Voters: 454. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Speeding Tix (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-06, 12:17 PM
sab504
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
Yup, "those bastards". Good for nothing bastards.

I wonder if you'd be saying the same thing if one of "those bastards" saved your life? Or nabbed the guy that molested your 8 year old daughter? How about if one of "those bastards" took a bullet in the chest to protect one of your family members?

Think about that before you start mouthing off about cops. Try showing some respect for the people that are prepared, at any moment, to put their own life on the line to protect yours.
Hey everyone is entitled to their own opinion. There are good cops and bad cops. I have experience with the cops from my state and many of them aren't the angel you make em out to be. Its their job to serve and protect. Thats what they get paid to do. I get a ticket for going over 5 miles, I'm pretty sure thats not their main duty. So before you go around preaching, you should look at yourself in the mirror and sock yourself in the face.

Last edited by PhilipMSPT; 08-07-06 at 07:02 AM.
Old 08-04-06, 01:45 PM
MCLAREN369
Driver School Candidate

Watch this....

Speed Limit

It quite old but shows you the problem with limits.
Old 08-04-06, 04:04 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MCLAREN369
Watch this....

Speed Limit

It quite old but shows you the problem with limits.
That video shows you NOTHING...but stupidity. Has nothing to do with speed limits. I'm gonna believe that kinda crap from kids? C'mon....
Old 08-05-06, 01:07 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
Yup, "those bastards". Good for nothing bastards.

I wonder if you'd be saying the same thing if one of "those bastards" saved your life? Or nabbed the guy that molested your 8 year old daughter? How about if one of "those bastards" took a bullet in the chest to protect one of your family members?

Think about that before you start mouthing off about cops. Try showing some respect for the people that are prepared, at any moment, to put their own life on the line to protect yours.
as much as you disagree, that doesn't give you the right to use the type of language you used. please watch it.

Last edited by PhilipMSPT; 08-07-06 at 07:02 AM.
Old 08-05-06, 06:12 AM
lifeisgood
Pole Position

I respect the police and their willingness to put their lives on the line to protect us and our families from criminals. I also look for the police to go after reckless drivers, drunk drivers, people who run red lights and those who speed in residential areas. But when it comes to interstate highways, many of which were engineered to have cars operate at much higher speeds, I think I'm a much better judge at how fast I am capable of driving. Personally, I think many interstate roads, except perhaps in very congested areas should have no speed limits, just like the German Autobahn.

I'd rather see the police spending their time on higher priority activities like going after hard core criminals than enforcing than going after people who speed on highways. Another dumb law, in my opinion is the click it or ticket. A waste of time. I wear a seatbelt but if someone is stupid enough not to, that's their choice. Why waste police resources on this?
Old 08-05-06, 07:37 AM
tgara
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lifeisgood
I respect the police and their willingness to put their lives on the line to protect us and our families from criminals. I also look for the police to go after reckless drivers, drunk drivers, people who run red lights and those who speed in residential areas. But when it comes to interstate highways, many of which were engineered to have cars operate at much higher speeds, I think I'm a much better judge at how fast I am capable of driving. Personally, I think many interstate roads, except perhaps in very congested areas should have no speed limits, just like the German Autobahn.

I'd rather see the police spending their time on higher priority activities like going after hard core criminals than enforcing than going after people who speed on highways. Another dumb law, in my opinion is the click it or ticket. A waste of time. I wear a seatbelt but if someone is stupid enough not to, that's their choice. Why waste police resources on this?
What YOU think about YOUR driving is completely irrelevant. The police are there to enforce the laws, not make them. If you're going over the posted limit or otherwise not complying with the laws, you are in violation and can be cited. Its as simple as that. Nobody cares if you "think" you can drive faster.

Now, if you have a problem with the laws themselves (eg, seatbelt laws or speed limits), tell it to your legislative representative. The legislature makes the laws, so complain to them about it. But don't blame the cops for doing their jobs.
Old 08-05-06, 03:55 PM
lifeisgood
Pole Position

Smile

Originally Posted by tgara
What YOU think about YOUR driving is completely irrelevant. The police are there to enforce the laws, not make them. If you're going over the posted limit or otherwise not complying with the laws, you are in violation and can be cited. Its as simple as that. Nobody cares if you "think" you can drive faster.

