IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Samsung A-900 compatible?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-06, 04:19 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Samsung A-900 compatible?

I am about to switch to Sprint and get the Samsung A-900. I was just wondering if anyone on here has hooked that phone up to the bluetooth and if they did, was everything functional. (Ex. Battery meter and signal strength) Also, did the phone book transfer over via bluetooth? TIA.
Old 08-01-06, 05:22 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never checked out everything else (like signal strength, battery meter, etc while I doubt will work) but the A900 will place and receive calls that I have tried. Haven't tried the phonebook either, sorry.
Old 08-01-06, 05:28 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kensteele
I've never checked out everything else (like signal strength, battery meter, etc while I doubt will work) but the A900 will place and receive calls that I have tried. Haven't tried the phonebook either, sorry.
Cool, thanks for the reply. At least I know the phone will work...
Old 08-01-06, 06:11 PM
Heltah
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That model isnt listed so I would assume that even if the phone works
there would be limited capabilities.

http://lexusbluetooth.letstalk.com/p...iew=1&model=IS
Old 08-01-06, 06:24 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Heltah
That model isnt listed so I would assume that even if the phone works
there would be limited capabilities.

http://lexusbluetooth.letstalk.com/p...iew=1&model=IS
Thanks for that site, I actually found it on there.
http://lexusbluetooth.letstalk.com/b...htm?prId=29999
Old 08-01-06, 08:11 PM
Mickeyc001
Driver School Candidate

I have two Samsung A-900 phones with Sprint. One's my wife's, the other is mine. We have had both of them linked to our IS350 since November of last year, when we got the phones and the car. They work flawlessly. I do not really use the phone number storage cabilities all that much, but I do have a few important numbers stored there. I mainly use the phone number storage in the phones themselves. Anyway, the short of it is, yes the phone works with this car quite well for making and receiving calls. I could not be happier!
Old 08-01-06, 08:34 PM
Wests
Lead Lap

Ive got the A-900 aswell and im having issues with it. It connects just fine, calls can be received and made but, I keep getting phantom phone calls! what I mean is, the car rings and displays on the nav screen like its receiving a call even though no one is actually calling my phone. it keeps doing this until i manually disconnect the phone from the car. Anyone know what's goin on? should i take it to the dealer?
Old 08-01-06, 09:17 PM
MNguyen281
Driver School Candidate

Any phone should be able to make and receive calls through the car's bluetooth system - it's the same as using a bluetooth headset. as for the phonebook, some may automatically transfer over, but you can always manually send your contacts over bluetooth. what I had to do with my nokia N80 was select all my contacts on my phone and send it over bluetooth to the car, and it works fine. the only things that don't work are signal strength and battery, but i haven't seen it work with anything.
Old 08-01-06, 09:32 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MNguyen281
Any phone should be able to make and receive calls through the car's bluetooth system - it's the same as using a bluetooth headset. as for the phonebook, some may automatically transfer over, but you can always manually send your contacts over bluetooth. what I had to do with my nokia N80 was select all my contacts on my phone and send it over bluetooth to the car, and it works fine. the only things that don't work are signal strength and battery, but i haven't seen it work with anything.
that is the essence of it but it is a little bit more complex than that. which is why we have a list of compatible handsets and why everyone always asks. because bt involve profiles and without those profiles (or when they are done incorrect), those different aspects that you mentioned (phonebook all, phonebook one by one, make/receive, signal strength/battery meter, etc) don't work.
Old 08-01-06, 09:34 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Wests
Ive got the A-900 aswell and im having issues with it. It connects just fine, calls can be received and made but, I keep getting phantom phone calls! what I mean is, the car rings and displays on the nav screen like its receiving a call even though no one is actually calling my phone. it keeps doing this until i manually disconnect the phone from the car. Anyone know what's goin on? should i take it to the dealer?
try upgrading the software in your phone (i believe the "update phone" feature is in the tools menu). the a900 is capable of firmware update over the air so you can do this tonight from the comfort of your home. hopefully that will help.
Old 08-01-06, 09:54 PM
aarya
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Wests

The phantom phone call issue is an issue with your phone's firmware, not because of the ISx50; you can consult www.sprintusers.com for more info. There have been many people experiencing that issue with bluetooth headsets as well.

As for the A900 working.... it works great!!! It's not on the Lexus approved "Cell Phone Compatiblity List," which concerned me when I first purchased the car but it DOES work. However, you will not get supplemental phone info such as signal strength, battery life, and caller id info for numbers not stored in the phonebook of the ISx50. As a side note when a call comes in as caller id blocked/unknown it will display your cell phone's number on the screen which was strange the frist time I saw it.

Now for the phonebook transfer... you can transfer them only by individual contacts one by one with that phone. But you can't transfer the entire phonebook at once with one button push (kind of annoying). So I actually found it faster to entire the phone book numbers manually into the car.

Again many of the issues associated with the phone is not a Lexus issue it's a Sprint/Samsung issue. I would refer to the website above. People have been complaining about some of its limitations even though it supports bluetooth. Hopefully they will come up with a firmware that may make some of these features work.
Old 08-01-06, 10:02 PM
MNguyen281
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kensteele
that is the essence of it but it is a little bit more complex than that. which is why we have a list of compatible handsets and why everyone always asks. because bt involve profiles and without those profiles (or when they are done incorrect), those different aspects that you mentioned (phonebook all, phonebook one by one, make/receive, signal strength/battery meter, etc) don't work.
sorry if i was being vague - but that's what I meant. If your phone supports the bluetooth handsfree profile - if it works with a bluetooth wireless headset, then it will at the very least work making and receiving calls with your car system.
Old 08-01-06, 10:03 PM
MNguyen281
Driver School Candidate

the phonebook in the car is completely independent from your phone also. you can use the phone with your car without importing any contacts - when someone calls their number will show up on the screen. you can import all your contacts to your car and change phones - the contact list will stay the same.
Old 08-01-06, 10:11 PM
yov6cam
Driver

the phantom ring can be solved by upgrading your software to ZB12, do it at the Sprint store. I also recommend getting Sprint's voice command feature, its a great service. Plus you can make calls while moving just by speaking the name, no nav hack needed.
Old 08-01-06, 11:53 PM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Payam
I am about to switch to Sprint and get the Samsung A-900. I was just wondering if anyone on here has hooked that phone up to the bluetooth and if they did, was everything functional. (Ex. Battery meter and signal strength) Also, did the phone book transfer over via bluetooth? TIA.

simply put yes it works very well. no signal strength or battery meter. you get the 2 blue arcs showing the bt connection. personally I am strongly considering the new treo 700p but havent heard anything about bluetooth compatibility with that phone yet. I DO own the a900. its my second since the first one stopped connecting automatically for some reason but the current one works very well with the 350.

Quick Reply: Samsung A-900 compatible?