IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS 250's manual tranny

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-06, 08:59 AM
Pittdawg
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS 250's manual tranny

I don't know ish about it so someone please enlighten me. First what does Lexus call it, i.e. what is it's official designation? Is it purely a Toyota tranny "borrowed" for the 250? If so, what Toyota vehicles is it found on?

All in all it's pretty sloppy for a Lexus tranny, second gear is a rough shift almost everytime and the clutch shudder is pretty pathetic. But with that said it does seem to extract the most power out of our little engines. I'm hoping to get some info on this tranny b/c if it is an older Toyota tranny their may already exist some upgrades, thanks.
Old 08-01-06, 09:12 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

i heard it was an existing toyota tranny, not sure what model it came from
Old 08-01-06, 10:48 AM
06LexIS
Driver

I spoke to one of the techs at the Lexus of Pleasanton when I was complaining about my tranny issues, we went for a test drive so he can hear my tranny noises from 1st-2nd and he told me that this manual tranny came from the Supra 6 speed, different gear ratios.

He also told me that the Toyota Tacoma TRD 6 SPD has the same tranny with different gear ratios/clutch assembly.
my .02 cents..
Old 08-01-06, 12:24 PM
Pittdawg
Driver

Originally Posted by 06LexIS
I spoke to one of the techs at the Lexus of Pleasanton when I was complaining about my tranny issues, we went for a test drive so he can hear my tranny noises from 1st-2nd and he told me that this manual tranny came from the Supra 6 speed, different gear ratios.

He also told me that the Toyota Tacoma TRD 6 SPD has the same tranny with different gear ratios/clutch assembly.
my .02 cents..
Interesting, I would love to find out a definitive answer. On another note, what were your complaints to the tech and what if anything did they do for you?
Old 08-01-06, 02:22 PM
Pittdawg
Driver

Wikipedia lists only two 6 speed manual trannies that Toyota uses, both from the Toyota Supra and both supplied by Getrag. There reference #'s are V160 and V161, which appear substantially similar with different gear ratios.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_V_transmission

If these were used on the Supra turbos, I call B.S. on Lexus claiming this tranny can't handle the torque of the 350.
Old 08-01-06, 02:25 PM
06LexIS
Driver

Nothing yet in terms of a fix, I was complaining about notchiness in 2nd gear, tranny noises at low speeds and the clutch engaging way to late. I asked if I can change to synthetic oil, they told me as long as it's a GL-5, they will be no issues. On my next oil change, I will swap to a synthetic tranny oil.
That's all.
Old 08-01-06, 05:29 PM
johnnyboy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from what i heard.. the manual tranny is the tranny from the thundra or something.
Old 08-01-06, 05:33 PM
Pittdawg
Driver

My research leads me to believe it is the tranny from the Supra. Here is some specs on it:

http://mkiv.supras.org.nz/techo.htm#GETRAG_SPECS

From the description of the noises and the way it acts, I'm almost certain that's our tranny.
Old 08-01-06, 08:03 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have a 250, but I've had lots of experience with notchy manuals. The absolute best tranny oil I've ever found was GM Synchromesh Friction Modified. I've tried LOTS of more "exotic" oils, but this one ROCKED! BTW, make sure it is "Friction Modified", since the regular GM Synchromesh was just mediocre. I had to try several GM dealers (Chevy, Cadillac, etc.) before finding it.
Old 08-02-06, 02:42 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,963 Likes on 2,400 Posts

It's the RA62. It has only one thing in common with the Getrag 233 found in the TT Supra. They both have 6 forward gears and one reverse gear. Nothing else is common or even similar. Your tech in Pleasanton is talking out his rear end. The Tacoma uses the RA60, not the RA62. They are practically identical inside according to the service manuals.

I've rebuilt two of the Getrags and have posted pics of the internals with a link in another thread. I looked up the RA62 in TIS, and I made certain there are no internal similarities. There are none. I could go into extensive detail, but suffice it to say the designs are only similar in gear count. Nothing else.

[EDIT] I looked a little deeper into the RA62 - it isn't even in the same class as the 233. It probably couldn't take the torque of the 2GR-FSE for long. It's far from a stellar design. Too complicated, too many choices for complexity over simplicity. The 233 is a very simple design, the RA62 looks like a typical Toyota design - OK for stock power, but not a brute by any means.[/EDIT]

Last edited by lobuxracer; 08-02-06 at 02:54 AM.
Old 08-02-06, 07:20 AM
sailing217
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 06LexIS
I was complaining about notchiness in 2nd gear, tranny noises at low speeds and the clutch engaging way to late.
This will be the same statement I'll be making to Lexus at my 5k interval. I just don't like the feeling of this clutch. Granted the car I ordered engages half way which is way better then the test driven car where it engaged 90% of the clutch travel--way too high.

I would think this is the same clutch on the Camry 6-speed 4 cylinder, can anyone verify? God forbid if this thing is used in the Corolla. I had a Celica 15 years ago and the clutch feels pretty much the same. Not a good thing for a Lexus over twice the cost and over a decade later!

I'm not going to get rid of the car for the way the clutch feels, but if the car got replaced, it would not be with a MT, or even a 250 for that matter. IMO, only the 350 is acceptable with paddle shifters. When the clutch does go, I'll be looking for aftermarket for sure. Maybe shorten the throws and lighten the clutch componets.
Old 08-02-06, 08:27 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Have you checked to see if the clutch pedal is adjustable? If it is a hydraulic unit, then the pushrod between the master cylinder and pedal is probably adjustable. If it is a cable actuated clutch, then the cable linkage is probably adjustable.
Old 08-02-06, 09:07 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Honda makes the best MT trannys.
Old 08-02-06, 09:14 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
Honda makes the best MT trannys.
Retrofitting a Honda tranny into an IS would be a sereous challenge! LOL

Actually, I've had 7 Hondas (3 Civics, Accord, Integra, TL, S2000), and I never thought their transmissions were that great. My TL had 3 trannys in 90K miles, and 2nd gear in the S2000 was problematic for everyone.
Old 08-02-06, 09:17 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gernby
Retrofitting a Honda tranny into an IS would be a sereous challenge! LOL

Actually, I've had 7 Hondas (3 Civics, Accord, Integra, TL, S2000), and I never thought their transmissions were that great. My TL had 3 trannys in 90K miles, and 2nd gear in the S2000 was problematic for everyone.
Well I have an 96 acura integra gs-r now. 150k miles original clutch, tranny has been phenomenal.

Lots of people (not saying you) that have tranny problems abuse their car and do not know how to drive a mt properly.

Quick Reply: IS 250's manual tranny