IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

GPS Positioning problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-06, 11:07 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
I lock more than double the number of satellites since getting the new software. With the old software, I'd see between two and six, and only occasionally locked the four required to turn on the GPS indicator. With the new one, I see appx. eight (enough to run into the second column!), all of them locked.
I'm still shocked and disgusted at Denso (and Lexus) for releasing such a crappy nav software to everyone that owns a 2006 IS250/IS350... I mean, if you have a small bug, fine, like a climate control setting is not retained... That's fine... But how do you have a bug so major that the GPS signals don't lock!!?!!? That's the main function of the nav system!! How can you overlook that???

Another thing... The nav has these stupid warnings/popups for doing normal tasks, yet they let you eject the NAV DVD while the clock face is still in place without so much as even a "Are you sure you want to eject?" warning!!! WTF???

Denso firmware engineers for Lexus = Idiots

Lexus should take a hint from Acura or Infinity's nav system...
Old 12-27-06, 11:09 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bichon
Given that several people have damaged the panel, hazard button and other plastic trying to remove it, I wouldn't even attempt it unless you are experienced in removing automotive interiors.
Honestly, IMHO, even if you are experienced, I'd advise against doing it... It's a VERY bad design and you need special tools (rubber pry tool, padded tape) to do it properly...
Old 12-27-06, 11:10 AM
tangfish
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You totally have a point Technique. Funny, b/c looking back - the nav system was one of the main reasons I bought my Lexus. I loved the touchscreen and the interface. I had no idea that there would be actual problems with positioning and satellite signals! My other vehicle is an X5, and while the interface is plain and dated, it always works!
Old 12-27-06, 11:11 AM
tangfish
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Technique
Honestly, IMHO, even if you are experienced, I'd advise against doing it... It's a VERY bad design and you need special tools (rubber pry tool, padded tape) to do it properly...
Okay, I'll take your word for it. I have trouble putting together IKEA furniture so I'm not going near my car to mess with it.
Old 12-27-06, 11:13 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tangfish
Okay, I'll take your word for it. I have trouble putting together IKEA furniture so I'm not going near my car to mess with it.
Unless the service guy at your dealer is a total *****, he should give you the old disc back... Or, at the VERY least, if he's a jerk and won't let you have it, tell him that you want the old disc back for a few days, then he can have it back...
Old 12-27-06, 11:16 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tangfish
You totally have a point Technique. Funny, b/c looking back - the nav system was one of the main reasons I bought my Lexus. I loved the touchscreen and the interface. I had no idea that there would be actual problems with positioning and satellite signals! My other vehicle is an X5, and while the interface is plain and dated, it always works!
Agreed... A good nav is a huge factor in my decision to buy a car... I would not have bought the IS350 if I didn't know I could 100% hack the nav to work like Acura or Infinity...

Moving forward, I will NOT buy another Lexus if they further crippling the nav or make it any more difficult to hack... I'll just buy a car with a 100% working nav, even if it's not as nice as the Lexus... Sign me up for an acura, infinity, bmw, or mercedes...
Old 12-27-06, 11:23 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ecr527

They also told me that my car wouldn't play a store bought Santana DVD-audio disc because it's the wrong format. I didn't know there was more than one format.

For whatever reason, this particular DVD-A disc by Santana is not playing in my ML car. It won't play at all, just sits there...still working on trying to figure out why not.
Old 12-27-06, 11:23 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Technique
I'm still shocked and disgusted at Denso (and Lexus) for releasing such a crappy nav software to everyone that owns a 2006 IS250/IS350...
The only saving grace is that at least they got the hardware right.

But how do you have a bug so major that the GPS signals don't lock!!?!!? That's the main function of the nav system!! How can you overlook that???
Most people aren't even aware that the GPS functionality is dropping out, since the gyros and speed sensor usually do an excellent job of keeping the car accurately positioned on the map.

Another thing... The nav has these stupid warnings/popups for doing normal tasks, yet they let you eject the NAV DVD while the clock face is still in place without so much as even a "Are you sure you want to eject?" warning!!! WTF???
Agreed. And further, I don't understand why they couldn't engineer the clock panel on a hinge that it would flip up easily to allow access to the slot.
Old 11-19-07, 10:51 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A friend has had the same problem even after disc tsib upgrade. Dealer says it's his 20 percent tint, Anyone else being told that?

Also, I didn't scan this entire thread, but can someone remind me how to do the manual nav. recalibration?

Last edited by ES3; 11-19-07 at 04:31 PM.
Old 01-10-08, 06:41 PM
dabomb506
Driver School Candidate

sorry to gravedig but my 06 is250 started having this problem...

the only way for me to fix it would be to go home (saved point) and recalibrate it there. i do not see the words gps on the screen. is it not recalibrated right or something?

is there a simpler way to lock onto the satellite?

i will probably take it into the dealership if anything
Old 01-25-08, 12:11 AM
sclx
Rookie

I just played with the two tools from my toolkit in my IS350, and was prying on the red panel a bit, then I found the easy way. Just push the two tools all the way in until they don't go in any more, and the whole panel just falls out into your hand. You should not be prying at anything.

The two tools look like jewelers screwdrivers, but with blunt metal pins on the end. When you push them in all the way, each one will start to "point" toward the left and right sides of the car a bit (with the tool handles leaning in a bit toward the middle of the red panel). This is because it is pushing on two metal spring clips, which allows the panel to fall out. When done, the panel just pops back in.

I hope this helps someone as I spent over an hour trying to carefully pry the stupid thing off. Then I accidentally pushed both tools all the way in.
Old 01-25-08, 04:34 AM
slowandlow
Lead Lap

acording to the map my house is 3 doors to the soulth than it is. it realey makes me mad
Old 01-25-08, 05:22 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by slowandlow
acording to the map my house is 3 doors to the soulth than it is. it realey makes me mad
The digital maps don't have individual house numbers on them. The maps only indicate the range of addresses on a street (or section of a street), and the software makes the often incorrect assumption that they are evenly distributed along that street.

Last edited by Bichon; 01-25-08 at 05:31 AM.
Old 02-15-08, 07:32 PM
willang
Driver School Candidate

Default problems with gps position after rattle fix

After having my center dash rattle fixed with TSIB #NV003-06 2 weeks ago, my navigation would randomly show my location in the opposite direction and never recover. I have to recalibrate it each time and it will work for 50 miles before it screws up again. It seems that I am no longer getting any GPS signals.

Does anyone else have this issue?

I went into the service menu with the method described on page 9 and I see a "CHEK" besides NAVI and RADIO. The NAVI CHEK CODE is 58-60.

Furthermore, the "GPS info" menu did not show any signals acquired/locked even when I am driving and this is accessed through the "diagnostic menu" > "navigation system" > "GPS info".

Any ideas/suggestions? Could it be that the dealership unplug the wire for the gps antenna to the navi?

Thanks!
Old 02-16-08, 07:44 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by willang
After having my center dash rattle fixed with TSIB #NV003-06 2 weeks ago, my navigation would randomly show my location in the opposite direction and never recover.

-snip-

Could it be that the dealership unplug the wire for the gps antenna to the navi?
Yes, since you have an '07 (not affected by the software problem), it's likely the dealer unplugged or damaged the wire. I'd bring it back.

Quick Reply: GPS Positioning problem