IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

GPS Positioning problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-06, 12:15 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
The replacement DVD has nothing to do with recalibration, it simply updates the software in your navigation system to a version that is better able to lock onto the satellites. I haven't had a problem since the dealer replaced my disc, and noticed on the diagnostic screens that the system is able to see and lock about double the amount of satellites than it used to.
Will you still have the NAV override using the "volume" and touch the left 2 corner?
Old 12-22-06, 12:43 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by EBMCS03
Will you still have the NAV override using the "volume" and touch the left 2 corner?
Unfortunately, no. Since getting the updated disc, I've been using the voice recognition to enter destinations while driving.
Old 12-22-06, 01:30 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The replacement DVD has nothing to do with recalibration, it simply updates the software in your navigation system to a version that is better able to lock onto the satellites. I haven't had a problem since the dealer replaced my disc, and noticed on the diagnostic screens that the system is able to see and lock about double the amount of satellites than it used to.
Bichon = correct

There is no "recalibration", they just update the firmware to V1650 (V6.1 disc firmware)
Old 12-22-06, 01:37 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got my IS back the other day for the CEL-VSC light combo, but I also had them check out my navi since I had the same problem where the location it put me at was 5-10 miles off from where I actually was. They told me that there was nothing wrong with the navi system and that I probably just lost satellite signal.

They also told me that my car wouldn't play a store bought Santana DVD-audio disc because it's the wrong format. I didn't know there was more than one format.
Old 12-22-06, 01:47 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ecr527
I also had them check out my navi since I had the same problem where the location it put me at was 5-10 miles off from where I actually was. They told me that there was nothing wrong with the navi system and that I probably just lost satellite signal.
Refer them to TSB EL013-06, which describes the fix for your problem. After installing the updated disk detailed in the TSB, your problem will be history.
Old 12-23-06, 02:34 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Refer them to TSB EL013-06, which describes the fix for your problem. After installing the updated disk detailed in the TSB, your problem will be history.
Is this the "firmware" portion of the DVD? Do all current '07 ISX50's have this latest fix, encoded in the DVD disc?

Regarding DVD-A discs, I'm shocked there's more than one format??
Old 12-23-06, 04:04 AM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ES3
I'm not aware that there is, but that's what they told me. It reads and plays regular DVD's (movies) just fine.

I guess I'll mention the TSB the next time I bring the car back in for service. I haven't really experienced the problem lately, so I'm going to just watch it for now and see if it comes back up again.
Old 12-23-06, 05:45 AM
Tuxlex
Driver

Originally Posted by ES3
Is this the "firmware" portion of the DVD? Do all current '07 ISX50's have this latest fix, encoded in the DVD disc?

The update includes a firmware update for the navigation unit.
It is a firmware update that loads when the new disk is inserted.
The firmware is actualy a file called loading.kwi on the navigation
DVD. The updated loading.kwi is version 1650. It does not contain
the service override function. This function will be lost if you
have the dealer do the update for you. You can revert back to
the old version 1550 or version 1600 that provides this feature
by removing fuse TV1 for one minute and rebooting from your
old navigation DVD. Make sure your dealer gives you your old
disk back if you get the update.

All 07's have the version 1650 loading.kwi file. However, they
also contain the latest navigation data which are the maps.
If you get the update for your 06, your dealer will usualy not
give you the same disk that comes with 07. The update disk
still contains the older navigation data combined with the newer
version 1650 firmware.
Old 12-23-06, 06:22 AM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AsianGirl007
Mine doesnt recognize my home address and my building is old. It does recognize my front neighbor's address though. Go figure.
I had the same problem with my home address so I used my phone number, and it found my address! Weird.
Old 12-23-06, 06:24 AM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The is only one DVD-A format.
Old 12-23-06, 06:45 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Tuxlex
Make sure your dealer gives you your old
disk back if you get the update.
^^^^ This is VERY important as the TSB states for them to take your old disc and "destroy" it... ROFL... So ya, make sure you don't let them take it...
Old 12-23-06, 06:46 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by clubfoot
The is only one DVD-A format.
Correct, all DVD-A's play on our player... The dealer who told you there are multiple formats is smoking crack...
Old 12-23-06, 10:36 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ecr527
I guess I'll mention the TSB the next time I bring the car back in for service. I haven't really experienced the problem lately, so I'm going to just watch it for now and see if it comes back up again.
Don't watch for the map to show you in the wrong location. Instead, watch for the word "GPS" under the map scale indicator in the upper left quadrant of the screen to disappear. The GPS indicator should be present virtually all the time, except when the signal is blocked for an obvious reason, e.g., you are driving through a tunnel or a parking garage. When the GPS indicator is missing, it means that the nav system is calculating your position using gyroscopes and the speed sensor (dead reckoning). This 'backup' works amazingly well, but is essentially covering up the problem.

Originally Posted by Technique
^^^^ This is VERY important as the TSB states for them to take your old disc and "destroy" it... ROFL... So ya, make sure you don't let them take it...
I asked, but the dealer lied and told me that they had to return the old disc to Lexus. I briefly considered making a stink about it, but then realized that I didn't want to run that old software anyway, and run the risk that it would let me down when I needed it most. If I find that I really miss the override badly enough, I'll install the hardware solution as you did.
Old 12-23-06, 12:51 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

I asked, but the dealer lied and told me that they had to return the old disc to Lexus. I briefly considered making a stink about it, but then realized that I didn't want to run that old software anyway, and run the risk that it would let me down when I needed it most. If I find that I really miss the override badly enough, I'll install the hardware solution as you did.
Well, hopefully if the override sequence is still accessible in the V6.1 DVD we'll find it sooner rather than later...

For the record, in the non-touch screen version of the toyota denso navigation, the V6.1 DVD (Same as ours) DOES have an override... But you need to use the joystick to access it... So they did not remove it from V6.1 in that toyota model... Makes me think the override is still in there, just a different location...
Old 12-26-06, 09:39 PM
tangfish
Driver School Candidate

Where do you all get these DVDs to update your systems? Do you just get them in the mail automatically? I have an 06 IS350 that is a year old. I have recently gotten a lot of problems with the Nav, I guess it was not getting good sat signal and lately I just put new wheels/tires on it and made the problem *much* worse.

Do I just call the dealer to get my update disc, or can I download it online?

Quick Reply: GPS Positioning problem