IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

remote start/ autostart

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-06, 09:49 AM
integlikew
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rys
I haven't had the opportunity to test this, but I think our cars MAY be able to start up without the key, just not shift.

I was having my front windows tinted today, and they tried to move the car without the key. Guy said he could start it but couldn't shift it out of park.

If that's true, an auto start module would only have to trigger the brake, then trigger the start button momentarily to start the vehicle.

I haven't had a chance to test this as I've had a very busy day. I may try to replicate this in the next few days.

-Brian
That doesnt work. You need the key. and i would think the modual would make the car easier to steal. Altho they claim it dont.
Old 08-06-06, 07:00 PM
dana_daen
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by c5mtl
Forget that...at a $1000 its crazy.....I found a bypass box for about $200 that lets u use almost any autostart u want while maintaining the factory security system
http://www.lexus-parts.com/partlist....22&ModelID=151

Look at the fourth key down.

How did you find out the cost of this was a g-note??
Old 08-07-06, 08:36 PM
lifeisgood
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by c5mtl
the bypass needed when using an aftermarket autostart....and yes u will need to use two remotes.....it beats pay $1000 for the oem one....as for the install ....any good autostart take 2 hours to install anyways

Two questions for you:

1) what do you think the all-in cost would be for this system (remotes, bypass box, remote starter, and install)?

2) I had an aftermarket remote starter in my prior car (Saturn) and it periodically threw codes--when my transmission failedt, the dealer had to rip out the remote starter in order to complete diagnostic tests. It cost me $500 to have it installed, plus another few hundred dollars in wasted diagnostic time. I don't know whether the install was poorly done to begin with or the unit was not fully compatible with GM. In any case, after that experience, I'm a bit leery of having after-market electronics installed in my car, especially a remote starter. That said, I would consider if some assurance could be provided that the unit is fully compatible.

Another trade-off I found with my prior after-market remote was that the security system was disabled when using the after-market key fob. If you locked your car with the orginal key fob, and then unlocked the car with your after-market remote starter key fob, as soon as you opened the door, the alarm would go off and you could not turn it off with the new remote-start key fob. (This was great fun whenever my wife decided to borrow the car and not tell me.)

If you plan to install this bypass kit and aftermarket remote in your Lexus, let us know if the system is truly compatible--it in your car, please let us know.

Last edited by lifeisgood; 08-19-06 at 07:45 PM.
Old 08-07-06, 10:18 PM
FrankyJ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dana_daen
http://www.lexus-parts.com/partlist....22&ModelID=151

Look at the fourth key down.

How did you find out the cost of this was a g-note??
been there a few months now, and no updates
Old 08-08-06, 12:01 AM
c5mtl
Rookie

Originally Posted by lifeisgood
Two questions for you:

1) what do you think the all-in cost would be for this system (remotes, bypass box, remote starter, and install)?

2) I had an aftermarket remote starter in my prior car (Saturn) and it periodically threw codes--when my transmission failedt, the dealer had to rip out the remote starter in order to complete diagnostic tests. It cost me $500 to have it installed, plus another few hundred dollars in wasted diagnostic time. I don't know whether the install was poorly done to begin with or the unit was not fully compatible with GM. In any case, after that experience, I'm a bit leery of having after-market electronics installed in my car, especially a remote starter. That said, I would consider if some assurance could be provided that the unit is fully compatible.

Another trade-off I found with my prior after-market remote was that the security system was disabled when using the after-market key fob. If you locked your car with the orginal key fob, and then unlocked the car with your after-market remote starter key fob, as soon as you opened the door, the alarm would stop working. (This was great fun whenever my wife decided to borrow the car and not tell me.)

If you plan to install this bypass kit and aftermarket remote in your Lexus, let us know if the system is truly compatible--it in your car, please let us know.
contact the vendor...the number is somewhere up above.....
Old 08-08-06, 01:22 AM
jcreech
Pole Position

first of all this is absolutely rediculous. The toyota camry has a remote start. Lexus got it all wrong with the lack of this feature.
Old 08-19-06, 07:35 AM
OK_Sooners
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jcreech
first of all this is absolutely rediculous. The toyota camry has a remote start. Lexus got it all wrong with the lack of this feature.
AMEN!! Should be a standard item and at the very least a option on a $40k+ car!
Old 09-27-06, 09:26 AM
FrankyJ
Lexus Test Driver

any updates?
Old 09-27-06, 10:04 AM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

doesn't look like it... everyone i've asked... dealers and such have no idea about remote start kits for the 2IS. i 'd only get one if they reprogrammed it so i would only have 1 key fob... 2 would be annoying to carry around.
Old 09-27-06, 01:46 PM
AZ JB
Advanced

In order to start the car your have to be depressing the brake pedal when pushing the start button. So wouldn't a remote start have to also bypass this "safety" feature so that the car thinks the brake pedal is being depressed?

Just wondering..
Old 09-27-06, 02:11 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah, it looks like to accomplish this would require a complete reflash/reprogramming of the ECM. To start the car, there are several conditions that must be met: Key INSIDE the cabin, brake pedal depressed while the start button is depressed, etc... I know the JDM spec has this feature, but I'm sure they have a totally different program in the ECM...

Javier

Last edited by javyLSU; 09-27-06 at 02:30 PM.
Old 09-27-06, 02:38 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Does the JDM model have an emobilizer? If I'm remembering correctly, the JDM S2000 didn't have one even though the USDM model did.
Old 09-27-06, 06:33 PM
hung8852
Pole Position

thats weird...when i picked up my is250awd, i asked for remote starter with alarm..and they installed it..i never knew it was a problem with the IS. mine works perfectly with the start button, no issue yet.
Old 09-27-06, 06:59 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Do you have one keyfob or two?

Javier
Old 09-27-06, 07:08 PM
skorpio
Driver

Why carry 2 fobs?? Just get a remote starter which triggers start procedure when you press lock button on original remote 3 times in a certain assigned time and BOOM, car starts. Thats what I have in my infiniti. Simple remote starter with this function, and bypass module. Thats what I will do before winter if the OEM wont be available. im waiting because that remote is just so damn kool!

Problem with 2 remotes solved!!

regards, Bart

Quick Reply: remote start/ autostart