IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Clear Bra For IS

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-06, 01:04 AM
gyahhh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear Bra For IS

Has anyone purchased a clear bra for their IS?

Where did you get it? How much did you pay?

I googled lexus is clear bras and found some from 3M... I don't know which are good/bad or worth it/rip off.

Is it easy to do it yourself?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-28-06, 01:24 AM
mike503
Driver School Candidate

i got my IS350 with a "northwest protection package" - it includes 3m covering on the front part of the hood, the interior of the door handles, on the side rear-view windows, and toughguard (or something) on the whole of the exterior. they also scotchguarded or toughguarded (something like that) the interior as well.

a quick glance in certian light makes the 3m look like it's one big scratch on the hood where the perforation is... but then people wind up noticing real quick it's a protective layer. i didn't think it would actually be like one big sticker when i bought it...

what pisses me off is they don't put it down on the bumper - where a lot more of the bug guts and road crap hits. i'm going to bring it up next time i'm in there and see if there's any way to add that, or why it's not included.

also - i think there's a small air pocket in the protective covering, another thing i need to bring up to them. the way it's on the car, it would look extremely ghetto if it wound up having permanent air bubbles in it...
Old 07-28-06, 05:44 AM
Bengalfang
Driver

Originally Posted by gyahhh

I googled lexus is clear bras and found some from 3M... I don't know which are good/bad or worth it/rip off.

Thanks in advance.
Got mine at Driving Expressions in Sarasota/ 550 + tax. That was 18in up the hood, fenders, bumper and mirrors. Are you close to Sarasota?

I never tried putting one on myself but I don't think it's very easy.
Old 07-28-06, 07:01 AM
brel523
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gyahhh

Thanks in advance.
Got mine installed same day bought the car at Ultrashield of Charlotte, NC. It's 3M .8mm thick that covers the hood(about 20" up), bumper, fenders, and mirrors. He did an awesome job. He was very meticulous, patient when applying it, and nice to work with. I'm very picky about what goes on my car and how it's applied and I was very happy with his work. No bubbles, no scratches, and everything fit great. He even installed a little cut out behind the drivers door handle to cut down on potential scratches.

In the picture you can just barely see the bra line across the hood. You can't tell it's applied to the bumper at all. I've had people stand directly in front of the car and not even notice it. Only until I point it out do they even see it. Even up close you can't tell it's applied to the bumper. Needless to say, very pleased with it. I also don't hesitate to be a little aggressive on getting the bugs of the bumper/hood since it's protected now. Cost was $500. Took about 4 hours to install. Well worth it to me.

Old 07-28-06, 07:54 AM
Torii
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I think I will just repaint the front bumper when/if it needs it(might be cheaper) than $500.
Old 07-28-06, 08:16 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Torii
I think I will just repaint the front bumper when/if it needs it(might be cheaper) than $500.
I'd strongly suggest on getting one, so that you may avoid cost of labor and paint when attempting to fix/match colors in the future. Its up to you, but the paint on the 2IS just chips that easily.
Old 07-28-06, 08:22 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by brel523
It's 3M .8mm thick ...
No wonder it's so visible. 0.8mm thick! That's overkill, generally used for headlights.
Old 07-28-06, 08:34 AM
brel523
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TimboIS
No wonder it's so visible. 0.8mm thick! That's overkill, generally used for headlights.
It's only visible on the line across the hood. Any thickness of bra on the line across the hood at the correct angle is going to be seen. The bumper bra you can't see at all. Well worth the money to me. I don't notice it all anymore. It's just part of the car now that protects.

The guy that installed said he uses even thicker 3M material for headlights.
Old 07-28-06, 10:09 AM
LoVeMy06IS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Torii
I agree.. my IS is black and I really don't like how the clear bra looks on it.. I already have a couple rock chips but they are not that bad and it's inevitable! I drive alot and plus, you can only be so careful.. If it comes down to it, I'll just have the hood and bumper repainted in a couple years..
Old 07-28-06, 11:31 AM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shinobi-X
I'd strongly suggest on getting one, so that you may avoid cost of labor and paint when attempting to fix/match colors in the future. Its up to you, but the paint on the 2IS just chips that easily.
I was thinking of getting one but Aero Tect is a 1.5/2 hour drive away from me. They seem to be the only ones that will do the entire hood and everyone in my area is too $$$$. I can't stand how most places don't cover the entire hood and if I can see lines, I won't get it. I can get my bumper refinished at the Lexus dealer I bought my car at for $275.
Old 07-28-06, 01:45 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Got an appt to have the clear bra put on my IS today.
I'll post my impressions later on tonite. To be continued . . .
Old 07-28-06, 03:50 PM
OutlawsX
Lead Lap

I did as well.. with Aerotect. Going to do the entire hood and the rest of the front..etc etc. Will take pictures and see if it's satisfactory for those that are still hesitant in getting it done. August 5th appointment.
Old 07-28-06, 06:54 PM
Pwyll
Driver

The most important thing to do is get a custom-cut bra. Not a pre-cut kit!! The reason a car would look like it has a big "sticker" on it is because it is pre-cut.

The guys who have done my cars (including my current IS350) are the best in the northeast. They stretch one piece of 3M film, wrap where they can (wheel wells, inside grill, trim, etc.) and hide any cuts that they can. I will post my photos of the before, during and after when I figure out how to re-size them. Even the headlamp washers were done.

Do yourself a favor and get a custom job. You won't regret it.
Old 07-28-06, 06:59 PM
stevejenn1
Rookie

Originally Posted by OutlawsX
I did as well.. with Aerotect. Going to do the entire hood and the rest of the front..etc etc. Will take pictures and see if it's satisfactory for those that are still hesitant in getting it done. August 5th appointment.

I'm considering Aerotect as well. I would like to see your pics and hear your thoughts once its done. thanks.
Old 07-28-06, 09:30 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Pwyll
The most important thing to do is get a custom-cut bra. Not a pre-cut kit!! The reason a car would look like it has a big "sticker" on it is because it is pre-cut.
That's total hogwash IMO. I'd like to see them custom cut HW and PA on film as they install it. There's no way the cuts are as clean and smooth as precut films.

Quick Reply: Clear Bra For IS