to see my iPod text on my non-nav system AND be able to skip tracks with the steering wheel controls.
Old 07-28-06, 07:25 PM
CoasterG
Lead Lap

The VAIS unit for non-Nav headunits can have issues - some people have and others haven't.

One thing though, VAIS was extremely helpful and they tried really hard to help me get my non-Navi unit working, even shipped a replacement but it wouldn't work well for me, the unit would lose the ability to display song/folder/playlist info although the iPod controls still worked well. I returned it and they were great with the return as well.

Hardest part is getting the center dash out, especially the dang vents - almost broke mine since I had to do it 3 times. Actually its just hard dealing with the vents, the AC/radio unit is a snap and taking out the ash tray and shifter is a snap also.

So I'd recommend trying the VAIS unit and hopefully it'll work for you - I know the Navi people have had very good experiences overall with it and my experience non-Navi may be a fluke.

I'm going to explore other options, maybe the Harmon Kardon iPod drive + play module since I can directly feed it into the AUX and run my XM thru it also.
Old 08-01-06, 09:03 PM
exilio
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply.

I think I am going to wait for a more elegant and proven solution. Afterall, I am waiting for Sirius right now too.