IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

black 2is owners.. paint soft?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-06 | 07:53 PM
silversx
Driver

Default black 2is owners.. paint soft?

man this lexus black paint is killing me..

its like tofu!! scratches so easy.. if you park your car under a flourecent lights.. do you see scratches everywhere.. ones you can't see normally??

and also bird poop leaves a cloudy milky haze right where the poop was.. that is so weak.. it was only on the paint for like a day.. i don't know what acid the bird that got me was eating.. it must have swallowed a lemon or something

Old 07-31-06 | 07:54 PM
Dj Rando
Pole Position

DUDE I HAVE SPENT SO MUCH MONEY ON MY CAR TO KEEP THE PAINT LOOKING GOOD> ANNOYING!
Old 07-31-06 | 07:55 PM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

i hear you, i have had the car buffed twice, looks better but its not showroom anymore.......in fact it came like that from the dealer. it looks fine from a distance and under normal circumstances but like the OP said under certain lighting you can see every imperfection. I just have had to ignore it.....

but it sucks, it scratches so easily
Old 07-31-06 | 07:57 PM
c5mtl
Rookie

total bullcrap...the paint is so soft...i think the whole front end should be protected with a clear bra.....when i take this thing back at the end of the lease they better not *****
Old 07-31-06 | 08:01 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Same here only with a different 04 Lexus. The paint is very soft, chips easy, and etches easy from bird poop. I noticed this the first week we got our new Lexus back in 03. I had rock chips within the first couple of days. I don't think it is just black paint either since our car is not black.
Old 07-31-06 | 08:08 PM
silversx
Driver

Originally Posted by Dj Rando
DUDE I HAVE SPENT SO MUCH MONEY ON MY CAR TO KEEP THE PAINT LOOKING GOOD> ANNOYING!

same here.. i spent a lot.. its like i'm a pro detailer.. not to mention the hours and hours of work i put in..

my parents and girlfriend think im crazy not to mention the "wtf" look my neighbors have when they see me washing the car.. again

its hard to enjoy this car when the paint leaves you so unsatisfied all the time!
Old 07-31-06 | 08:13 PM
Redpaste
Lead Lap

I have black as well, very hard to keep clean, but using Zaino has done wonders in hiding fine scratches and removing swirl marks. If it wasn't for Zaino I would not be able to enjoy this car.
Old 07-31-06 | 08:21 PM
Torii
Intermediate

isnt zaino like a 30 step detailed process...

do they have something fast and simple like turtle ice or nxt tech?
Old 07-31-06 | 08:25 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 1M

I have the same paint related issues with my black IS as well
Old 07-31-06 | 08:29 PM
silversx
Driver

Originally Posted by Redpaste
I have black as well, very hard to keep clean, but using Zaino has done wonders in hiding fine scratches and removing swirl marks. If it wasn't for Zaino I would not be able to enjoy this car.

but the idea is not have to hide/remove scratches/swirls in the first place..

its not like our cars are years old where swirls and scratches add up..

it's bs!! any of you have hazy marks or etching from bird doodoo??
Old 07-31-06 | 08:46 PM
Cali_Girl
Pole Position

My previous Lexus (black ES300) had the same paint problem. Being black, chips, dents, everything were very visible. Over the years, I've got used to it and with my new IS, I don't expect a clean car.

You should try touchless car wash at the Chevron stations. It doesn't make your car super clean but at least it get most of the dirt, grinds and bird poops. I do that at every fill ups.
Old 07-31-06 | 08:49 PM
silversx
Driver

Originally Posted by lexie2006
My previous Lexus (black ES300) had the same paint problem. Being black, chips, dents, everything were very visible. Over the years, I've got used to it and with my new IS, I don't expect a clean car.

You should try touchless car wash at the Chevron stations. It doesn't make your car super clean but at least it get most of the dirt, grinds and bird poops. I do that at every fill ups.
does every chevron have that?? do they use deionized what that leave no spots??

thanks
Old 07-31-06 | 08:51 PM
KevinL
Rookie

Originally Posted by Dj Rando
I don't know how long you guys have been around cars but it is an age old issue with black paint. Black is extremely hard to keep clean and you can see every little imperfection possible in the paint, especially under direct light and swirl marks are the biggest pet peeve with owners of black cars. I can't believe that this is as big of thread as it is. It's just common car knowledge. Go look at any black car in any parking lot you find and see how it looks.

No matter who manufactures the car black paint is the hardest to keep looking nice! Haven't you ever heard anybody say "I'll never own an black car again"?

Also if you check any other car forumfrom Acura to Volkswagen you will see the same question asked with people proclaiming that their make of car has the softest, crappiest paint.

I had a black '00 SS Camaro with 30+ coats of Zaino and while it looked killer most of the time as soon as you saw it in harsh, direct sunlight it looked like crap!

Next time you won't buy black.

BTW, When you wax your black car avoid waxing in a circular motion, instead go in a back-and-fourth direction on the top surfaces and up-and-down on vertical surfaces. This will help minimize swirl marks.
Old 07-31-06 | 08:56 PM
silversx
Driver

Originally Posted by KevinL
I don't know how long you guys have been around cars but it is an age old issue with black paint. Black is extremely hard to keep clean and you can see every little imperfection possible in the paint, especially under direct light and swirl marks are the biggest pet peeve with owners of black cars. I can't believe that this is as big of thread as it is. It's just common car knowledge. Go look at any black car in any parking lot you find and see how it looks.

No matter who manufactures the car black paint is the hardest to keep looking nice! Haven't you ever heard anybody say "I'll never own an black car again"?

Also if you check any other car forumfrom Acura to Volkswagen you will see the same question asked with people proclaiming that their make of car has the softest, crappiest paint.

I had a black '00 SS Camaro with 30+ coats of Zaino and while it looked killer most of the time as soon as you saw it in harsh, direct sunlight it looked like crap!

Next time you won't buy black.

BTW, When you wax your black car avoid waxing in a circular motion, instead go in a back-and-fourth direction on the top surfaces and up-and-down on vertical surfaces. This will help minimize swirl marks.
i know black is hard to keep clean.. but my issue with the paint is how easily it scratches.. i use 2 bucket system to wash.. with lamb wool mitt and waffle weave mf towels to dry.. every towel that ever touches the car is quality microfiber.. the car has 600 miles on it.. it just should not have that many fine scratches

and whats the deal with bird doodoo etching into the clear so deep so fast
Old 07-31-06 | 08:58 PM
Cali_Girl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by silversx
does every chevron have that?? do they use deionized what that leave no spots??

thanks

I know of two Chevrons with the touchless car wash.... one on Colorado Blvd in Pasadena (I go to this one) and another in Baldwin Park near Longo Lexus. I'm sure if you check the Chevron website, you can locate one with the touchless wash. They use pressure wash. $6.99 for basic wash, $7.99 for deluxe, and $8.99 for extreme. Extreme include the hub wash.

Quick Reply: black 2is owners.. paint soft?