IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

GPS Positioning problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-10, 08:27 AM
Nicelex13
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sr20mofo
I have an 06 and navi was working fine since day one even with nav hack which i did on day 2 up until now the navi was working flawlessly for 2.5yrs. Ive gone through all the pages and does anyone with nav hack gone in the dealer to have them fix this issue? Would they see that the nav hack has been done and note it on the cars history, and be a$$es and say its not covered since the hack was done and thats why the navi isnt working properly? I really dont want to revert the nav hack since it was a PITA.
I would also like to know about this...my nav has been working fine (decent, not 100%) for 4 years now...all of a sudden, my nav looses me EVERYWHERE! GPS has lock <5% of the time. it seems like this has happened more recent...is there a reason for that? i would think the antenna is loose, but then how would that explain the gps locking ~5% of the time?

Also, something else that i have noticed, which is quite unusual...my V1 has been acting quite funny lately...it shows K-Band everywhere....could be a coincidence...who knows.
Old 05-13-10, 06:12 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicelex13
I would also like to know about this...my nav has been working fine (decent, not 100%) for 4 years now...all of a sudden, my nav looses me EVERYWHERE! GPS has lock <5% of the time. it seems like this has happened more recent...is there a reason for that? i would think the antenna is loose, but then how would that explain the gps locking ~5% of the time?

Also, something else that i have noticed, which is quite unusual...my V1 has been acting quite funny lately...it shows K-Band everywhere....could be a coincidence...who knows.
Try unplugging your V1 completely and see if the GPS problem continues. If that does not solve the problem, plug the V1 back in and turn your nav off completely and see if the V1 still has K-Band everywhere.
Old 05-13-10, 08:08 AM
Nicelex13
Pole Position

its so weird...i actually disconnected the V1 about a week ago...I havent got a GPS LOCK at ALL...however, when i toggle the navi hidden menu, it shows about 7-8 Satellites...all either blank or with a T...none have P...so weird.
Old 05-13-10, 01:19 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

its so weird...i actually disconnected the V1 about a week ago...I havent got a GPS LOCK at ALL...however, when i toggle the navi hidden menu, it shows about 7-8 Satellites...all either blank or with a T...none have P...so weird.
Have you tried disconnecting the battery negative terminal for 5-10 minutes to reset the entire system?
Old 05-14-10, 11:31 AM
Peaches79
Rookie

Question

Mine has been doing the same thing for 3 months. Dealer says I have to buy the new disk and it will fix the problem...I am going to try to find it on ebay when i get around to it..the dealer wants WAAAAY too much for it..
Old 05-14-10, 11:36 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Peaches79
Mine has been doing the same thing for 3 months. Dealer says I have to buy the new disk and it will fix the problem...I am going to try to find it on ebay when i get around to it..the dealer wants WAAAAY too much for it..
I seriously doubt that a new disc will fix it.
Old 05-14-10, 12:25 PM
Nicelex13
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Technique
I think a new disk WILL in fact fix the problem IF he has an 06 that is eligible for the TSIB, due to the fact that a new disk has the "upgraded" software, enabling his nav to effectively "lock" onto satelights
Old 05-14-10, 12:40 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just to stir the pot a little.......recently a satellite was rendered into limp mode by what some suspect was a glazing hit of solar wind (cme). All of its trajectory functions have been disabled and the satellite has been drifting off orbit for some time now. They said the other day that it would be affecting cable subscribers because its orbit would be crossing into that of another satellite.

What if it wasnt the only satellite to sustain damage or its crossed into Toyota's nav sats?

in our technologically dependent world....thats something to consider. Especially since we are slated to have the worst solar weather since the GREAT solar storm of the late 1800's.

Exactly the same thing happened when solar storms triggered changes in Earth's magnetism, affecting thousands of miles of telegraph wires. Electrical currents induced by the changing fields often were so powerful that telegraphers didn't need battery power to send their information. Some operators were even treated to near-electrocution! Even the aurora borealis (which is usually seen in the artic circle) extended itself all the way down into the country of Mexico and further.

Just imagine if another solar storm like that hit us again today.........thats a sobering and society crashing thought.
Old 05-14-10, 12:50 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

I think a new disk WILL in fact fix the problem IF he has an 06 that is eligible for the TSIB, due to the fact that a new disk has the "upgraded" software, enabling his nav to effectively "lock" onto satelights
Doubt he has that particular firmware as he said "mine has been doing the same thing for 3 months". Unless he bought a used 2006 3 months ago that has never had functioning nav. His message implies that it was working fine until 3 months ago.
Old 05-14-10, 01:28 PM
Nicelex13
Pole Position

but to be honest, my 2006 nav was working "fine" (i.e. GPS lock ~70% of the time) and recently my gps has not had a lock at ALL 0%...
Old 05-14-10, 01:49 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

but to be honest, my 2006 nav was working "fine" (i.e. GPS lock ~70% of the time) and recently my gps has not had a lock at ALL 0%...
Yes, but I doubt that is the firmware.
Old 05-15-10, 05:04 AM
Nicelex13
Pole Position

how else could it possibly be explained? im open to hear suggestions...the hidden menu shows 5-7 satelights with no P...there is just no lock. I wonder why...????
Old 05-18-10, 11:26 AM
Peaches79
Rookie

Originally Posted by Technique
I've had the car for three years and up until three months ago it worked just fine. The dealer said its locking onto the satelites but claims the disk is bad (all of the sudden) they claim the new upgraded disk will fix the problem..I dont use the navi that much so it's not that much of an issue to get it fixed right now...
Old 06-14-10, 10:33 AM
Peaches79
Rookie

Just to update everyone..I just had the dealer replace my disk this past Saturday (they agreed to do it under warranty once I provided them with a copy of the TSIB report I found on line) and what do you know..the new disk fixed the problem. Nav works great now...
Old 06-16-10, 04:27 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Peaches79
Just to update everyone..I just had the dealer replace my disk this past Saturday (they agreed to do it under warranty once I provided them with a copy of the TSIB report I found on line) and what do you know..the new disk fixed the problem. Nav works great now...
Glad to hear the problem is fixed. Did you try pulling the negative terminal of the battery to rebooting the nav first though? That probably would have fixed it but hopefully they at least gave you the newest map (2010) disc! Although you lost the override now.