IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

XM Troubleshooting - need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-06, 07:06 AM
lifeisgood
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default XM Troubleshooting - need help

I have an IS250 with dealer (subcontracted) installed XM. I have the following problems which the installation shop told the dealer that they can't do anything about.

1) Steering wheel controls work for changing stations for AM/FM but do not work for XM stations.

2) Presets can be saved on SAT 1, SAT2 but not on SAT 3, because shop claims that they use the aux input for the XM radio. If so, does this mean I can't save presets on SAT3?

3) Artist and song title do not display on radio. Song title shows up where the artist name is supposed show up. Title displays the text "loading". I say this is not normal.

Anyone else with an XM dealer install care to comment on whether you have these problems?
Old 07-28-06, 07:25 AM
mariabee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lifeisgood, I have dealer-installed XM but don't have any of those problems! That's terrible. You should call the dealer and have them straighten it out, because that's not the way it should work. What a travesty to pay the subscription for XM and then have all that frustration. Good Luck!
Old 07-28-06, 04:31 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

My brother and I installed an OEM XM receiver in my IS.

1) My XM works fine and yes, I can change channels from the steering wheel mounted controls.
2) Presets can be saved on SAT 1,2 and 3.
3) Artist and song title will be displayed on the screen (at least on a navi equipped model) albeit, cut off. For some reason, they developed this system to only show you the first 6 or 7 characters of each.

Unless you have some sort of aftermarkeT set up, something is terribly wrong with your install. I would bring my car back and have them correct it. (AT NO EXTRA CHARGE!! )

Good luck!!
Old 07-28-06, 07:30 PM
CoasterG
Lead Lap

Seems like the XM unit that Lexus has uses the "old-style" chipset - the more recent chipsets displays 12+ characters (unsure of how many but I know its more than double the old amount) or its their controller chip that they use limiting the character display. I know all the more recent XM units (SkyFi2 and onward) have the expanded display plus other features.

I'm wondering how many characters the VAIS iPod+XM unit will show.
Old 07-28-06, 08:28 PM
blk06is350
Rookie

Sounds like you got an aftermarket interface of some sort. Was price an issue? Because the dealer installed piece is like $700 and an aftermarket is more like $300. I would suggest returning to the dealer and requesting the OEM piece even if it costs more if you want it to work perfectly.
Old 07-28-06, 10:02 PM
lifeisgood
Pole Position

This was a dealer installed option at a price of $695. From what I can tell, based on the empty packaging, they used an XM direct tuner (a small module designed for satellite ready radios) that was hooked up to the aux port/interface of the radio.

The dealer said that their subcontractor informed them that SAT 3 does not allow you to store presets when you are using the AUX port for XM. Sounds like BS to me. I asked if the dealer had any other cars with satellite radio on the lot to compare--unfortunately they did not. In any case, this does not explain why the steering wheel controls don't work or why the song title appears in the artist display and the title box says "loading". I'm so pissed.

Can I go to another Lexus dealer to have this looked at or will they say this was a dealer installed option and it is not covered under warranty?
Old 07-29-06, 04:58 AM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Sorry to say, but for $695, they should have installed the OEM XM receiver (which is made by Pioneer). I bought mine online from Sewell Lexus, and I think it came to $400. I work part time at Circuit City and I know for a fact that the XM direct receiver sells for about $69 (but definitely less than $100)

It sounds like a shady deal to me. I would bring it back and demand my money back. I don't think taking it to another dealer will do you any good. I think the only way they could fix it is to install the proper equipment.

I already have a SkyFi II that I use at my office and in my Integra, but I dished out another $400 and another $6 a month for service, just so that I could have the fully integrated XM unit without having to unplug this and that and control the thing from the glovebox etc.
Old 07-29-06, 06:37 PM
lifeisgood
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ecr527
Sorry to say, but for $695, they should have installed the OEM XM receiver (which is made by Pioneer). I bought mine online from Sewell Lexus, and I think it came to $400. I work part time at Circuit City and I know for a fact that the XM direct receiver sells for about $69 (but definitely less than $100)

It sounds like a shady deal to me. I would bring it back and demand my money back. I don't think taking it to another dealer will do you any good. I think the only way they could fix it is to install the proper equipment.

I already have a SkyFi II that I use at my office and in my Integra, but I dished out another $400 and another $6 a month for service, just so that I could have the fully integrated XM unit without having to unplug this and that and control the thing from the glovebox etc.
Interesting. Now I have something to question the dealer on. If they put in the wrong (cheap) part, it would help explain why the steering wheel controls don't work and the presets on Sat 3 don't work. One other question, where does the Pioneer unit plug into the radio. If it does not plug into the aux port (which is where they say mine is connected) then it is clear they used the wrong part. If so, I will be demanding my money back..

Also, could you provide me with the part number for the Pioneer unit. I looked on Sewell's sight but they did not list it.

Last edited by lifeisgood; 07-29-06 at 06:41 PM.
Old 07-29-06, 06:44 PM
conekiller
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lifeisgood
Interesting. Now I have something to question the dealer on. If they put in the wrong (cheap) part, it would help explain why the steering wheel controls don't work and the presets on Sat 3 don't work. One other question, where does the Pioneer unit plug into the radio. If it does not plug into the aux port (which is where they say mine is connected) then it is clear they used the wrong part. If so, I will be demanding my money back..

Also, could you provide me with the part number for the Pioneer unit. I looked on Sewell's sight but they did not list it.
Old 07-29-06, 08:13 PM
lifeisgood
Pole Position

Thanks, I'll take this to the dealer.
Old 07-30-06, 06:56 PM
vasco
Rookie

Originally Posted by lifeisgood

The OEM XM tuner is plug-and-play and installed in the trunk, passenger side, under the liner. Mounting and amp hook-up was quick; the longest task was removing and re-installing the liners. Per the instructions, the small antenna is installed on the trunk lid, though some have had luck placing it on the interior rear deck near the brake light.

Steering wheel controls fully function and I can store presets on SAT1 ,2 and 3.

Conekiller's part numbers match my XM tuner and install kit.
Old 10-04-06, 07:07 PM
lifeisgood
Pole Position

Default Update: Problem finally fixed --three trips to dealer!

After two trips and no resolution to the problem, I told my salesperson I was extremely dissapointed with their service department. In short, the salesperson was very apologetic; he got the service manager involved, and after a five minute meeting with the manager, my salesperson informed me that they would tear out the XM install and put in a new, fully Lexus compatible XM system. They gave me a loaner for a full week, and when I picked up the car, the new XM system was in, and (after activating the radio) it works perfectly--I have 18 presets, the steering wheel controls work, and song title and artist displays properly.

Thanks to all CL members who helped me diagnose and resolve this problem.