IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

VSC off Button

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-06, 09:03 PM
lifeisgood
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aside from customer complaints, I have another theory. One of the car magazines did a road test of the IS against the 3 series and the IS lost on the slalom course because of the VSC. When the VSC is turned off, I think the IS may be faster than the 3. If you can turn VSC off with a switch, then comparisons might be a bit more representative of the car's true capabilities. And then the car magazines will be hard pressed to find objective reasons to rate the IS lower on handling. And then Lexus can order a gazillion reprints of the head to head test which shows how the IS beat the pants off the BMW. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.
Old 08-02-06, 11:47 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by pocky
Is this foreal? Found this off the Japanese IS Owners webpage. VSC off button on a IS250??

The button is darker then the rest. Anyone in Japan care to share?
"
If you notice...there are alot of suble changes that Toyota & Lexus are doing as far as warning and info icons. The earlier Lexus models with push button start had "ENGINE - START/STOP", now they have the international power button icon:

Same for CRUISE control. For the cruise control stalk, the icon on the actual switch itself used to say "CRUISE - On/Off". Now it has an icon with a speedometer outline.

That button with the car and tire squigglies is the icon for wheel slippage aka TRAC (traction control) being triggered. My 2004 IS has this same icon on the dash. As for VSC and TRAC icon lit like that.... I will leave it to your imagination until Aug 15. :
Old 08-03-06, 05:27 AM
dnszoom
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kensteele
so now i'm curious. i just did the dance for the first time and then i drove the car around the block a couple of times. to me, the car was mostly out of control. what is the advantage, what is so great about vsc off? lots of spinning out, fishtail...car didn't appear to drive faster....or does it?
Initially, the unthrottled power may seem 'out of control' but once you become accustomed to how the car 'really' feels, you can control your inputs and feel your accelerating and cornering thresholds.

The VDIM is a great safety feature was probably designed to satisfy most people in most driving conditions. This forum, however, has a higher proportion of speed degenerates (er, I mean performance-oriented enthusiasts - not truly representative of the IS market); hence, our driving need to have an unabated connection to our cars.
Old 08-03-06, 08:49 AM
SolaraToIS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dnszoom
The VDIM is a great safety feature was probably designed to satisfy most
people in most driving conditions. This forum, however, has a higher proportion of speed
degenerates (er, I mean performance-oriented enthusiasts - not truly representative of the IS
market); hence, our driving need to have an unabated connection to our cars.
I wish to compliment you on being one of the very few to make an intelligent and meaningful
comment about the VDIM feature.
Old 08-03-06, 09:31 AM
mort
Lead Lap

I agree...well stated
Old 08-03-06, 05:27 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dnszoom
Initially, the unthrottled power may seem 'out of control' but once you become accustomed to how the car 'really' feels, you can control your inputs and feel your accelerating and cornering thresholds.

The VDIM is a great safety feature was probably designed to satisfy most people in most driving conditions. This forum, however, has a higher proportion of speed degenerates (er, I mean performance-oriented enthusiasts - not truly representative of the IS market); hence, our driving need to have an unabated connection to our cars.
Thanks for the reply, so yes i am doing the dance more and more often to see what it is really all about. So far so good, we'll see if I can make use of it. Guess that's pretty cool that future model years will have a switch.

One thing I don't like I've been use to the car auto braking for me sometimes and now that doesn't seem to be happening...gotta be careful.