Now, if you have a problem with the laws themselves (eg, seatbelt laws or speed limits), tell it to your legislative representative. The legislature makes the laws, so complain to them about it. But don't blame the cops for doing their jobs.
I'm sure your well intended, but I'll think for myself, thank you--I could care less about you telling me what I should do; this is a forum to express ideas and opinions in a collegial way and to share information.

I had one ticket in 20 years, so I'm not advocating that people act recklessly, but drive within safe limits that the roads were designed for--and I'm not blaming the cops--they have a job to do; I just think that in some cases speed enforcement is a waste of resources. Apparently, Germany agrees. Until the speed limits change, I'll keep my Valentine on.

Just worry about yourself; you sound like you have serious control issues. By the way, have you ever driven over the speed limit? Then turn yourself in. Have a nice day.
Old 08-05-06, 07:28 PM
tgara
Pole Position

I'm sure your well intended, but I'll think for myself, thank you--I could care less about you telling me what I should do; this is a forum to express ideas and opinions in a collegial way and to share information.

I had one ticket in 20 years, so I'm not advocating that people act recklessly, but drive within safe limits that the roads were designed for--and I'm not blaming the cops--they have a job to do; I just think that in some cases speed enforcement is a waste of resources. Apparently, Germany agrees. Until the speed limits change, I'll keep my Valentine on.

Just worry about yourself; you sound like you have serious control issues. By the way, have you ever driven over the speed limit? Then turn yourself in. Have a nice day.
On your first point about expressing ideas, I am expressing mine and disagreeing with your point of view. I don't understand why you feel offended. Is your argument so weak that it cannot take a challenge?

At any rate, you missed the point of my post. It's NOT about thinking for yourself, and its not a personal attack on you. Its about obeying the law. When I said nobody cares what you think, I meant that law enforcement or the courts don't care if you think you can drive over the limit. This issue from a law enforcement standpoint is very simple. You drive over the limit, you get a ticket because thats what the law says. End of story. And if you are "not blaming the cops", who are you blaming?

You obviously think the law should be changed. Great, go tell your representatives in the legislature that there needs to be another system because you can drive safely over the limit. If you can gather a majority of people who want to do that, you can affect a change in the laws. Or get yourself elected to the legislature and push a bill through. That's the way the system works. I'm talking about the process here, so stop taking comments so personally.
Old 08-05-06, 07:41 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

You say you have been driving for 20 years so that makes you 35+ year old.

C'mon, man. C'mon...you can't be serious.
Old 08-05-06, 07:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

ok i dont' see this going anywhere, bet thing is to put it to rest
Old 08-06-06, 07:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

i am reopening this thread per poster's request. but i don't want to see any finger pointing between people anymore. if you have something to say, take it to pm, we don't need to see them here. and keep things on topic or i will take further actions.

thanks
Old 08-06-06, 09:39 PM
sdpq
Driver

Smile

thanks for making it an active thread.
Old 08-07-06, 03:44 AM
808is250
Driver School Candidate

got 1 ticket the first week of buying IS. illegal left turn. before buying 2IS fot 14 tickets in one month (pulled over twice)
Old 08-07-06, 06:48 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

I'd rather see the police spending their time on higher priority activities like going after hard core criminals than enforcing than going after people who speed on highways.
They do go after the criminals, and I'm pretty sure that (and accidents on the street) take priority over stopping people for doing 40 in a 30 zone. The thing to remember, however, is that issuing tickets plays a part in generating revenue for "the system". Without that, you can bet your state income taxes and/or property taxes would be higher. Look at it this way: by keeping your nose clean and not getting speeding tickets, you just gave yourself a nice tax break.
Old 08-07-06, 08:16 PM
lifeisgood
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ff_
They do go after the criminals, and I'm pretty sure that (and accidents on the street) take priority over stopping people for doing 40 in a 30 zone. The thing to remember, however, is that issuing tickets plays a part in generating revenue for "the system". Without that, you can bet your state income taxes and/or property taxes would be higher. Look at it this way: by keeping your nose clean and not getting speeding tickets, you just gave yourself a nice tax break.
You're right, and because it's used for revenue generation on many secondary roads, this is where I find cruise control to be most valuable.

Quick Reply: Poll: Speeding Tix (merged threads)