IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

GPS Positioning problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-06, 09:50 PM
Zephyr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any new info on this subject? I've had this happen 3 times already, and it's always where I'm at a place where I am totally not familiar with and 50 miles away from home or more. Recently I resetted the entire system myself, and it's been fine..but I rather not go out and venture to "test it out" and get lost again.... >_<
Old 10-26-06, 05:26 AM
Pete C
Driver School Candidate

As has previously been posted, Lexus is aware of the problem with the '06 nav, and has a software fix available. You should note that application of the software fix will eliminate the workaround to input destinations while in motion. I think it basically installs the '07 firmware with the '06 nav.
Old 10-26-06, 05:44 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pete C
As has previously been posted, Lexus is aware of the problem with the '06 nav, and has a software fix available. You should note that application of the software fix will eliminate the workaround to input destinations while in motion. I think it basically installs the '07 firmware with the '06 nav.
pardon me but do you have a link to this "previously been posted" post?
Old 10-26-06, 09:23 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

If the problem is caused by a software issue, why did my nav work absolutely flawlessly for over 8 months?
Old 10-26-06, 09:45 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kensteele
pardon me but do you have a link to this "previously been posted" post?
I'm not sure if this is what he's talking about, but here is a thread I started, relating to the issue:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...74#post2199574

here is another thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...53#post2202253
Old 10-26-06, 10:18 AM
r1lee
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

I can see that the issue has bee fixed, so hopefully i'm not hi-jacking it in anyway.

But my NAV on my 07 is probably the worst system i've seen within a car. There's a lag of anywhere from a few feet to a few meters sometimes. I drive under a freeway ramp, and as i go by, the nav screen shows me just gong under it. When I come up to a stop at a light, the positioning looks like it's about 6ft behind from where I actually am.

My Father in-law's 7 series and my buddy's TSX has no lag such as this. Is this typical? The Nav is just as good as my portable units!.
Old 10-26-06, 10:25 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by r1lee
I can see that the issue has bee fixed, so hopefully i'm not hi-jacking it in anyway.

But my NAV on my 07 is probably the worst system i've seen within a car. There's a lag of anywhere from a few feet to a few meters sometimes. I drive under a freeway ramp, and as i go by, the nav screen shows me just gong under it. When I come up to a stop at a light, the positioning looks like it's about 6ft behind from where I actually am.

My Father in-law's 7 series and my buddy's TSX has no lag such as this. Is this typical? The Nav is just as good as my portable units!.
I don't have another nav system to compare to, but the condition you're describing seems a bit worse than what I'm observing in my '06. Perhaps you'll want to explain what you're noticing to the dealer.
Old 10-26-06, 12:11 PM
Toyota_F1
Pole Position

Tic the box for me too, I started a new thread not catching that this one was about the same issue. Mine sounds nearly identical to Bichon except that mine has consistently gotten worse. I now only get GPS maybe 10% of the time. I haven't had a good signal of 4 Sats for 2-3 days now. Was told the same thing by the dealer, software fix on the way, but I find it unusual that mine worked just fine until this summer. I can hop into an IS250 or a GS that are about the same manufacture date as mine in the parking lot and have them right next to my car and they get 9 sats where I get maybe 2 or 3.

Quite frustrating. I'm reversing the DVD hack this weekend and I guess I'll check the wiring and make sure there's nothing loose but still.... Been driving me crazy for months now.
Old 10-26-06, 01:05 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Toyota_F1
Quite frustrating. I'm reversing the DVD hack this weekend and I guess I'll check the wiring and make sure there's nothing loose but still.... Been driving me crazy for months now.
While you have the unit out, I'd suggest pulling apart the plug that goes to the nav antenna and coating the contacts with a good contact enhancer (Stabilant 22 or Tweek are the best if you can find them).

I'm anxious to hear if oxidation/poor contact in the connector is the source of the problem.
Old 10-26-06, 01:53 PM
Toyota_F1
Pole Position

Yeah, I'll clean the contacts and double check them while it's out. I'll keep you posted if anything changes.
Old 10-26-06, 06:27 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

ok, great...i have been reading those other threads.

it is NOT a fact that Lexus is aware of the problem.
it is NOT a fact that the 06 nav has a problem.
it is NOT a fact that a software fix is available.

but i read the other threads and i understand the nature of the issue and the troubleshooting that is going on but i just didn't want anyone else to read this particular post and then sit in their 06 nav and believe their equipment has been acknowledged as defective by Lexus WHEN IT HASN'T BEEN.
Old 10-26-06, 08:41 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kensteele
ok, great...i have been reading those other threads.

it is NOT a fact that Lexus is aware of the problem.
it is NOT a fact that the 06 nav has a problem.
it is NOT a fact that a software fix is available.

but i read the other threads and i understand the nature of the issue and the troubleshooting that is going on but i just didn't want anyone else to read this particular post and then sit in their 06 nav and believe their equipment has been acknowledged as defective by Lexus WHEN IT HASN'T BEEN.
Well stated. BTW, have you had any/,many problems with your nav?
Old 10-26-06, 11:34 PM
DagsIS350
Driver School Candidate

My nav has been acting up as well. It's been flawless for about 5 months. It's weird and annoying. I've read all 6 pages of this thread...Does anyone have a true solution to this problem? I don't want to upgrade the disk unless I have to (losing the override feature is going to suck).
Old 10-27-06, 09:24 AM
viet658
Driver

Mine was acting up yesterday. This is the third or fourth time this has happened. I thought it was only affecting those with the nav hack but mine is stock and it still has that problem. Even when you turn the car off and on, the problem remains.
Old 10-27-06, 10:09 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by viet658
Mine was acting up yesterday. This is the third or fourth time this has happened. I thought it was only affecting those with the nav hack but mine is stock and it still has that problem. Even when you turn the car off and on, the problem remains.
Yeah, my problem is pre-hack as well. No problems since getting the upgrade, but I'm still searching for a way to override!

Quick Reply: GPS Positioning problem